BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

E46 Compact rear headrests

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  woody underwood 
#1 ·
E46 Compact rear headrests
Hey guys a few month ago I scratched my rear centre headrest whist moving some stuff.
I found one today in a scrap yard that matches YAY !!! but I cant get the damn thing off lift up 2 -3 notches than SOLID

Any help please?

Cheers

#3 ·
Thanks mate
not much help i'm afraid , seem the compact has a different style. instead of two seperate bars its one in a shape like this l_l but the other way round.
not sure if I have to take the whole back seat appart or what to get into them but not a happy camper lol

#9 ·
Hey guys thanks for the replies.

I dont wanna doubt your wisdom but have any of you done this on a Compact as they seem different from the coupe/saloon etc.

The headrests are in the seat itself and there is now release clip or anything and when I said they are solid I mean SOLID I guess there must be some kind of retaining clip inside the seat but not sure how to get into it.

Any help?????

#10 ·
I haven't done it on a Compact. However, this is how it is on my sedan: there is no button, there is just a retaining clip of some kind. It's spring loaded so you just have to get the notch in the post past the retaining clip. It felt pretty solid to me when I tried it for the first time, but then after some searching I realized you just have to push up pretty hard.

It can't hurt to go out to the car and try what I mentioned, just don't push too hard if you are afraid you are going to break something.

#11 ·
Maybe a little squirt of lubricant can help. Always good when things are tight. Makes everything much more enjoyable.

We ARE talking about headrests, right???

Try one of the several kinds of Teflon-based "Dry" lubes to avoid a mess. Like Oz, I am betting the system used is via a notched bar and spring clips, as shown in the last three of my pictures in the link I sent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.