BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

X3: Tire and Rim Insurance

9K views 49 replies 26 participants last post by  guyver626 
#1 ·
How many of you have or haven't bought the insurance and used it?

#3 ·
Purchased it.

#4 ·
I am against it. It a gamble, and the dealer has much better odds. Most tires themselves come with one year manufactural warranty. Chances are you will need to change run-flat tires every two years, that means half of the time you don't even need the additional warranty. Plus, you can always have the flexibility to change to cheaper and quieter normal tires.

#7 · (Edited)
...Most tires themselves come with one year manufactural warranty. ...
No more road hazard coverage as part of the warranty from OEM tire manufacturer (in the U.S. at least). I checked with my dealer service, who confirmed what I discovered on TireRack.

#5 · (Edited)
I have it an my mother has it she has gotten three nails and replaced her tires three times at a would be cost of $1500 total so far that the warranty has covered. I think it depends on where you live, we live in the city so we have potholes and other crazy things on the road. She is about to claim for curb rash as she hit a curb so either they will fix it or replace it either way the warranty has paid for itself.

#8 ·
For what it's worth, Canadian dealers are currently pushing free excessive wear and tear insurance but I'm not sure if this is the same kind of thing. They value it at $1,159 and I can't imagine you'd need to scrub more than one curb for it to pay off. If it does indeed cover rims and tires, "free" is a pretty decent deal.

#10 ·
#12 ·
Did not buy. I live in the city and drive about 18K miles annually and only had 4 flats after 25 years. The last 2 occurred about the same time 15 years ago when we moved into a new subdivision still with ongoing construction. Depends on where you live, but chances of incurring a flat with the heavier rubber is lessened with RFs.

#14 ·
Nails in runflat can be repair despite what the dealer say, as long as you have not driven on it with zero air. $1500 will buy about 5 runflat tires, I think had maybe 2 non-repairable flat tires in my 30 years of driving in Boston. Tires insurance does come in handy for BMW with low profile tires, but on the X3, its not necessary in my opinion.

#15 ·
I thought it can only be repaired as long as it is located in the middle if its near the side or anywhere outside the middle of the tire it can not be repaired and must be replaced due to the integrity of the tire.

#17 ·
I went with the policy, not because I love insurance (I don't) but because the policy replaces damaged tires & wheels and does not repair them. I have not gotten many flats from nails/screws but have damaged some tires and wheels with e.g. New England potholes. The policy also covers Winter wheels/tires, should I choose to get these. YMMV.

#19 ·
I agonized over whether or not I should get the tire warranty while waiting for my car to be built. About a month before I pick my car up I ran over a giant nail in my old car that cost me about 5 bucks to fix. After finding out that you cannot patch runflat tires I decided it would be a good investment for me I'm prone for whatever reason to to be a nail magnet when it comes to my tires. I took delivery of my car in September and by November I ran over my first nail in my new x3. I found out that a replacement tire for my car would cost me $468.78 w/o the warranty. Thankfully I decided to get the tire warranty so I only had to pay $50.

SO for the peace of mind it is worth it to me. plus the warranty is a six year warranty and is not limited to Miles to my understanding. I have already put over 10,000 miles on my car.

#21 ·
I agonized over whether or not I should get the tire warranty while waiting for my car to be built. About a month before I pick my car up I ran over a giant nail in my old car that cost me about 5 bucks to fix. After finding out that you cannot patch runflat tires I decided it would be a good investment for me I'm prone for whatever reason to to be a nail magnet when it comes to my tires. I took delivery of my car in September and by November I ran over my first nail in my new x3. I found out that a replacement tire for my car would cost me $468.78 w/o the warranty. Thankfully I decided to get the tire warranty so I only had to pay $50.

SO for the peace of mind it is worth it to me. plus the warranty is a six year warranty and is not limited to Miles to my understanding. I have already put over 10,000 miles on my car.
A nail in a tire, runflat or not, can be repair, if its not near the sidewall. Usually, with a nail, it is a slow leak, if you keep the runflat tire somewhat pressurized, it can be patch. The replacement tires on the X3 in a tire store is about $200, $470 is probably the dealer's price. If you change one tire at any major tire chain store, most chain will offer you tire insurance for all 4 tires at about $40 a tire, about 10% of what BMW charged.

#20 ·
Have it on our new X3 picked up mid-January. Had it on previous cars as well but never used. I have the 5 year policy I believe. More interested in the wheels than the tires.

#29 · (Edited)
Tire & Wheel Protection

BMW Wheel & Protection warranty I purchased for my 2013 X3 xDrive 35i.

Had a 2004 X3 3.0 earlier that went through a set in around every 35,000 miles plus at around $1,000 a set for Pirelli Scorpions. Then once had a damaged tire sort of close to when I would have gotten new tires and would have liked to driven a bit more, but decided to change all four then. I guess the point was if I had the extended warranty I wouldn't have had to agonize over the lost money and tread wear? It was weird because I suspected it was punctured on purpose but didn't have any real proof.

With the 2013 X3 3.0 decided to get the 19" wheels and the car comes with the Run-On-Flat Goodyears. Not having any experience with that tire, and concerned when Road & Track or someone broke a long term test BMW 19" wheel through their typically rough driving, thought I would cover myself or at least ease my concerns by getting the warranty.

Have 6,500+ miles on the car in five months so drive a lot, hit a lot of potholes, etc. so at least it does the "ease my concern" part and otherwise haven't had any problems with the tires and wheels so far - I typically drive around 13,000 miles a year and the X3 is a key component of my livelihood as I drive to see clients several times a week with 60-100 mile round trips being the norm.

#30 ·
Purchased it.

#42 ·
I wasn't planning on purchasing it. I did not get it with my first BMW and when I ordered this one I told myself I was not going to get it.

But when I was sitting there signing the papers on pick up night for some reason I changed my mind. Now that I have it I am happy I do, nice feeling that I don't have to worry if I can't swerve to miss a pothole and take a tire and wheel out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.