BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2013 or 2014

3K views 29 replies 17 participants last post by  Weaselboy 
#1 ·
I have recently worked out a deal on a new 2013 328 Sport Package with premium and technology package, however, I am wondering if I should wait for the 2014 before buying. The car I am negotiating on does not have Xenon, backup camera and side sonar, that is all that is missing. The deal seems pretty fair, but just contemplating because this will be the first brand new one I buy. Any thoughts from any of the more experienced and knowledgable ones out there? Thanks for your time....

#2 ·
Without numbers, it is pointless to comment on your particular situation. Obviously it has to include interest rates and all discounts.

Generally I prefer the newest year even if that means paying 10% more on the buying price (not payments if leasing). A good chunk of it will be recouped at resale.

#3 ·
Good point. I apologize for not posting more specifics. The 2013 car has a sticker price of $47,500 and I can purchase or lease (haven't decided yet) for $43,000.

There aren't any available 2014s yet to know for sure what to compare to, but the car would be equal in options and price as the 2013. My dilemma is wondering if the 2014 is worth waiting for over the 2013.

Here are some pics of the 2013:

Attachments

#13 ·
Good point. I apologize for not posting more specifics. The 2013 car has a sticker price of $47,500 and I can purchase or lease (haven't decided yet) for $43,000.

There aren't any available 2014s yet to know for sure what to compare to, but the car would be equal in options and price as the 2013. My dilemma is wondering if the 2014 is worth waiting for over the 2013.

Here are some pics of the 2013:
I can assure you without an ounce of doubt there will not be a $4,500 discount from MSRP on a 2014.

#4 ·
Find out the numbers first on the 2014. I went for it last month on an order and took advantage of the $750 cash and $1000 event deal. Plus , check with your CA on the difference between the 2013 and 2014 model upgrades. I believe the 2014 price went up a tiny bit but nothing to be upset about. If you're leasing, check out the Residuals. That may have changed from last month. I believe a 2013 will have a lower residual based upon this point in the year. May not be very attractive imo. Good luck! :thumbup:

#10 ·
Like everything, it will be a tradeoff.

I imagine there will be pricing breaks on the 13 due to the 14 coming out. however the resale value of the 14 in 3 years will probably be higher based on the model year designation.

I would see if there is anything on the 14 that is a "must have" for you that you can't get on the 13. If not, money-wise for a lease, the 13 will most likely be a better deal as dealerships will want to clear out the old to make way for the new.

#11 ·
Like everything, it will be a tradeoff.

I imagine there will be pricing breaks on the 13 due to the 14 coming out. however the resale value of the 14 in 3 years will probably be higher based on the model year designation.

I would see if there is anything on the 14 that is a "must have" for you that you can't get on the 13. If not, money-wise for a lease, the 13 will most likely be a better deal as dealerships will want to clear out the old to make way for the new.
2014's saw price increases, but come with "enhanced iDrive hardware" (i.e. starts a little faster), as well as navigation improvements.

So unless you are getting the technology package with navigation, there is no, I repeat, NO, improvements on paper.

If you are leasing, the 13 will give a way better payment than a 14, and thus you don't need to worry about being "outdated".

If you are buying, then by all means pay a little more for your 14.

#12 ·
Etcamp, since you are getting the technology package I suggest you wait for a 2014. The new navigation is supposedly much better than the old one.

#18 ·
Not sure, but I believe it's the Southern California market. Everyone appears to be selling under Msrp -- both for 2013 and 2014 orders - even truecar says the price you should pay for my zip code is $300 under invoice.

There are just tons of dealers out here all battling each other for customers I think. Shrug.

I will say this though -- I called some dealers in Nevada and Arizona and none would sell for less than $500 over invoice. So I think this may be a local market thing?

#21 · (Edited)
my 2014 328i (wagon) order iirc was 100-200 over invoice. would be below invoice with drive event $1000 credit, which is just too much effort for me :)

i have a passport unlimited card, which starts you off with -6% off msrp at minimum before incentives (at bmw seattle).. and gives you some sort of weekend/game day parking privileges for what that's worth :dunno:

"Employees receive 6% off MSRP of any new BMW. We will bring the car to you for a test drive. Plus, receive complimentary car washes Mon***8211;Sat 7-4. Complimentary Game Day parking M-Sat. after 6:00 pm and Sunday all day with any new or used purchase from Seattle BMW."

sales associate indicated at the outset that they generally don't want to go any lower than card + incentives, and having done the math and looked at truecar/etc beforehand, it seemed like a better than average but not ridiculous deal... about what i expected.

#20 · (Edited)
As a backup I am locked in at 3 percent through bmw fs -- who knows , maybe when I pick up the car that is in production and sign the contract ill be told I have to finance through bmw? In that case ill refi after three or six months to my credit union if the interest rate is still lower.

But it was my understanding I could finance through my credit union and get this deal.

And I have email with the price listed that I'm paying... So it isn't just a verbal deal.

#22 ·
For zip code 90806, Truecar shows a base 328i with an MSRP of $37,775 -- average paid of $35,954, invoice of $35,425 and TrueCar price estimate of $35,060.

Change that to 98104 (Seattle), and the Target Price jumps to $36,642.

But go to the San Francisco Bay Area (Hayward), and the truecar price estimate goes down to $34,135.

I'm amazed at the big difference in price estimate based on where you live. :dunno:

Is BMW setting different pricing for different regions, or are dealers in Seattle really selling cars for $1,500 more than in Southern California and taking the profit because there is less competition from other dealers?

Or is Truecar wrong with its pricing estimates?

#25 ·
I just got my 335i in so cal over the weekend and I paid $500 over invoice. But really I paid $700 over because I paid 925 instead of 725 on the acq fee. I was happy to pay a small premium because they found an Eb without wood trim and other options I wanted and didn't want without having to wait by ordering. It's a lease so I didn't see the point in waiting. Plus residual will be about 2% lower on the 2014. Most Internet sales people in so cal will give you 500 over invoice.

#27 ·
Purchasing/Leasing your new BMW is a major investment. Be sure and do your homework and get what you want. Getting ALL of the available options will cost you over $50K. Do your review on the available options and see what you really want. Don't just settle for what is convenient now

My top suggestions are to be sure and get:

* Sports Suspension
* Xenon Lights

The stock suspension is way too soft and the standard halogen lights are..... PATHETIC at best when compared to the Xenons.

I also have the HK sound system. A very nice option if you REALLY enjoy listening to a lot of different types of music. Movie soundtracks are amazing with the HK. If you just turn on the radio for background noise, then don't invest on it.

My "Sport Line" also came with an M-Sport steering wheel. This was a glitch in the BMW order process that allowed it to happen. To me, it was a gift. If I was ordering another BMW today, I would opt for the M Package if nothing else than to get the M-Sport steering wheel! Ha!!!

To me, I had no interest in the Heads Up Display or any of the camera stuff. Besides, I don't like the way the sensors/cameras look stuck all over the bumpers. Just my opinion.

Bottom line... get/order your car the way YOU want it! :thumbup:

#28 · (Edited)
My "Sport Line" also came with an M-Sport steering wheel. This was a glitch in the BMW order process that allowed it to happen. To me, it was a gift. If I was ordering another BMW today, I would opt for the M Package if nothing else than to get the M-Sport steering wheel! Ha!!!
Interesting... I have a 2014 335i in production and the BMW Online tracking (screen below) has been updated to correctly show all my options, and after seeing your comment I noticed it lists the "M steering wheel" as part of my Sport Package. Probably an error on the web site, but maybe I'll end up with a free M steering wheel also? :thumbup:

Edit: From reading some other threads it appears that if the dealer takes an M-Sport and modifies the order to a Sport Line there is a glitch in the ordering system that leaves the M steering wheel on the order for no charge. My order was a dealer allocation that was changed, so here's hoping I get a free M steering wheel!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.