BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

'99 M3 Engine / Clutch (?) Hesitating

4K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Pinecone 
#1 ·
Hi, I have a '99 M3 with almost 80,000 miles, and just today the engine started hesitating, seems to be more pronounced when I'm flooring it. I originally thought it was my clutch slipping, since it seems to gerally be when I'm getting into 1st, but it's sputtered a couple times when I was completely in gear, specifically in low RPMs in 3rd accelerating hard, it jerks as if I had popped the clutch.

I have a Dinan intake (and exhaust), and it kinda seems like the intake isn't sucking in air, could a dirty air filter cause this kind of problem?

Any help is appreciated ... just kinda scared I'm gonna have to come with $1000 for a new clutch.

JD

#2 ·
jd501 said:
Hi, I have a '99 M3 with almost 80,000 miles, and just today the engine started hesitating, seems to be more pronounced when I'm flooring it. I originally thought it was my clutch slipping, since it seems to gerally be when I'm getting into 1st, but it's sputtered a couple times when I was completely in gear, specifically in low RPMs in 3rd accelerating hard, it jerks as if I had popped the clutch.

I have a Dinan intake (and exhaust), and it kinda seems like the intake isn't sucking in air, could a dirty air filter cause this kind of problem?

Any help is appreciated ... just kinda scared I'm gonna have to come with $1000 for a new clutch.

JD
Have you had your fuel filter replaced? Clogged Fuel filter, Clogged Catalytic converter could also be something..

#3 ·
It could be a very wide range of things..I'm 99.9% sure that it isn't your clutch though..Because the ECU handles just about everything in that car, I would first advise a trip to the nearest scanner and see if the ECU returns any errors...Also check to see if it will do the same with DSC turn off...Because it sounds alot like the crappy shut down that DSC will do when you dump into second, meaning that there could be an issue with DSC...How long has it been since you had the timing chain looked at? Other things to consider:
-compression check...(don't be scared if #5 is a little lower, it will almost always be)
-change plugs...(get a good exspensive set of plugs)

#4 ·
Drove again this morning ...

... and I'm more and more thinking it's the clutch ... I'm used to getting into first a bit under 1000 RPMs, and I think it just can't handle that anymore, and I really was popping the clutch yesterday. When I rev above 1000 to get into first is seems to act normal.

Dawgbone, the DSC suggestion makes tons of sense though the way I explained the original post, I really appreciate that ... my DSC actually won't turn off though! I had to take in for a smog check last year, they couldn't dyno it because the DSC kept kicking in. You press the button and nothing happens.

I bought it used from a dealer almost three years ago, and it's actually still under warrenty, but I just haven't had time to get that fixed ...

Thanks for the replies.

#5 ·
jd501 said:
... and I'm more and more thinking it's the clutch ... I'm used to getting into first a bit under 1000 RPMs, and I think it just can't handle that anymore, and I really was popping the clutch yesterday. When I rev above 1000 to get into first is seems to act normal.

Dawgbone, the DSC suggestion makes tons of sense though the way I explained the original post, I really appreciate that ... my DSC actually won't turn off though! I had to take in for a smog check last year, they couldn't dyno it because the DSC kept kicking in. You press the button and nothing happens.

I bought it used from a dealer almost three years ago, and it's actually still under warrenty, but I just haven't had time to get that fixed ...

Thanks for the replies.
I'm not sure on e36, but I know that you cannot dyno an e46 past 6500 rpms..regardless if DSC is on or off..And I have yet to dyno my car(no smogs in Louisiana)..I know that there are ways to trick the ECU, but never cared to research it..

Really, if your clutch was going out, then getting into it at low revs(torqueing) would easily cause you clutch to slip IF your clutch was on the brink of failing..You would easily notice this by the revs getting higher and the car just inching along..Not really the way you explained it..I could not see nor ever seen it pop/jerk or sputter from a faulting clutch..
Where does the car start to engage(peddle position)?? Is it hard to downshift or just get into first after a stop??

In nuetral, does the car rev like it should..If it does and then only acts up in gear..then I would definately look into a compression check and /or checking for leaks where your Dinan intake meets the head..

#6 ·
dawgbone said:
I'm not sure on e36, but I know that you cannot dyno an e46 past 6500 rpms..regardless if DSC is on or off..And I have yet to dyno my car(no smogs in Louisiana)..I know that there are ways to trick the ECU, but never cared to research it..

Really, if your clutch was going out, then getting into it at low revs(torqueing) would easily cause you clutch to slip IF your clutch was on the brink of failing..You would easily notice this by the revs getting higher and the car just inching along..Not really the way you explained it..I could not see nor ever seen it pop/jerk or sputter from a faulting clutch..
Where does the car start to engage(peddle position)?? Is it hard to downshift or just get into first after a stop??

In nuetral, does the car rev like it should..If it does and then only acts up in gear..then I would definately look into a compression check and /or checking for leaks where your Dinan intake meets the head..
Hm, it engages at about where I expect it to, but it definitely feels like it's popping / sputtering, no hi revs. No problem downshifting, just getting into first. I'll look into the compression.

The dealers probably gonna give me a hard time about the aftermarket stuff, I should go independent?

Any good experiences with independents in the Santa Monica, CA area?

#11 ·
Pinecone said:
Told you so. :)
Yeah, that was very insightful :)

Did you have the same problem at some point?

Also, before I took it in I had been having a rough idle for as long as I can remember, where it would idle at about 700 but dip to 500 every minute or so ... seems to be fixed now.

Gotta make this car last until the V8 E90 M3 :)

#12 ·
Not yet, just have been paying attention to E36 M3s and MZ3s issues for serveral years, and this it not uncommon. The other one that tends to give similar symptoms is the cam position sensor, and it is also not uncommon.

I may pre-emptively change the plug connectors on both the LTW and the M Roadster. I would like to go to Laser coil packs, but a bunch of money to do two cars. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.