BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

MTech Style Rear Bumper vs. Non-MTech Rear Bumper

8K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  JPetrillo 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I am seriously considering a quad exhaust for my 528i. Unfortunately, the stock bumper on my car does not have a cutout for the exhaust on both sides; it is only on the driver's side. So, now I am seriously considering buying this rear bumper to go along with my new exhaust, rather than cutting my current bumper.

Can anyone provide a side-by-side comparison so I can see what the MTech style rear bumper looks like in comparison to the standard non-MTech factory bumper? This will be the determining factor as to whether or not I replace the bumper as I need to see what it looks like.

Thank you so much in advance!

#5 ·
Great idea! I did this, and now I see the difference. The M Sport rear bumper looks a bit more aggressive, but not a HUGE difference from the non-M Sport bumper.

How much to paint the bumper?

Also - I'm sure you've considered this but would you be happy with having one sport bumper and one non-sport bumper? I wouldn't and I'm not usually fussy about that sort of stuff...
I didn't look into the cost yet to have the bumper painted. I would be okay with having one M Sport bumper and one non-M Sport bumper. If anything, now I am starting to think about replacing the front bumper with the M Sport bumper instead.

Not sure yet what I am going to do with the exhaust. I really want the quad Eisenmann exhaust. Maybe I will just keep the bumper I have and cut a hole in the passenger side for the second muffler.

#6 ·
UPDATE: Looks like if anything I'll be replacing the bumper or picking a single exhaust. I went to a body shop and they strongly recommend not cutting the bumper to fit the quad exhaust.

#8 ·
You can also get the regular bumper but from a 550 and that will have the dual cut-out that you need for the quad exhaust.

I have an M-Sport (535) but replaced the rear valance for the 550 for only $90 and it did the trick.

#9 ·
Thanks. That's the only alternative I can find as well. Without cutting the current bumper, seems I need to get the M Sport bumper and then replace the diffuser with the 550 diffuser.

#10 ·
Keep us posted with what you decide. I am in the same pickle. I am looking for a 550i non M-Sport bumper as I like the looks better. I may even wait for the LCI bumpers to come out and snag one of those. I personally don't think it's a big deal to have a M-Sport rear bumper and a standard front bumper. They both have the same lines and distance from the ground. I measured with a buddies F10 parked side by side.

#11 ·
I will update this thread for sure when its done.

What are the LCI bumpers?

I just checked out the 550i bumper and that looks nice too. If I go with the 550i bumper, would I still have to replace the diffuser? Attached is an image of the exact bumper/diffuser I am asking about.

Attachments

#13 · (Edited)
So here are my latest thoughts... I'm leaning towards getting the M Sport rear bumper and swapping out the diffuser with the M5 diffuser. However, will the M5 diffuser fit on the M Sport bumper? I like the M5 diffuser much more than the 550i diffuser. When I compare the 528i M Sport rear bumper compared to the M5 rear bumper on bmwusa.com, it looks like the same exact bumper with the only difference being the diffuser. So what I'll probably do is order the M Sport bumper with the quad setup and if I don't like the way it looks then I can always replace the diffuser with the M5 diffuser at a later point in time. I need to sleep on it, but I'm getting ready to make a purchase soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.