BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Anyone miss their e60?

4K views 23 replies 22 participants last post by  jagu 
#1 ·
Spent 2 weeks with my "new" 2013 535ix, cpo, 38k miles. Previously owned 2004 and '07 530 and '10 535ix. Initial impressions are that this is a phenomenal car, but I'm trying to figure out if I really like it more than the e60, especially the '10 xdrive which is closest to the f10 xdrive. My first impression is that this feels like a much bigger car. The e60 was like a big 3 series but the f10 is like a small 7 series. The e60 felt and sounded faster, there was an immediacy to its acceleration and you certainly got much more engine noise, but in a good way. The f10 is certainly more isolated, the feeling of which is compounded by the electric power steering. BTW, I don't have the sport package, so I have the thin steering wheel which I don't like. The e60's all had a nice thick steering wheel; this shouldn't be part of an option package. Having owned 3 e60's, I loved the styling. It was daring and you certainly knew one when it was coming at you. While often criticized, many of the the styling cues were eventually picked up by other vehicles, especially the wrap around headlights and tail lights. You have to look hard at an approaching newer model BMW to tell which model it is. I guess the middle of the styling spectrum is safer. I hope the f10 can redeem itself with reliability. My '10 e60 had multiple issues including replacement of the high pressure fuel pump and module, all injectors replaced twice, cat converters replaced, etc. All warranty covered, including the hpfp that went at 85k miles. Hard to complain when the dealer gives you a new 4 series to drive for a week. The CPO deals are hard to beat; .9% financing and an additional 12 months service. So let's hear from the former e60 owners.

See less See more
#2 ·
Never owned an E60, had 2 6MT 3-series prior to my first (of 2) F10's. The F10 is now in it's 6th year of production, the E60 will soon be just a fond memory for those who had one. As you may know, the F10 is the best-selling 5-series ever produced -- many people obviously like it over the previous gens. It will be interesting to see how the new G30 falls in, and which direction it will head in. I saw a nice E90 this evening, and I think it's arguable that it was "better" than the current F30 -- I know the few loaners I had were underwhelming. Time marches on, as they say, things don't stay the same.

#7 ·
I had a 2005 545i sport and I sure miss it. My 2011 550 is a great car, but the design (IMHO) is more subdued than the E60. I also sometimes have a hard time telling the difference form 3 or 5 series and now 7 with how they all look very similar. PLUS cup holder position on the F10 TERRIBLE. In the end though its an amazing car and I love it despite the negative points mentioned.

#8 ·
The f10 is certainly more isolated, the feeling of which is compounded by the electric power steering.
The F10's the xDrive don't have the electric steering. It still uses a standard setup.

One thing I really don't miss on my E60 was the non-driver-centric dashboard especially with a MT. I do miss having a MT on most days but the F10 is too isolated to make driving a MT enjoyable without having to pipe a fake exhaust note into the cabin.

The E60 is quite dated and if you're comparing the E60 to the F10 then why not bring in the E39 which ruled the tree in terms of delivering a true sports sedan.

#21 · (Edited)
The F10's the xDrive don't have the electric steering. It still uses a standard setup.

One thing I really don't miss on my E60 was the non-driver-centric dashboard especially with a MT. I do miss having a MT on most days but the F10 is too isolated to make driving a MT enjoyable without having to pipe a fake exhaust note into the cabin.

The E60 is quite dated and if you're comparing the E60 to the F10 then why not bring in the E39 which ruled the tree in terms of delivering a true sports sedan.
Check out the performance exhaust, it's perfect and growly (like an E90 335 sport) of course I am a weirdo that ordered an MT 535 without NAV so keep that in mind. Cost and install probably around $1700. Another thing is to get the M5/650 sway bars, ACS springs installed for around about $2000 more.

My only major gripe with F10 is the steering, it's soooo vague and bad, and especially noticeable when I was jumping back and forth from my (now gone) E46 or E90 and back into the F10. My F10 warranty pops in September 2016 (wow, 4 years already!) and I'm on the fence about what to do - it's nearly paid for and only has 21k miles on it and has never had an issue. Now is when I usually go for mods like the aforementioned sways/springs but I'm not sure it's worth it when it will have the same steering.

Also: I am a fan of the more conservative BMW styles and "one sausage, three lengths" old school philosophy over "experiments" like the E60 and E65. I've driven E60 and liked it a lot (at least the inside) and spent a lot of time driving an E39 when they were new since my pops had one (wish he would have kept it instead of going for an ill advised used E38 experiment).

#9 ·
I had a e60 530i with MT and it was a great ride. It was non sport so I got a e92 coupe with sport and MT!

MY F10 535i with MT is a great cruiser and on the highway all good in Comfort. The car when pushed hard in sport setting in town does respond very well for a big girl!!
I can't seem to find that perfect mix of the three.

#10 ·
I do miss my last three E39s. 530, 540 M-Sport and 525 in that order. I don't think I'd own 3 F10's.

funny, I hardly see E60's around anymore - they just seemed to disappear one day. When I do, they look so dated - ironic that now 7 years later 3% of me has warmed up to the look. It sure as hell drove better than it looked which is a complete opposite to the F10.

#20 ·
So true. I rarely ever see one, and when I do, it does seem outdated. I did a vin search on my old E60 and since i Sold it in 2011 it has been through 3 different owners and an accident since then. It was fun while it lasted and had a blast with it (SMG tranny at times was a pain but it was fun)

#11 ·
I had an 08 535i non-sport. I loved the look of the car. It was easy to pick out of the crowd. There are a ton of BMWs in Toronto and I feel my F10 just blends in. If I see one coming toward me I have to wait til it passes to see if it was another F10 or 3 or 7. Very hard to tell at a glance even from the rear.
My F10 sadly doesn't have Comfort seats like my E60 did. Next time I'll make them a priority.
I like the quickness of the F10 over the E60.
I obviously hate the F10 runflats versus the E60 regular tires but surprisingly the F10 has a much more pleasing ride (personal preference here) despite the runflats. My F10 has had more flats than any car I've ever owned (2 flats and multiple bubbles versus NONE in the past). Have 4 bent rims out of eight rims on the F10 vs none on the E60.
F10 is the most reliable so far.

#12 · (Edited)
E60 = the ugliest BMW ever made. The 5-series is such the perfect BMW in terms of balance of looks, size, performance and options. I skipped the E60, they just got it wrong. The F10 was the best BMW I have owned (see list in my sig) and closer to the E39 which was also an incredible machine. The E60 looks like a Camry. Just my opinion.

#13 ·
No.

#14 ·
Went from a 740Sport to a 530xi (e60) ... And immediately missed my V-8! But then going from the e60 to the F10 535xDrive the thrill was back! Great powerplant + decent technology + wonderful seats ... Really debating about trading my '13 F10 for a '17 X5 ?!?!

#24 · (Edited)
You will love the X5. it handles better than the F10 in my opinion and the engine seems to move it better.

#16 ·
I had two E60's, a 2005 530 and a 2008 535 both with Sport Package and I'm now on my second F10. I hated the 2005 mostly because of the Active Steering but I really loved the 2008. It was due to be replaced about the time the F10 came out and since I was reluctant to get the first year of a new model I had serious thoughts on keeping the 2008 535.

I ordered a 2011 335i M-Sport and later added the Performance Upgrade and it turned out to be a fast, fun car except it really hurt my back to get in and out of it.
I sold it after a year or so and ordered a 2012 535 with Sport Package and loved it!

Today is the one year birthday of my current 2015 535 M-Sport and so far out of 10 BMW's this is my all time hands down favorite by an extremely wide margin.
If I had to answer why I would have to say drivability. I never even have to think about what direction it's going because it almost knows what I want before I tell it.

On a scale of 1-10 I would rate my (2) E60's and (2) F10's as follows:
2005 E60 530......3
2008 E60 535......7
2012 F10 535......8
2015 F10 535......10

So although the 2008 was really nice car I don't miss the E60 at all. In my humble opinion the F10 is the best looking fast sedan on the road and it drives perfectly. It's hard for me not to love it! :)

From what I've seen of the G30 and guessing what will carry over from the new 7 Series I will be keeping the one I have for a long, long time. The couple of new 7's I've seen around town are about as ugly as ugly can get and it's not growing on me so far.

#18 ·
I still have an E61. I had an E39 some years ago. We've also had 325, 740, and 2 850s. IMHO the f10 is best of the lot. But I'm older now. Maybe that means I am getting soft. ..... Nah, then I'd get a MB.

#19 ·
I loved my E60 during the five problem free years I owned it but I really love my F10. People drive certain cars for different reasons and I was never as much concerned about performance except when it really counted and find my F10 has plenty of get up and go to suit my driving style. I was surprised how I felt as I watched the new owner of my E60 drive it away but got over it pretty quick.

Tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.