Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 02-16-2015, 01:15 PM

Mein Auto: 530i, 330i, M3
You are allowed one sensor in not ready status under the latest rules. Was your catch can visible? Did the tech ask about it or recognize that it was present?
Old 02-16-2015, 01:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 540I/6 Sport
Right, 2001 and newer your allowed 1 "incomplete" DTS. I believe 2000 and below your allowed 2. The only way it could have been more visible is if it hit him in the face. I didn't say *ish and he didn't either.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
Thanks. I'm still confused, but trying to understand how this mod works.

It's interesting that the baffling can be as simple as steel wool!

See also this post today:

I was also confused by the filtration requirement for this application and I thought it is best to get good wilkerson coalescing filter (boro silicate with specifications up to 0.5 microns) . A coalescing filter cartridge is like a cylinder whose walls are porous. http://www.zoro.com/i/G0414154/
It is great for warm weather but for very cold weather <32F this filter freezes.

In my case when it froze first time I drilled holes in bottom which worked fine but this winter even those big holes froze so I have completely drilled out the bottom. So now filter is just a simple baffle and it works great. Car had developed a oil in leak in barely 6 month old valve cover gasket due to freezing of drilled out filter however since I drilled out the bottom of filter the leak itself disappeared due to good amount of vacuum.

So overall filtration requirement is very low and good vacuum in crankcase/value cover seals leaks and prevents oil consumption as well (due to better sealing at piston rings).
Old 02-16-2015, 07:33 PM

I don't see why you need any filtration at all. You have an oil filter already.

I think the reduction in oil consumption due to NOT sucking it up from the crankcase and dumping it into the intake is far in excess of any benefit from improved piston ring seal. Although that can't hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vclifford View Post
I was also confused by the filtration requirement for this application and I thought it is best to get good wilkerson coalescing filter (boro silicate with specifications up to 0.5 microns) . A coalescing filter cartridge is like a cylinder whose walls are porous. http://www.zoro.com/i/G0414154/
It is great for warm weather but for very cold weather <32F this filter freezes.

In my case when it froze first time I drilled holes in bottom which worked fine but this winter even those big holes froze so I have completely drilled out the bottom. So now filter is just a simple baffle and it works great. Car had developed a oil in leak in barely 6 month old valve cover gasket due to freezing of drilled out filter however since I drilled out the bottom of filter the leak itself disappeared due to good amount of vacuum.

So overall filtration requirement is very low and good vacuum in crankcase/value cover seals leaks and prevents oil consumption as well (due to better sealing at piston rings).
Old 02-18-2015, 07:35 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
A related E46 thread came in today ...
> E46 (1999 - 2006) > serious need to re engineer CCV system
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillsmokin View Post
A few days ago my 2004 330XI had its SECOND CCV failure.

This one lasted approximately 70,000 miles. I had upgraded to the Canadian or cold climate package 4 years ago, which is slightly better but, not a fix in my mind.

The last failure it sucked the valve cover gaskets in and puked oil everywhere setting a stack of DTC's. This time it failed during the warm up cycle and sucked enough oil into the motor to kill spark, no DTC's. There was no warning, no oil consumption, no chewbacca noise just BOOM! It smoked white like a diesel pulling tractor when I got it to start and smelled like a tire pile burning. It just quit on my wife at 5AM and she somehow limped it home, jumped in our 282,000 mile Oldsmobile (which has never had crankcase ventilation issues), and took off to work.

We actually daily drive the 330XI, it has 150,000+ miles and gets serviced at 3,000 mile intervals like all my other vehicles. It is a highway and interstate use vehicle, not a short hopper. We use it, that means rain, hail, and blizzards. It's all wheel drive and that's why we bought it. In the constantly changing climate like Nebraska's, the engineering of this system is just a failure. We have huge temperature fluctuations, humidity swings, and airborne dirt is surreal. When I worked for GM this was a severe use climate. The BMW CCV always seems to fail in the winter!

Crankcase ventilation systems were an issue on old inline sixes, they used to have issues with blocks of ice forming in the oil pan during winter months starving the sump of oil... but the US automakers solved this problem before most of us were born.

If the owners of these cars were to organize and call out BMW on this issue perhaps the issue will be resolved. I don't understand why people would continue to buy these cars if this particular system has caused so many people, so many costly or catastrophic problems. It is absurd to read about engines which have hydraulic locked due to this failed system. This is just a violation of customer trust, my advice to BMW is to admit they royally F'ed up the M54 CCV and fix it. In the US we call it a voluntary recall.

Or the aftermarket needs to get something better engineered out on the market soon. I like this car but, I have decided to put off buying another new BMW until solutions for their very old problems come to light.

In conclusion the Canadian or cold climate CCV lasted no longer than the original system in an actual real world test. The M54 CCV has a condensation issue in cold weather that needs to be dealt with. It's now obvious BMW knew about the issue in the engineering phase, thus a Canadian CCV system was put together, which was an attempt at a cheap fix to get the product out to market. I'm sure everyone is tired of replacing the CCV on a regular basis.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:59 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyride View Post
I don't see why you need any filtration at all. You have an oil filter already.

I think the reduction in oil consumption due to NOT sucking it up from the crankcase and dumping it into the intake is far in excess of any benefit from improved piston ring seal. Although that can't hurt.
In a PVC/CCV system filtration is of air from crankcase/valve cover so that oil droplets do not get fed to air intake and create carbon deposits on valves and piston. Oil filter is a separate item.

Oil suction only happens when the system is blocked due to ice, which happens only when temp <32F. otherwise better Vacuum = better seals = Less oil consumption
Old 02-24-2015, 07:02 AM
Driving Dorethy

Mein Auto: Crapcans
I finished the conversion this weekend and within 100 miles I have a blown valve cover gasket. The car has 131K and I suspect this is the original gasket. I saw another post where they had the same issue but their PCV was installed improperly.

I used the same set up as flyride so I'm not sure if it is merely a coincidence or something I did wrong. My main concern is not knowing the root cause...I don't want to replace the gasket and have a repeat failure. The PCV threads are pointed towards the intake and in a vertical orientation.

Last edited by PrimeSuspect; 02-24-2015 at 07:05 AM.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:54 AM

As you point out, the guy that reported an immediate VCG failure had the PCV in backwards and created positive pressure in his crankcase.

You will be putting more stress on the VCG with a higher negative crankcase pressure. If you are on your original gasket, I don't think it's a coincidence, I think you're lucky. Before I ever put the catch can on I went through six (count 'em, six) gaskets over 200K miles. My hypothesis for the frequent VCG failures is that I believe that the CCV design caused frequent, momentary crankcase pressure reversals.

I've been told that the most recent gaskets are of stronger material and should last longer. If you have never changed your oil filter housing gasket, plan on that happening sometime soon too.

I have 1000 miles now on the setup so far, no blown gaskets and my oil consumption is yet to be measurable. Before the CCV bypass I would get less than 500 miles per quart. If I were to lose a gasket at this point, I would change it without concern. If another one blew soon after that one ... well, then I would consider something to temper the crankcase negative pressure.

Last edited by flyride; 02-24-2015 at 09:01 AM.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:00 AM

I (and many others) have strong empirical evidence that oil suction occurs with CCVs even when they are not frozen. The lower part of the CCV gets partially blocked with sludge and it sucks oil on a regular basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vclifford View Post
Oil suction only happens when the system is blocked due to ice, which happens only when temp <32F. otherwise better Vacuum = better seals = Less oil consumption
Old 02-24-2015, 09:04 AM
Driving Dorethy

Mein Auto: Crapcans
Thanks for the input. I've done a lot of work on this car since buying it 1.5 years ago, including the OFH gasket, cooling system and so on. I wasn't sure if having the PCV situated vertically (threads pointed down) mattered. I have the side port on the AMW catch can connected to the IM with the PCV in between the two points.

My oil consumption was similar to yours prior to making the change...anticipating less consumption like others have reported.

Last edited by PrimeSuspect; 02-24-2015 at 09:07 AM.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:13 AM

The vertical orientation was my recommendation to help the PCV valving action. You say that you have the threads toward the intake but they are pointing down - that must mean you have the PCV connection coming out of the top of the intake manifold, not down into the engine, correct? The objective is to ensure that the PCV flows toward the intake manifold.

Your AMW catch can placement is in accordance with their recommendations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeSuspect View Post
Thanks for the input. I've done a lot of work in this car since buying it 1.5 years ago, including the OFH gasket. I wasn't sure if having the PCV situated vertically (threads pointed down) mattered. I have the side port on the AMW catch can connected to the IM with the PCV in between the two points.

My oil consumption was similar to yours prior to making the change...anticipating less consumption like others have reported.