BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Burning too much oil

40K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  KillnTime 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello , just wondering why my 04 330CI burns like 1/2 quart of oil every 700-900 miles!!! could there be a problem? I thought I may be leaking but everything good. The dealer said it may be normal at that mileage;(

#2 ·
Dealers will tell you that a quart every **750 miles** is normal (if you believe THAT, I have a lovely bridge I`d like to sell you). I have my own twisted theory on the "WHY" aspect of this, which revolves around the incomplete & improper break-in of BMW engines when synthetic is used exclusively during break-in. We have good archives here, my rantings are probably on file there, if you want to use the SEARCH function, you can probably retrieve them.

#3 ·
I've obsessed about the oil consumption on my 06 X5 3.0 for almost 2 years now. I give up. I'm now looking at it like I could potentially never change the oil - just top it off. :) Just short of doing a valve job or re-ringing the pistons, I've tried all the various oils, flushes, old wives' tales, etc. Some have yielded decent results, others are questionable. Thicker oil will not get you less consumption! The oil has to possess anti-burnoff properties before your consumption will reduce. I'm currently running Amsoil 0w-30 and consumption is still 1qt every 4k miles if I drive it easy. If I drive it like I stole it or constant highway speeds in excess of 75, then it will burn more.

Don't obsess too much - it will drive you crazy.

As a side note, I have a 2005 325i as well with the M54B25 engine and it hasn't burned a drop in the 1000 miles that I've owned it... and I've definitely driven it like I stole it.

#15 ·
Hi. I know your comment was a while ago but I have the same sort of situation as you regarding oil consumption. I have a 3003 E46 M54 2.2L and the oil consumption is a joke. Full BMW dealership rubber stamped service history and no issues. Just got no idea where the oil goes. It just seems to evaporate. Using 5W 30 fully synthetic and going to go 5W 40 next oil change (which is in the manual as a valid option). Thing is that I had an E36 M52 2.0L for a decade before this one and never used a drop. As an old guy, when you buy a new car the idea that you drive a car off the lot and its using oil is an alien concept. To me an engine has to be whipped to burn oil. That's the mindset. But maybe I just have to accept that putting oil in the engine is just as necessary as putting fuel in the tank and stop worrying about it. If I could get 4000 miles out of a litre of oil I would be well pleased. I am lucky if I get 600 miles. You still getting 4000 miles?

#4 ·
So what is your mileage? Anyway, there are basically two ways that your car can burn oil. The first one is oil passing by the piston rings into the cylinders (caused by wear and tear or improper break-in as Fast Bob is mentioning) and the second is (excessive amounts of) oil being passed into the cylinders via the CVV (oil separating valve) and the air intake.

Especially the last one is quite common, so if you haven't already done so, search for threads about the CVV and possible ways to test this.

#6 ·
What you did not answer is has it always been this way or did it suddenly get worse?

If it just got worse then a CVV on the way out is a possibility. If it's always been this way I would blame poor break in procedures.

We have 2 BMW's 328 and 540. Both at about 135K miles. Neither one consumes any oil. Uses maybe 1/5 quart between 8K mile oil changes.

My son has a TSX we got as a CPO at 60K miles. Used a quart of oil every 1000 miles since we got it (1st owner probably beat the crap out of it from day 1). Now we're paying the price. Cat converter needs to be replaced (CEL), likely contaminated by all the oil. I've read you can actually try washing it.

#7 · (Edited)
Burning Oil

Thanks KeithS for the reply- I would say that this started happening at about 70K , I did have a leak in the oil filter housing gasket which I replaced at that time( no leaks on that end). I was suprised to see the oil light go on again after driving some mileage and thought the leak was back. the car was checked and nothing. They said it was "normal that the engine burns oil" a friend also has a 01 330ci and does not burn a drop as well. Oil is getting expensive and I do feel there is a malfunction of sorts.

Attachments

#8 ·
Thanks KeithS for the reply- I would say that this started happening at about 70K , I did have a leak in the oil filter housing gasket which I replaced at that time( no leaks on that end). I was suprised to see the oil light go on again after driving some mileage and thought the leak was back. the car was checked and nothing. They said it was "normal that the engine burns oil" a friend also has a 01 330ci and does not burn a drop as well. Oil is getting expensive and I do feel there is a malfunction of sorts.
Probably the CVV....pull the plugs, and look for traces of oil....

#13 · (Edited)
my 01 330ci has burnt a quart of oil every 2K or less since I bought it with 53K on it..has 138 k on it now. I have always wondered when this started on my car? from date of delivery? or like you, just started to burn oil one day?...let me know if you ever figure it out, since many links I have read this high oil consumption existed from day one and the dealers told owners to live with it...then they sold them to people like me...but there seems to be no ill impact from it...yet.

I've fixed all leaks, CVV, beisan seals etc, but refuse to go any further. I put 12K/14K a year on my car, so it is only 6 or 7 quarts of oil a year. I get a case of oil and filter, at the dealer, for $77 (with CCA member discount)....so it really isn't that expensive, is it? Since I burn so much, and top it of so much with fresh oil, I only change the oil once a year. But, I have been doing that on the 323 too, since new, so I cannot use that as an excuse. it has 195K on it and burns no oil between changes....NONE!

my opinion is that someone on this forum or fanatics would have figured it out if it was something of even moderate complexity. I think it is poor engine break-in process or faulty oil rings from one of the OEM suppliers, that made it a random issue?

I don't think it is valve guides/seals since you'll typically blow some soot between shifts and at start up when they wear out in excess.

Buy a case of oil IMO....and let me know if you crack the code on your oil consumption issue. thousands of us have not.

#14 · (Edited)
burning too much oil

Thanks again for the info! interesting stuff. My relative has a 01 330Ci with 50K and does not burn any oil yet. The dealer will tell you its Normal for BMWs to burn oil but 1 quart ervery 2K or less? I will have the CVV valve tested and go from there. My dealer charges 9.00 a quart 5w-30, mabey its cheaper by the case. I dont get any puffs or smoke or burning oil smells on start up or leaks. I had the oil filter housing gasket changed and the oil pan gasket changed a while back 60K which were both leaking and now good.

#17 ·
tired of all this oil burning

thank you for all your post its nice knowing I am not alone on this oil consumption issue. Its sad that a high end vehicle should have to be subjected to this kind of thing. I am still putting in about a quart every $4000 miles: :tsk: 2004 330CI

#18 ·
At about 145,000 miles, mine went from burning no oil to burning about a quart every 1,000 to 1,200 miles. But, I also had an issue with the coolant tank exploding on me at 145,000 miles while the car had been driving at 75 MPH for about two hours. I always figured it was something with then pistons or cylnders getting messed up during the overheating that occured. I'll look into the CVV.

#20 ·
wow that is a drastic change! at 145K how much do you put into it per year for maintenance? did you change the timing belt? I have 90K on my 2004 and they tell me I should change the belt. I will always have the oil burning issue.
Per your question on maintenance: I really don't put that much into it. Although I did have 2 month period a year ago where the fuel pump, power steering pump, and coolant resevior all went bad and that cost me some money.

Per the timing belt: huh? I don't think these cars have a timing belt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.