BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

On the fence for Wagon E91 '09 or '08?

1K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  gcreese 
#1 ·
Having taken my time to narrow down the decision to go with BWM over Audi and Volvo, now I'm stuck on either taking a deal on a leftover '08 or waiting for a left over '09.

Can anyone out there suggest a good resource to get detailed info on what exactly changed from '08 to '09? I've looked at images on the web and its very subtle, and I understand the same went for the interior.

The diff works out to be $34,500 for a 2008 with 3K miles or $39,500 for the '09 with 200 miles. Both offer similar configurations.

thoughts?

#2 · (Edited)
Having taken my time to narrow down the decision to go with BWM over Audi and Volvo, now I'm stuck on either taking a deal on a leftover '08 or waiting for a left over '09.

Can anyone out there suggest a good resource to get detailed info on what exactly changed from '08 to '09? I've looked at images on the web and its very subtle, and I understand the same went for the interior.

The diff works out to be $34,500 for a 2008 with 3K miles or $39,500 for the '09 with 200 miles. Both offer similar configurations.

thoughts?
It's true overall that the changes were "subtle", but 2009 was the "facelift" year for the E91. There were sheet metal revisions and more interior colors are now offered. There were some interior ergonomic improvements and the rear wheel track was widened slightly to improve handling. Other than widening the rear track there were no mechanical changes. Otherwise the most noticeable changes were to the front and rear fascias and the front lights and tail lights.

Have you picked up a brochure for the '09 E91?

#3 · (Edited)
The 2009 is the current year, facelifted model. This means:

Revised LED headlamps and taillamps
More "bling" interior bits
Different wheels
Oyster, Saddle Brown and Red-Brown leather replace Terra.
The light wood trim no longer looks like it came from a 1980s Buick.
Kidney grille in one piece, not the mustache look,
Outside mirrors that don't have blind spots the size of Rhode Island (for flat mirrors).

#4 ·
Thanks for the info. This is why I'm going with BMW, people are super informed in here.

The Saddle Brown is going to be the pivot point for me. I wasn't aware that was not an option for '08.

If anyone out there has a local dealer with an '09 Monaco Blue exterior and Saddle Brown interior let me know. The dealers around here don't have it and I'm having a hard time finding a good site that shows what is available in the USA.

#5 ·
I got the monaco/saddle combination for our 09 wagon and it's a beauty!

Another change for 09 that might be relevant is that the navigation system is now hard-drive based and the idrive comes with more buttons.

Best of luck from NYC!

#6 ·
Good luck with your wagon search, you will quickly find that you can't be too picky on options (especially if you want a stick) unless you order it from the factory.

#7 ·
you wanna a lifestyle wagon? or a useful wagon? If useful, definately take Volvo. If lifestyle, then 09 E91 is perfect. It looks better with those rear lights I think. and other changes have been mentioned and are worth getting.

#10 ·
I was a long time Volvo stationwagon owner and switched to a 535i xDrive Sports Wagon. The current Volvo wagons are like caves; you get much better visibility in a BMW, and the car drives much better.

#8 ·
The primary reasons I would get the 09:
I think it looks so much better without the mustache on the kidneys.
The rear tail lights look much better
Updated i-drive is a big one (if you are getting it)

Therefore, if you aren't as concerned with the pre-facelift look and you aren't getting nav, get the 08 or 07.

Have you considered an 07? That is what I have it is the same as the 08. You can save a ton of money that way. My lease is up in Dec and I can't justify the price difference for the 09...

#9 ·
I'd go for the '09 for that price difference. You'll enjoy it more and you'll make up a bit of the difference when you sell it as the '09 will be worth a bit more years from now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.