BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

What's next after 'Inspection 1'?

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  madurodave 
#1 · (Edited)
The last service performed on our 2008 X3 was at the dealer with 33k miles. It was what I believe is called 'Inspection 1'. I intend to do my own oil changes (and any other recommended maintenance) in between the 'free' dealer changes at 5k mile intervals. So for my next oil change, is there anything else that is recommended besides changing the oil and oil filter?

Corrected.

#2 ·
That is all that is called for. Depending on your driving amount, you should also change differentials and transfer case fluids. Very easy. Do by 50k miles if possible.

Trans fluid should be changed, but looks like I can't get to mine soon. May be close to 100k miles by then!

#5 ·
The only other "fluid" changed by the dealer will be the brake fluid on a calendar basis of every two years. This will be done "free" while you are in the OEM program. The coolant, power steering fluid, etc. is all "lifetime" and if you want to change it you will pay for it. I had my coolant changed at the Inspection II mark for $450 (US) because they were running a "special".:angel:

#6 ·
Hmmm, I was just quoted about $330 for the coolant and around $360 for the transmission for my wife's 530xi. I would think they would be similar in price. Was yours including some other work?

I plan to see how much the ATF, gasket, filter, bolts etc are and decide if the difference (which would be their labor cost) would be and decide which way to go.

#7 ·
FYI I got the oil, transfer case, front diff, and rear diff fluids changed at an indy shop for $383. They recommend not doing coolant until something in the system needs repairing (expansion tank, radiator, etc.) since the coolant is "lifetime" and will be changed then anyway.

They also wouldn't do transmission. They see very few problems with BMW trannys and don't stock the fluid that has to be bought in bulk. I still think I want the transmission fluid changed anyway. I'm scared of automatics going out.

#8 ·
They recommend not doing coolant until something in the system needs repairing (expansion tank, radiator, etc.) since the coolant is "lifetime" and will be changed then anyway.
The Warranty & Service Guide 2004 for mine says, on the Inspection I page:

Important:
Renew coolant every 'X' years from production date, in conjunction with Inspection.

Where X= 4 for 3 series/X3, Z4, X5 and X=3 for M3 and Z8

This got dropped for later models, maybe for 2006-on.

The extended life coolant might possibly have been improved over the last few years,
but it's going to lose some effectiveness after a period of time.
Not necessarily in freeze protection, but in anti-corrosion properties.

The fact that BMW specifies "from production date" rather than in-service date is telling.
Just like with brake fluid, it's time rather than miles that is important.

Maybe your indy shop has a point, but I'm not so sure.
You don't have to replace all the coolant when replacing the expansion tank or radiator, so why not do it at a fixed time regardless?
It could be 10 years before you need a new tank or radiator or thermostat, etc. (if you are lucky).

#9 ·
mad, I suspect prices are higher here than where you are.:cry: Just a guess but I am sure that CA tacks on a charge to "dispose" of the old coolant! This was at a dealer's shop too, so an indy should be cheaper, but it wasn't worth it to me to do two seperate visits.:thumbup:

#10 ·
I'll have to pull out the manual again. When I looked at it last week I missed the part about coolant change.

Is there a way to do a simple drain and refill? On one of my other cars there was a drain valve at the bottom of the radiator. Open it up and most of the coolant would drain and then just refill. Not as good as a total flush, but it's easy and most of the coolant gets replaced.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.