BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Transmission mounting problem

2K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  _Ethrty-Andy_ 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I recently replaced the guibo and center support bearing on my girlfriend's e30 ('89 convertible, 5 speed). After putting it back together, the transmission sits high on one side, and it makes a scraping sound when it's in any of the 2nd and 4th gear (the rear gears).

I had a jack under the transmission for part of the job to stabilize it. I also raised the engine several inches (by the oil pan) to lift the engine, so I could put the motor mount back on the passenger side (had to remove temporarily it to get some working room to get the exhaust off).

See pic below.

What is making the transmission sit high, and what can I do to fix it?

See less See more
#13 · (Edited)
Found the noise coming from gears 2 and 4. There's a circular piece of metal (stabilizing part?) that goes around the driveshaft, it's part of it, you can see it (the circular part in the upper right corner) in the picture. It rubs against the 'arm' that runs between the bottom of the shifter and the transmission.

I think the driveshaft is holding the transmission higher than it normally should be?

Is there a specific way to lower the driveshaft. I don't want to drop the exhaust again...

#14 ·
it does automatically shorten unless you bent/was given the wrong CSB when doing the first project. i would really turn your focus at the engine and tranny mounts before you start messing with the driveshaft again

#15 ·
Get brave and admit it went wrong in the re assembly stage. take it to bits and put it back together properly - maybe using a manual this time. No easy way out of this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.