BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Noob Maintenance - Oils !!

4K views 30 replies 11 participants last post by  x3brian 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok guys so I love the new ride (06' X3 AT), however I am going to start off strong and get all recommended maintenance done now (with 65k miles currently on) whether it has been done or NOT. The following will be done and I wanted to see if any of you experienced x3 owners can give me some insight on what oil to get and where to get it from for the following:

1) Transmission Oil Flush and replace(I want to use BMW OEM here) where can I find it online or at a reputable place that wont cost me an arm and leg?
2) Front/Rear Differential Oil flush and replace. (I would like to use BMW OEM here again, unless anyone has any other suggestions)
3) Transfer Case Oil Flush and replace. (Online or dealer?)
4) Regular Engine Oil (Do you prefer Mobil1 Full Synthetic or BMW oil?
5) Oil Filter (Is OEM best or is there a better after market and where can I get it?)

Thank you all for your help, I cannot express how much I truly appreciate it!! Also, while I have you here- is there anyway to get MPG on the odometer?

#2 ·
1): BMW Dexron VI--www.getbmwparts.com sells it but my local dealer is cheaper after BMW CCA discount. ECS Tuning also sells some Dex VI fluid.
2): I ran Redline 75W-90 in my diffs. Readily available
3): Only put the BMW fluid in the transfer case--there are online retailers that sell it. You need 1 bottle, approximately $50.
4): BMW lists approved oils on their website. I run BMW 5W-30 and Mobil 1 0W-40. German Castrol (I think it's 0W-30) is also OK
5): I run OEM, or Mahle.

Your owner's manual should tell you how to work your features and controls.

#3 · (Edited)
NYG, before you spend all that money on new fluids why not take the VIN to a BMW service center (dealer) and have it read to see what actually has been done to the car before. Since it has 50K miles "free" maintentance everything done will show up to that point, as will any repairs done by BMW. At 65K it may have had the Inspection II (60K mile service). You may need all those fluids, including new coolant -- but why not check first just in case the previous owner did some of this for you. Also remember the brake fluid needs to be changed every two years, regardless of mileage. Good luck and enjoy your ride!:thumbup:

#4 ·
+1 on what both said above. PSU is right on with the fluids, just double check your tranny tag before you buy Dexron (readily available anywhere). I know the old 5 sp auto was also a GM tranny but not 100% sure if it was dexron VI or IV.

Unclej's recommendation is very sound. No harm no foul in that regard.

I would throw in cooling system flush and refill with blue BMW coolant and thoroughly inspect expansion tank...your hitting 6 years of age. I also would check every belt and hose and replace where necessary.

#8 ·
If you have a 2006 X3 you have a ZF transmission and if you use Dex of any kind you will ruin it.
Check the data plate on the transmission but 2006 X3's used a ZF transmission which takes Lifeguard 5/ Pentosin ATF1 or Esso LT71141. Unless you get it flushed which at 65K I don't recommend I would drop the pan and replace the filter and refill the pan. It will take 5 1/2L so you need 6L of the above ATF. I think the rest of fluids recommended are all good choices and it is an excellent idea to replace them.
Regarding who can do the work contact the local chapter of BMWCCA and ask them for recommendations as they know the best indy mechanics out there.
Transfer case only BMW makes a suitable fluild
ATF we discussed
Diff front and rear all good choices
Engine any good quality synthetic works fine, BMW synthetic is about as cheap as any and is Castrol 5W-30 anyway.

Be sure to verify the transmission and the make sure the indy knows how to check the level when full.
Enjoy the X
Also the brakes are fairly easy to replace as well when the time comes...

#15 ·
Never heard of the E83 ('04-'06) having the ZF automatic transmission. The 6 speed manual box may be a ZF. The ZF auto boxes used were in the X5's built here (remember the X3's were built in Austria). The GM5 was/is a very reliable and sturdy box used in literally hundreds of thousands of cars across the spectrum.:thumbup:

#17 ·
Mobil 1 0W40 is on BMW's approved oil list. Mobil 1 5W30 is not.

Mobil 1 naming can get confusing.

The labeled viscosity on synthetic oils is not a main factor in the same way as conventional oils.
High temperature/High shear (HTHS) viscosity has to be met for BMW's specs. along with a Long Life measure.

Castrol naming is also confusing.
The Castrol Syntec 5W30 commonly available is a quite different oil than the 5W30 that dealers have.
Castrol 0W30 (commonly referred to as German Castrol) is closer, and it is a full Class IV synthetic, unlike the 5W30, but is not on the approved list.

#25 · (Edited)
In a few weeks, I plan to change the oil myself for the first time since free maintenance has ended. What oil is the "best"? I am willing to split hairs and choose the "best". I'd like to select an oil and not change the brand for as long as I have the car, which might be 10 more years. Of course, oil formulations can change even if the name doesn't but I'll ignore that for now.

Here's my assessment:
1. Much weight is given to BMW's recommendation http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Owner/SyntheticEngineOils.aspx
2. I prefer not to use BMW oil as I suspect it is not that good and is a semi-synthetic. It is said that some Subarus should use conventional oil. I presume that BMWs are not better off with a semi-synthetic. This assumption may be wrong.
3. I prefer an oil with a reliable source. Valvoline Synpower 5W-30 MST is not easy to find.

The preliminary list then becomes:
1. Mobil 1 0W-40. Least expensive of the oils in this list. Easily found in multiple stores. Often the same price as Castrol Edge 0W-30 European Formula but the lowest sale price that I've seen is a little lower than the lowest sale price that I've seen for Castrol.

2. Castrol Edge 0W-30 European Formula. The -30 weight part may mean that's acts as a thinner oil when the engine is not quite warm, say 70 degrees C. A 0W-40 weight oil at 70 degrees may be thicker.

On the other hand, Castrol Edge 0W-30 seems to be available only at Autozone. If they should drop it then that means changing oil brands again, which I prefer not to do but will.

3. Total Quartz INEO MC3 5W-30. Always more expensive than Castrol or Mobil. I'm not so sure about this BMW Longlife 04 standard. Hard, but not impossible to find.

#26 · (Edited)
1) just buy the BMW oil

2) the BMW oil is fully synthetic ...I haven't read otherwise. It's euro spec grade.

3) you've lived with it for what I already presume is 50k miles and 4 years and 15k mili oil change intervals with no ill harm...why split hairs now?

I've used it for 109k miles every 7500 miles since new and it works as advertised.

It's cheap, readily available and ll01 approved (ll04 is only for Diesel engines). Fits my criteria...

However if I was going to switch...I would use lubromoly 5w30....

#28 ·
1) just buy the BMW oil

2) the BMW oil is fully synthetic ...I haven't read otherwise. It's euro spec grade.

I read that BMW oil in the U.S. is a variation of Castrol TXT Softec 5W-30, a synthetic blend?, and that BMW has that oil in Germany as well as a BMW version of the fully synthetic and more expensive Castrol Professional SLX.

Now I am planning to go to an Autozone, see if they have Castrol Edge 0W-30 European Formula. If so, I'll buy a 3 year supply and use it. If they don't have it, I'll use Mobil 1 0W-40. I don't think for even a moment that BMW oil is bad, though.

#30 ·
According to the label on the BMW 5w-30 engine oil, it is "fully synthetic." I'll defer to the BMW-specified oil, especially because I still have 40k miles of included oil changes in my '08. As for the other gear oils, the brand can actually make a pretty marked difference in the driving characteristics of the vehicle. I may be splitting hairs, but for the few extra dollars on a 50k mile service item like differential fluid or transfer case fluid, I'll just purchase the specific fluids called from BMW. I'm not entirely convinced that alternate brands of oils are any better than the factory stuff, but know that they can definitely be far worse. Just my $0.02.

#31 ·
For the transfer case you have no alternative to the BMW fluid...but for the differentials it doesn't matter.

I saw a marked improvement in offline response switching to redline 75w90 fluid from the BMW labeled castrol 75w90. Could be in my head but after 110k miles in my 09 I am pretty tuned into how it feels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.