BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Rebuilding HPFP

235K views 938 replies 86 participants last post by  BA760 
#1 ·
My HPFP in Bank 1 needs to be replaced, I ordered the part and bmwoem1 is going to be replacing it.

The car never stalled, only thing I notice is a long crank in the morning, other than that the car runs fine.

I was thinking to sell the faulty HPFP on eBay (of course disclosing that it floods the fuel tank vent valves), but then thought if there is someone that rebuilds these, I would rather have it rebuilt and replace the HPFP in Bank 2 with the rebuilt one. Any thoughts? Thanks

#247 · (Edited)
I vote for all of us filing a class action suit against Bosche for Restraint of Trade (or something similar). They are refusing to sell us a part to repair one of their products we already own so they can sell us more new parts at exorbitant prices. That's classic restraint of trade. Does anybody remember business law? Or know a good lawyer who works on contingency? LOL :rofl:

#248 ·
I have just gone through this issue - with the long crank, an occasional dip in idle speed and finally, a stall at a red light. I ordered a replacement pump after doing the tests referred to on this forum, and after clearing the residual fuel out of the vacuum networks - my beast is back!
I too am hoping for a fix to apply to my old pump, ready for installation into the other pumps position should it/when it fails. now i'm over this problem i can work on disassembly of my old pump in the hunt for a fix.

#250 ·
JGB congrats for fixing your one pump. The fix you are hunting for is: replace the diaphragm. No one else has proven any other failure associated with the problem. The question we are discussing is: where do you get the diaphragm? Bosch will not sell you one. Some guys here have used alternative materials, and made their own. The issue is; how thick are the replacement diaphragms, and will they seal?

I plan to use two used diaphragms from Bosch diesel pumps. Just have not taken the time to put them in. My 2004 replacement motor on my car is exhibiting this issue at about 85k miles. My original 2003 motor did it at 135k miles.

I think age has to do with them dying, as well as miles.

#252 ·
Is anyone else having trouble making the penta-head screw removal tool? I've failed twice. :mad:

Would somebody like to "rent" their homemade one, or even sell one? :bigpimp:

If not, maybe provide some additional detail on how exactly you went about making the tool? :D

I was using a thick bolt and a bench grinder, but I had trouble keeping a perfect pentagon shape on it as I ground it down. I could get it to where it looked good to my eye but still wouldn't work on the bolt. :dunno:

#253 ·
Raymound - the two plastic pipes that lead from the vacuum actuators to each manifold still had fuel in them for me, as i'm not sure when these operate, i dont think you can run the engine and expect it to clear out, best to remove them with the actuators and clear them out.

mws - my car is a 07/03 with 146000kms and just had a pump fail, a friend of mine has a 08/03 with 260,000kms, but is trouble free (i warned him) so yeah, i think its an age problem.

I have taken the pent safety screws out of my pump, i just used a bit of steel rod, had a guess grinding it down, made it into an L shape, and it worked first time. My diaphragm that i could see is perished around its edges, but i have not yet been able to get the upper ring out to expose the whole thing. Is there a trick or tool i'll need?

#257 ·
I just bought the Magnafuel Fuel Pressure Regulator Rebuild Components MP-9400-03 from summit racing. I'm not even sure if it is the right size but its coming :thumbup:

#258 ·
2004 BMW 760Li E66 13 51 7 529 068, High Pressure Fuel Pump

2004 BMW 760Li E66 Need 13 51 7 529 068 High Pressure Fuel Pump. I search that Audi AWA 2.0L FSI high pressure fuel pump 06D 127 026H Bosch 0 261 520 022 Audi pump Will fit but nothing available in USA only in Europe or used BMW on E-Bay. I need only the diaphragm any sources and part number available ? Thanks.

#272 ·
2004 BMW 760Li E66 Need 13 51 7 529 068 High Pressure Fuel Pump. I search that Audi AWA 2.0L FSI high pressure fuel pump 06D 127 026H Bosch 0 261 520 022 Audi pump Will fit but nothing available in USA only in Europe or used BMW on E-Bay. I need only the diaphragm any sources and part number available ? Thanks.
in this thread, we have tried to cover the fact Bosch won't even tell some of their most trusted, high volume HPFP rebuilders what the diaphragm part number is. But you may have missed that point, this thread is becoming huge.

So, we only have a cross-reference list of what pumps the diaphragm appears in. If you have better luck with Bosch, let us know, please.

#259 · (Edited)
USDrake - Please let us know how it works out, with PICTURES PLEASE!

Abenor - You need to go back and read the entire thread. You have some catching up to do.

In regards to the pumps that have the same diaphragm as our cars, there is a list posted twice in the thread.

HOWEVER, I am not convinced that the posted list covers every Bosch HPFP model that has the same diaphragm (not that it claims to). Here are some additional possibilities, albeit untested (by me):
1. Alfa Romeo 3.2cc V6 JTS High Pressure Bosch Fuel Pump 0 261 520 035 - Link to Ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfa-Rome...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f399107f8
2. Ford Mondeo MK3 03-07 1.8 SCI petrol fuel pump 2s7g-9350-al / 0261 520 028 - Only $24 pounds on Ebay (plus shipping of course) - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Mond...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43d287b22f
3. AUDI A4 B6 2.0 FSI AWA HIGH PRESSURE PUMP 0261 520 030 / 026152003 - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191305612326?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
4. 06-09 VW VOLKSWAGEN PASSAT B6 3.6 03H127025 / 03H 127 025 - $145 with free shipping - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161474720593?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Of particular interest are pumps like #4 above that end in a -025 p/n as opposed to a -026* p/n. These -025 pumps are more commonly available than the -026* and cost significantly less to purchase used.

Rather than go on a buying spree, can anyone give any feedback regarding the suitability of any of these Bosch HPFP for donors?

#261 · (Edited)
guys i just recently replace ny hpfp for the purpose of troubleshooting only to find out its not the source. now i would like to sell my used pump for 2500usd (2pcs). diaghram are still intact.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
These may be a great deal for somebody, but fyi you can buy the same correct pump used on Ebay, with a warranty, for about $1100 each pump, or $2200 total.

Maybe you would just sell the diaphragms? :D

Either way, GLWS!

This post has been deleted
#262 · (Edited)
I will soon be offering rebuild high pressure fuel pumps for sale @ $1400.00 each plus shipping plus $500.00 core deposit, the pumps will have a 12 month/12k miles warranty, basically ALL the pump internal parts are original new parts, the only used part is the pump housing it self which nothing goes wrong with it.

Please PM me if you have any questions.
John
One BIG question - where are you sourcing the diaphragm???

Its been the experience of everyone in this thread that the only thing that fails on the pump is the diaphragm. There is no need to "rebuild" the pump when only one part has failed. Would you rebuild your motor due to a failed gasket? This is about the same thing.

So either offer to sell us the diaphragms directly, or admit you are sourcing used diaphragms and calling it "rebuilt" and hoping it lasts 12 months. Or perhaps you've created your own diaphragm - But its got to be one of the three!

Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, has gotten Bosch to sell the diaphragms - so I have my doubts about you. But BY ALL MEANS prove me wrong with photos and an invoice from Bosch!

We've had a few "claiming" to have a solution - none have actually worked out.

You won't get ANY business here by being secretive (Ask Nandro about that one) - so tell us what you are doing and show us some pictures. Otherwise go troll someone else's thread.

If you read the entire thread you will understand everything I am saying here.

#263 · (Edited)
Slight issue here is I am in the UK so it`s not practical to send pumps to the USA or Czech as Nandro has discovered . Nandro may be totally legit although his secrecy arouses suspicion . He is now shipping rebuild kits and I am sure you will have to do the same if you want any volume of business , just don`t get greedy on price . You will find new pumps for less money than you are asking for a rebuild so good luck with that .

#267 ·
Waiting very very anxiously for this part. Just finished putting on new solenoid's on the mechatronics. Just need this diaphragm because my others pump just went out :mad: if no one beats me to the pics I will post some :thumbup:

#269 ·
Your gonna get it before me. I just got word I put the wrong zip code in by billing info :mad:
I just want some pic of the install !

#276 ·
I got my diaphram in the mail today just waiting to get off so I can compared it against the OEM part. I hope it fixs with minimal cutting !

#277 · (Edited)
I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Just found out an hour ago I may have a HPFP going out on my car... Out of curiosity' how do you intend to cut it? For what the price of new pump is I wonder if having a circular die cutter made to the exact diameter would be the way to go. If the thickness is different then the OEM , also I think it would be advantageous to have the new retaining rings made too. Sounds like these are the only two issues to address if everything else adds up.

#278 · (Edited)
Just got home and opened the package. The raised ring is too big around. I haven't compared it to the one in my pump but it looks like the raised ring would be right under the metal retaining ring. It might still work if the ring can compress it without it leaking. I had a long day at work and I am going to continue with more tomorrow.

#280 ·
Some More Diaphragm Details

Opened up my spare pump with my fabricated pentagon bolt. The diaphragms are 1 5/16" OD.
Looked at the diaphragms under a 30x jeweler's loupe and the diaphragms definitely have a tight weave fabric base for strength; some of the gelled material had sloughed off revealing the fabric base. Given how tight the weave is, I think whatever green coating is gelled with the fabric is there for chemical compatibility versus providing any additional strength.

As for a replacement, I'm looking into the best Viton blended with a fabric base material when mine go out. Again, I think the key factor in the replacement is the tight-weaved fabric base.

#282 ·
Opened up my spare pump with my fabricated pentagon bolt. The diaphragms are 1 5/16" OD.
Looked at the diaphragms under a 30x jeweler's loupe and the diaphragms definitely have a tight weave fabric base for strength; some of the gelled material had sloughed off revealing the fabric base. Given how tight the weave is, I think whatever green coating is gelled with the fabric is there for chemical compatibility versus providing any additional strength.

As for a replacement, I'm looking into the best Viton blended with a fabric base material when mine go out. Again, I think the key factor in the replacement is the tight-weaved fabric base.
The diaphragm I ordered from summit racing has a very tight fabric weav in it its hard to see but on the edges of the diaphragm you can see a ton of small tight threads bunched toghether. I think we are getting closer. I wonder if this manufactor makes smaller diaphragms.

#285 ·
Its gunna fit !!!

I am working on this project right now. The inside circle is the exact size of our diaphram. Here are some pics will post more soon.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.