BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

I am "that" guy... buying advice

831 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Point401 
#1 ·
Hi all, I can't believe I have come to this, but I need some help...

I have found a 2001 330 ci convertable. 60k miles, 5mt, sport package, sport seats, control arms just redone, transmission is smooth, driven as a "summer car" by a women in her mid 40's who knows next to nothing about cars. Body is mint, but the interior leater is all beat up compliments of a car seat and poor care. She was asking $12k for it, but I just can't see myself paying that much for a third car with a beat up interior. I think resale would go to sh**. I offered her 10,750 yesterday and she said that she "has 4 other people coming to look at the car and wants to stay firm on the price". She may be BS-ing me so that I up my bid, but I am afraid I may lose out on the car if someone comes in at $11k. I need your thoughts. Should I call her and say that I will do $11k, or should I wait it out and see if 10750 holds? What would you all do? I am pretty sure the response I will get is "do want you want, it is your car and your money"... but I kinda just needed to vent. All opinions welcome.

#2 ·
I personally would hold at $10,750 for awhile. If you haven't heard from her i might call back and offer the $11k. In the grand scheme of things $250 isn't a lot of money. However, it could buy a really ncie detail to bring the car (primarily it's interior) back to life.

Really all depends on on how much you want the car and how much you value that $250. With regard to the 'other' buyers people looking at convertibles NOW in the northeast are usually pretty fickle, nice weather come and people all of a sudden think about driving around with the top down. Good luck with the decision.

#3 ·
Remember to get a pre-purchase inspection to check the common faults in the e46's such as the cooling system, suspension and other small things. It will be worth it.

Also, make sure your Bill of Sale states everything in it so you are backed up as well incase anything happens.

Finally, showing a nice big stack of 100's always works :)

#4 ·
Thanks for the input. I am paying cash and she knows that I won't be worrying about financing, etc (so I have that going for me). I will get the inspection for sure. She told me that if the car does not sell, she will call and meet me at my mechanics shop. He will do the inspection, once it is deemed clear of any major issues, I will give her the cash (as long as we agree on a price).
It is not the $250, it is the point...it is more that in my head I started with 10k limit for a "summer car". I have stretched that to 10750 because I like the car and know that the options are rare (and a detail won;t fix the leather, unless you know a trick that I dont...). I really didn't want to go to 11, but that may be more psychological than financial. To be honest, if she calls me now and asks me to go to 11, I would probably do it... I will let you know how it turns out as I should have an answer either way by Friday.

#5 ·
Since the car is at 60k, I doubt inspection II was done and the majority of us E46 owners strongly recommend overhauling your cooling system (excluding the radiator) The parts overall should be maybe $300 max and you can easily DIY with simple tools.

#6 · (Edited)
I mentioned that to her but quoted $800 as that would be the dealer price (and I thought it would go farther towards me getting the price I wanted). Ironically, she is looking at an E39 5 series (my old car) as a replacement so I gave her my knowledge on that. We seemed to have good repore but she said "I just want to make sure that I get as much as I can for the car"... which I certainly understand.

#8 ·
nope..:cry:

She called this morning and let me know that someone came and bought the car for the full asking price. Honestly, that upsets me much less than if she had called and said someone bought it for $11k. There was no way I would have paid $12k for that car. I still feel like I missed out, but the search will continue. Thanks for the input guys, I will report back if I find another.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.