BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2006 530i Blown Engine

10K views 40 replies 17 participants last post by  Rahulk 
#1 ·
Hey Everyone,

Haven't posted on the forum in a very long time, kind of a quiet one on here.

So just last week my 06 530 gave me the low oil pressure message and then died. Car has 128K on the clock and always took care of the car, had the oil changed every 3K. The starter motor turns but the engine won't start. Took the engine apart and it is black.

Mechanic reccomends new engine. Has anyone experienced this? Any ideas or suggestions?? Does it really need to be replaced? I've looked at some N52 engines, and they're scarce and not cheap. Can I get away with putting an N52 engine from a 328/528? Engine rebuild possible?

I definitely want to upgrade to a 535 or 550 after all this. But I want to get the car running so I can get those most for it on trade or when I go to sell it. Thanks everyone!

#35 ·
You can replace the head with one from a 330, I wouldn't go for one from a 325/328/525/528 - for 2 reasons: 1) they all have different intake manifolds than the engine you have, and 2) the 325 and 525 are based on the M54 engine, you have an N52 engine - completely different engines they are not the same heads. Make sure if you go for just replacing the heads that the shop checks the cylinders for scoring, otherwise you will be rebuilding it again soon if it has scoring in the cylinders.

#36 ·
If I were you I would ask bmwoem1 or white94RX for their opinion on new heads vs new engine. They my have a BMW Tech opinion after seeing that scorched head. I would agree with pjinca and get the 330/530 (N52) if you are looking to replace engine or heads. You can get TIS (Service) and ETK (Parts) online from Ebay. Guy in Canada has the latest release and works on my Win7 64bit too. ETK will have all the part numbers and you can compare between the 530 and 330. If you aren't doing this job yourself, the labor may be the deciding factor. After watching Schpenxel, replacing the whole engine may be the quickest and least labor intensive job.

#37 · (Edited)
Have to comment that with all that baked on crud, I'd be suspicious of everything that touches whatever oil was in this thing, including the crank bearings and cylinder walls, as well as whatever the current condition of the rings.

Skeptical that a head will be enough and will be good money after bad. I'd buy a new (used) engine, but I'll defer to the experts on this thing.

What a gawdawful mess.

#38 ·
Alright everyone, I've decided on replacing the engine. I want to keep my car for a little bit until I get some extra cash for a 550, I won't to get the most for my car when I trade it in. Hopefully engine replaced won't show on the Carfax, although that may not be a bad thing.

I got an 07 MY engine core with 80K for $2350 and its in great shape. It's an engine swap so I will be putting all the recently replaced parts on the new engine and replacing any old parts. The project has already begun and I will post pics in a new thread.

#39 ·
The only way that it will show on carfax is if 1.) You somehow manage to get your insurance to pay for it or 2.) If the shop you take it to for the work reports their work to carfax (dealerships mostly) and that's highly unlikely. Just keep your receipts if you want to show future buyers that you've replaced the motor.

#40 ·
The rust on cam lobes like in that engine will happen in one heavy dew Florida night when the oil in the engine was fouled severely. Crap oil doesn't adhere to nor protect the metal/
You made the right choice. The sludge from inadequate oil changes and likely not using synthetic oil is going to be in the oil pan. The oil pickup tube is likely partly plugged and lower end bearing damage has almost assuredly happened already. A cylinder head would have been money thrown away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.