BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

New '98 M Roadster owner checking in

Z3 Roadster (E36/7) 
2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  TheUSC_2001 
#1 ·
Just bought a 1998 M Roadster CK93 (S52/E36/7). 147k miles, good shape though. Cosmos Black, new Imola red top; red/black leather interior which I was told is pretty rare. I put 150 miles on it last night, finally didn't kill it in first! Clutch is right there. What a blast! Scares me what the Euro version would be like, with 75+ more horses! Anybody drop the S50 into a Yankee body?
I've had several older Benzes in the last 45 years, and a now 99 BMW K1200LT bike, but this thing is more like the cycle than the Benzes! Don't blink, you'll miss 85mph go by.
Saw some scary posts on other site @ welds breaking in the rear of Z3s, causing diff to fall and fail! Anybody know how widespread this is? I had mine checked yesterday, it's OK.
Also, some problems/questions: New ragtop doesn't fold down or up with electric power, works fine by hand. The PO told me there is a flaky wire maybe in the interlock in the windshield catch, causing intermittent working. Further research shows the lifting motor running fine when I step on brake and push switch, but top not moving. Was wondering about hydraulic fluid. Anybody got a suggestion?
PO put a new clutch and lightweight flywheel in six months ago. I have rattles under the body in Neutral, clutch out. Sounds like exhaust system maybe.
Don't see ASC+T light or switch? Was this standard/option?
Driver's elec window has a clunk about a third of the way up. Common? I'll probably just have my shop pull the door panel and check. Both windows seem a bit slow to move and stiff like they're binding a little.
Oh, and more important with winter coming: the heater/AC temp control doesn't change anything. Just gave a solid clunk when I turned it first time, and now doesn't make any difference, like it's just rotating without anything connected behind. Anyone have experience with getting inside the dash!!??...Never had fun with that on a Eurowagen! $$$$!
In spite of those little annoyances, the car drives like a thrill ride on rails! Mein Gott! Pass auf, Welt!!
Hoping someone in the Hilton Head Island/Savannah general area will get in touch. Or maybe from the SC mountains...?
Best, Dutch

See less See more
#2 ·
Congratulations! Sounds like a great color combination, and I can't recall ever seeing one__and I've seen A LOT OF THEM (between eight years of attending Homecomings at the factory and the continual parade of them through my garage). PLease post up some pictures with the top up/down and showing off that interior.

Every single one of the issues you mention has been covered in this, or "the other forum" so with a little searching, you'll find answers and solutions.

As for getting the other 75 hp back, it is waaayyy more cost effective to bolt on a Vortech supercharger. This modification can be reversed at will, and you would not have rendered the car unsaleable (I for one sure wouldn't buy a car that somebody hacked in a non-original engine__way too many little details to get wrong).

Enjoy, and you should try to maintain a presence on these forums, as you'll get a lot more pleasure out of your ownership experience from the knowledge base here.

#8 ·
Just purchased mine in October, 99 Z3 M Roadster, and I just love it! Have a few friends that run them at road Atlanta, if you are ever down here hit me up and we will go cruising!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.