BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

quarter glass removal?

12K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  bluebee 
#1 ·
does any one have any advice how to remove the e39 rear quarter glass.

#2 ·
The best advice is to use a sharp blade, preferrably one meant for glasswork.

Whenever I've done this, I've had the main window removed as well. You may be able to do this with the window in, but I don't remember well enough to say for sure. In any event, the door panel, exterior window moldings, and interior molding and plastic window frame must be removed. Insert your blade against the fixed window (rather than against the metal door frame) and cut into the glue bead along its perimeter. The specified depth for the blade to go in is 16mm. This will be a very tedious process if the glue is very dry and hardened, which is why a sharp blade is your best tool. There will be a thick bead of glue left adhered to the door frame, since you were cutting against the glass. As a separate step, you need to cut off this excess glue, leaving 0.5mm left per BMW. If you try going deeper you risk scratching the paint.

When reinstalling the glass, a new plastic frame is required, which is a cheap part that is snapped onto the window before it's affixed. I've always used BMW's glass adhesive kit that has the recommended prep agent and adhesive, and always had good results. It includes various plastic tips to use on the glue cartridge, which you must cut to size. For applying the glue it's best if I send you BMW's instructions from TIS since it's difficult to explain. It will show you the cutting depth and what shape the glue bead should be. The glue is applied directly to the glass, not the body. The only thing I do differently is first test fit the glass to the door (with plastic frame snapped on). Then I use a pencil to mark the outer limit of where I want the glue to go. I then apply masking tape around the window. After applying the glue and inserting the glass, I pull off the tape to have a nice, clean factory-looking edge to the glue.

#3 ·
The best advice is to use a sharp blade, preferrably one meant for glasswork.

Whenever I've done this, I've had the main window removed as well. You may be able to do this with the window in, but I don't remember well enough to say for sure. In any event, the door panel, exterior window moldings, and interior molding and plastic window frame must be removed. Insert your blade against the fixed window (rather than against the metal door frame) and cut into the glue bead along its perimeter. The specified depth for the blade to go in is 16mm. This will be a very tedious process if the glue is very dry and hardened, which is why a sharp blade is your best tool. There will be a thick bead of glue left adhered to the door frame, since you were cutting against the glass. As a separate step, you need to cut off this excess glue, leaving 0.5mm left per BMW. If you try going deeper you risk scratching the paint.

When reinstalling the glass, a new plastic frame is required, which is a cheap part that is snapped onto the window before it's affixed. I've always used BMW's glass adhesive kit that has the recommended prep agent and adhesive, and always had good results. It includes various plastic tips to use on the glue cartridge, which you must cut to size. For applying the glue it's best if I send you BMW's instructions from TIS since it's difficult to explain. It will show you the cutting depth and what shape the glue bead should be. The glue is applied directly to the glass, not the body. The only thing I do differently is first test fit the glass to the door (with plastic frame snapped on). Then I use a pencil to mark the outer limit of where I want the glue to go. I then apply masking tape around the window. After applying the glue and inserting the glass, I pull off the tape to have a nice, clean factory-looking edge to the glue.
Yikes. The glass guy that did mine didnt do anything close to that! :eek:

#5 ·
thanks !

I got my old door shell laying around my garage, only thing left in there is the quarter window, once i can remove that i can throw out the door lol. i want to keep the quarter glass just in case someone blows my window out. happend to my friend so it would be cool to have a spare =)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.