BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Coupe or Convertible?

1K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  bzap 
#1 ·
Which is the more sought after M3? The couple or convertible?
Ken

#3 ·
There are some who think that the M3 convertible should never have been made at all... and would never even consider getting one. That being said, the convertible version of almost any car has a higher resale value than the hardtop version. The same holds true for the E46 M3... if you have two identical (options, mileage, year, colors, condition) cars, one a cabrio and one a coupe, the cabrio will always be worth more in resale value.

Is that what you were asking?

--J.

#4 ·
JonathanIT said:
There are some who think that the M3 convertible should never have been made at all... and would never even consider getting one. That being said, the convertible version of almost any car has a higher resale value than the hardtop version. The same holds true for the E46 M3... if you have two identical (options, mileage, year, colors, condition) cars, one a cabrio and one a coupe, the cabrio will always be worth more in resale value.

Is that what you were asking?

--J.
the vert costs more so hence the higher resale but those coupes sell like hot cakes. When I was shopping for a vert I would see some sit on the lots for months and months.

#5 ·
There is a big difference between an E46 coupe and vert regardless if it is an M.

The E46 vert has a lot of body flexing, the rear view mirror vibrates quite a bit and the car is much heavier and very very noisy.

If you want to just run around town in a nice car and be seen, get the vert. If you plan to track the car, or want to listen to the stereo, etc. get the coupe.

Both are great cars. However, there are many drawbacks to the vert.

#6 · (Edited)
I'd say depends on how you are going to use the M3, if you intend to go to track meets, drving schools you would need a coupe. Most even prefer no sunroofs for the helmets and lesser car weights.

I'm in the process of getting a Cabrio, for I never had one before, and I wanted to have fun cuising and be a little different this time. I figure if my spending this much of a used M3, might as well spend a little more for what I want.

Ive talked with cabrio owners and they said after having one, they couldnt stand having a car without one.

Hope it helps, for I will soon find out myself

#7 ·
Sorry... but I disagree:

The E46 convertible has very little body flex - it certainly isn't noticeable to me, and I've owned other M3 convertibles where it was very noticeable, and as a contrast - owned an original "M-Coupe" - which was about as rigid as a car could be.

My rear view mirror doesn't vibrate at all. When do you see vibration in yours?

The convertible is 300lbs heavier.. on a car weighing close to 4,000 lbs, that's less than 10%. Not enough to be really significant to me. You loose about 0.5 seconds 0-60, but you'll still leave 95% of the cars on the road looking at your taillights - and it's especially fun to do with the top down since you can listen to the exhaust while doing it.

Mine isn't noisy. With the top up the stereo is just fine (and **much** better than the one in my E39 5 series - which I see you also have.) Top down - there is some wind noise, but really pretty well controlled and not annoying up to 100mph (top speed I've had it to with the top down.)

They are both great cars - but I think you overstate the drawbacks to the convertible.

BTW - see you now have a 6 series.. why are there SO many used 6 series convertibles showing up (at least in NJ) in the secondary market ("Used Car" dealer lots..)? And cheap.. they aren't bringing what the same year M3 would bring.. and they for sure were more new. Any insight since you've obviously owned a number of BMWs?

To the original poster - if you're looking for assistance in deciding between a converible and a coupe - get a coupe. If you don't you'll always feel you're lacking something by having the convertible. IMHO - it takes a certain type of person to be really happy with a convertible - and the question wouldn't even have been asked.

#8 · (Edited)
deilenberger said:
BTW - see you now have a 6 series.. why are there SO many used 6 series convertibles showing up (at least in NJ) in the secondary market ("Used Car" dealer lots..)? And cheap.. they aren't bringing what the same year M3 would bring.. and they for sure were more new. Any insight since you've obviously owned a number of BMWs?
My guess a lot has to do with location/city. In Socal for example, they still fetch a hefty price on the used car market. Most of the 6 series are sold in the LA area. BMWs in general do very well in California. It is one of BMWs largest market if not the largest market in the US. I imagine on the east coast there are a lot of flood salvage vehicles so one would have to check things out carefully.

#9 ·
ken6217 said:
Ken
Both are great cars. :thumbup:

In general, coupe bodies are 2-1/2 times more stiff than their convertible counterparts. Also, verts are not allowed on a track. And of course the coupe will be quieter.

On the vert side, can't beat the drop top on a nice day.

Aside from that, either one is a great choice.

#10 ·
I assume you are talking about models available in the US and the e46...If that's the case, than it has to be the coupe w/ competition package (not available on the convertible). Limited numbers over two years, added performance-related features and an exclusive color.

That being said both are terrific and as you can see from the responses, if you ask different people, you will get different responses.

ken6217 said:
Ken

#11 ·
Chuck, I love the 6er and you must love taking that out on the PCH and letting her rip!

chuck92103 said:
My guess a lot has to do with location/city. In Socal for example, they still fetch a hefty price on the used car market. Most of the 6 series are sold in the LA area. BMWs in general do very well in California. It is one of BMWs largest market if not the largest market in the US. I imagine on the east coast there are a lot of flood salvage vehicles so one would have to check things out carefully.
As for the quote below, I do not see this trend at all. In fact I agree w/ Chuck- it really depends on the market- Miami, SoCal, Tejas will see high demand for verts. In fact in NJ, I see much better deals on e46m3 verts than similarly-equipped coupes...I think it certainly is more regionally-driven.

"BTW - see you now have a 6 series.. why are there SO many used 6 series convertibles showing up (at least in NJ) in the secondary market ("Used Car" dealer lots..)? And cheap.. they aren't bringing what the same year M3 would bring.. and they for sure were more new. Any insight since you've obviously owned a number of BMWs?"

#12 ·
chuck92103 said:
Dunno why there would be more flood/salvage cars in NJ - the flooding was in the gulf-coast areas, and Texas - last time I drove it was lots closer to CA than to NJ.

I just find it curious that some of the luxo-used-car dealers in my area (which is loaded with BMW/Mercedes) will have 2 or 3 6-series convertibles and never have an M3 of any type. And if I check prices on the 6'ers - they are the same or less than an M3 with simular miles/years. I have heard of a number of people who were really unhappy with their 6 convertibles - but dunno why (friend of a friend sort of thing..)

I can understand the lack of M3's - they're an enthusiasts car - but why are the convertible 6'ers showing up so often (and not many of the coupes..)?

#13 ·
Cabrios are only not allowed on the track for BMW CCA events. You can run on the track with Miata club events, and many others. But if you ae serious about track or even autocross, get a coupe. As for the extra wieght being les than 10%, look at the number of threads of people trying to shed even tens of pounds, and you start off with a 300 pound disadvantage. Sorry, if you want a performance car it makes little sense.

You do have to ask yourself, how often will I really put the top down? In some areas, it is a lot, in others it is very little. Around here, convertibles are only really nice a few months out of th eyear, a couple on the spring and one or so in the fall. The rest of the time it is too hot or too cold.

Every one should own on in their lifetime, but in reality, it should be a two seat car. :)

#14 ·
Thanks for the replies. I think I am going to go with a coupe. The one dealer I spoke with told me that they have trouble moving vert's. Another delaer near my house has the same two vert's in their lot since I started looking a few months ago.
Ken

#16 ·
I am not happy with the outside noise. I don't know if it would be any different for the M3 than the Roadster. I find that even in the vert roadster, if it is real hot, I don't take the top down. I do have a motorcycle so I still can get my fill of "outside" riding.
Ken

#17 ·
ken6217 said:
I am not happy with the outside noise. I don't know if it would be any different for the M3 than the Roadster. I find that even in the vert roadster, if it is real hot, I don't take the top down. I do have a motorcycle so I still can get my fill of "outside" riding.
Ken
I dont mind the hot hot weather and sun. I live in PHX,AZ and its 112 out everyday in the summer , I think I am the only guy out there with the top during the day (wimps) :D

I just hope my black leather holds up!

I have the top down prolly 90% of the time

#18 ·
The convertible is fantastic. No, you can't track it officially, but most M3 owners treat the freeway late at night as the track anyway. I have Imola Red/Jet Black and it is the hottest BMW combo so far I have owned. I get compliments from pratically everyone, even those who have no idea what car they are looking at. Top down all the time. The coupe is nice if you want to race it, but look at the number of coupes vs. the number of convertibles you see on a daily basis. BTW, one reason the verts are a harder sell is the major price increase from the coupe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.