BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2000 BMW 740iL - 77,000 miles - Advice for Buying

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  sealbeach740 
#1 ·
Can anyone give me some heads up on some common problems with a 2000 740iL with 77,000 miles on it?

Does this car have cooling system problems like the E36 and E39?

Allan

#2 ·
I M experience these cars only have major problems if worked on by 'experts'. Check for good service history, accident damage etc. Then check engine bay for ANY leaks of ANY fluid description ANY where. Get it on a hoist if possible.

Test every system for full function. Take it for a LONG road test without the radio on. Base your decisions on your findings. They are a complex vehicle but very satisfying to own and drive.

#4 ·
Depends on your knowledge, I guess.

#5 ·
Yes, the same cooling problems as an E39 (I'm not familiar with the E36).
Also, VCG, valley pan, window regulator, control arm, PCV, chain guide (most likely many more miles down the road than the 7 you're looking at), pixels, ignition switch......and much more I'm forgetting about at the moment.

But, the pluses outweigh the issues. If you're a DIY'er, you'll be fine. If you're experienced with an E39, you'll find the E38 very similar in many aspects.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.