BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Is this a good deal?

3K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  mrhapi 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Monday morning bump. Called the dealer and its only records are break in service and a few oil changes. No recalls performed. $100 for a pre purchase inspection from my local independent. Will also run the car fax. What should I be looking/feeling for in the test drive, specifically with the SMG transmission?

#4 ·
Very fair deal, very... I would do this for sure and the PPI is a must. Also do a little research yourself under the hood...
Looks for asymmetrical things such as the hood being off centered or lights being installed oddly to detect any accidents. Also listen for heavy ticking under the hood.

#5 ·
Had a very thorough PPI done today at Mr. M car (huge hour out to them by the way!)

The break in valve adjustment at 1200 miles was not done. They recommended new can bolts and a valve adjustment be performed. Also, he noted that there is a very very small oil leak on the front end, but they should e able to fix that with the valve adjustment. Brakes are like new and there is zero rust. There is some curb rash on one wheel (minor) and a scratch in the rear bumper. Other than that, it was immaculate. He had all of the original stickers still on it (airbag and such).

I didn't get to push it to the limit, but the mechanic said it was an outstandingly clean car. Definitely never driven in snow. Tires probably have about 5k miles left on them.

What are your thoughts?? His phone was ringing off the hook while we were there with buyers, but he is giving me preference since I called first and had to pay for the PPI. Thanks guys.

#7 ·
I came. I drove. I paid for a PPI. I walked away...

I can't justify purchasing this car, that's what it came down to. I really enjoyed it and had never driven an M3 before. The responsiveness was outstanding and the SMG transmission wasn't that bad. I could see how it would take a little getting used to. I wouldn't be tracking this car, so its performance would be limited to the NJ TurnPike (which sucks on the stretch I drive). I think I would be more worried about the car than I would actually enjoy it. For me, I think I need to look for something with a little bit less of the sporty/high strung feel. That's just me though.

As a weekend or track car, yes please! But I am not in that financial position right now. Maybe in a few years...

#9 ·
So I called the owner last night and explained my situation. Told him the car was outstanding, but probably not the best choice for me. I thanked him for taking the time to come to my mechanic and wished him the best of luck with the sale. This morning, this was in my inbox:

Travis. After. We spoke yesterday I would like to make a proposal. I really want this car to go to someone that would take care of it as I have. I would like to give you the car for a few days and drive it as you would if you owned it. If after a few days you are not interested. I will understand. I would also take 1,000 off the price and sell it to you for 25k . I was really impressd by you and your hard work to make it . I am also a small business owner and you make me feel as I did when I was younger.

Regardless of your decision. I hope you take me up on my offer to drive the car for a few days.

Bill

I decided to take him up on his offer. I will drive around in his car not for a few days, but I will take it for a few hours. I think the kicker for me was seeing this other M3 listed on CarGurus.com and it made me realize what a deal this could be. Similar miles, not so similar price... http://cargur.us/dkfN

#17 ·
Great story as it sounds a lot like what I went thru 4 years ago. Bought a 2006 m3 vert with only 9k and was very leary about the low milage but all worked out after going to his dealer and checking out his service history. Sold my 330ci and have never looked back . I love the m3 and the smg trans it hooks up real good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.