BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

750i transmission slips and slams

162K views 272 replies 128 participants last post by  JawDXXD 
#1 ·
Has anyone else experienced their 750i transmission slipping after lightly decelerating then applying the accelerator. Mine will slip momentarily and then violently slam back into gear. Twice I have started to pull over being certain I was just rear ended.

My dealer, South Bay BMW in Southern California, says there isn't a fix for this problem!

Does anyone else find this at all outrageous. I would love to know if anyone has a name or a contact at BMW North America with whom I can discuss this situation as my local dealer is worthless.

Frustrated with an Ultimate Driving Machine.

#36 ·
Has anyone had a successful solution to this problem. It seems to me if the 07 and 08s are still having these issues it's not going to help anyone by taking their car in just to have the problems return later on.

#37 ·
Hello every1 (i am new) i curently have a 528i 5spd, LOVE IT. It started giving me problems so im thinking of selling it and geting a 7 series. I have a delama between buying a 2006 model, or leasing a new one. my concern is thay if i buy it and something breaks, it will cost me and arm and a leg, can someone give me advise what i should do.
how does extended warranty work. thanks Kevin

#38 · (Edited)
BMW's come w/ 4yr/50k bumper to bumper warranties. I recently purchased my 06 750 Li w/26k miles. That w/ give me 24k left or till 2011-whichever comes first. Since my car was CPO'd it extended the cars warranty 2 addt'l yrs or 100k. Extended maintenance is not included but can be purchased.

#40 ·
Yes sir, you are correct.:thumbup:

#48 ·
So Guys,
Has any of you got this transmission issue fixed?Im new to the forum......wish I read about this b4 I bought my car.....Im starting to get disappointed with BMW....I have 5 Bimmers....the 545 gave me tranny problems also and as far as the BMW rep....trust me he will tell you that a BMW rep was gna get in touch with you but nobody will....my 545s front end axle fell apart after a BMW service and I reported this on the 5 forum and the same BMW rep sent a general email on the forum similar to what Vatkins got that he was a rep and someone would follow up.....bunch of bull...I have a 07 750 that I bought new and is gvn me the same tranny problems y'all are talking about:mad:

#49 ·
it'll be months before they replace the tranny. i actually got some "special" software update from PUMA which has temporarily fixed the clunk but it won't last long. others have had theirs replaced had success with remanufactured ones but that is usually a long exhausting process involving several visits to the dealer. if they don't offer to replace it the 1st time (whicc few lucky owners did get), just get rid of the car. if its got the clunk, the car is junk.:thumbdwn:

#51 ·
i agree. they should fix it and they probably will............but chances are the dealer (if they follow protocol) will slap several band aids on it before they go into surgery and operate. personally, my time (and absence of headaches), is much more important than any amount loss from depreciation.

#56 ·
Its in the bodyshop and i will post pix when I get it....so dizink you had the software fix right?How long has it been since you had it done and is the problem fixed even though its temp? To answer the other question ,yeah I am the first owner of the car,it was a BMW corporate car that was nerver titled and i bought it....should have known better right:eeps:

#60 ·
....so dizink you had the software fix right?How long has it been since you had it done and is the problem fixed even though its temp?
i got the update about 3-4 weeks ago and the car is driving great. that said, i've only put like 300 miles on it in the last month. i think i may have received a different software update than most others on the board but im not sure. the dealer had to get some code from PUMA to fix the problem. here is what our very own BMW_tech explains when PUMA gets involved.

"PuMA is the new age technical assistance once all resources has been exhausted. A PuMA case gets created when the problem is beyond the tech and shop foreman's reach. A way for BMW to gather data and use as a tool to create a database for development/research/updates/repairs and also plays a big part on S.I.B.'s and it's updates. The Urban Program update requires a few digits (I once joked that these might be geographical codes and if you're in New Jersey you're basically SOL) in order to perform and complete this "retrofit". It's exactly what it sounds like, it's a program designed while following a taxi cab. PuMA cases are also sent for approval of part replacements, to gather data and to eliminate electrical misdiagnosis"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.