BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2013 - X5 Engine Malfunction message!

47K views 44 replies 19 participants last post by  IsabelB 
#1 ·
Last week, started my 2013 X5 after sitting over night in the garage and drive for about 10 minutes through some rolling country hills into very light city traffic. Weather was sunny and mid 50's, vehicle started and ran fine.

Stopped at two traffic lights, no problems. At the third light, upon starting off the x5 backfired, error message banner on the display screen, the yellow "engine malfunction - running on reduced power" message. Immediate rough running engine, like it was onrunning three cylinders. Idling rough, could only drive 20-30 mph to pull off the road in a safe area.

Stopped and called dealer/svc ctr, they asked if it was a red or yellow message. Being yellow they asked if I could restart it and drive it to their service ctr.

After restart, it was running a little better, so I headed to the dealer. Seemed okay for the couple mile drive.

At the dealer, they said they'd hook it up to the computer and get back to me. After a few hours, they called and said mulitple cylinder failure error messages, they'll need to keep it for a few days so it could completely cool off and they'd get back to after a few more tests.

A few days later, dealder informed me that they would be trying to replace a few of the injectors to see if that was the issue.

Anyone else have issues like this with a 2013 X5 (have had it since June, with only 7,000 miles)?

See less See more
#2 ·
You MUST get the actual fault codes...should be 4 alphanumeric characters, like 4D23 or 4EA2.... this will avoid the potential for confusion between what is really occuring and what the tech tells the service advisor and what HE tells youi.

It also give you data you need to keep track of what failures occur over time, should this become chronic.... there are many, many things that will cause this warning, and those symptoms- without precise codes we are wildly guessing.

A

#6 ·
So here's the update.

Got the vehicle back, seems to be running okay.

The faults codes indicated that cylinders 4 and 5 had misfires, with fuel injection being deactiviated for each.

The fix was to replace four of the injectors with updated BMW injectors. It was noted that they had seen this a couple of times with newer model X5's and changing injectors seemed to fix it. They noted that they were going to only change two, but moved the misfiring ones to other cylinders to test, so they decided to change four of them, once they took two others out.

Any one else have this issue?

Any one care to comment on how serious this is or if there may be a potential for it to happen again? (I'm not a mechanic so I really don't know)

Thanks

#17 ·
OP, I happened to my 2012 X5. The replaced the injector and spark plug for one of the cylinders. After that, the car was idling sporadically from time to time. For example, you start the car and the RPM is around 1300 then drop to around 500 where you feel like the car is going to stall. This was an intermittent problem and every time it occured I brought it into the shop. They did not find any codes related to the rough idling.

But the first time it happened when they had to replace the injector, my car was in the shop for 27 days. Then i brought it in everytime the rough idling thing happened. The 2012 was eventually lemoned.

[http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592979&highlight=]

#7 · (Edited)
It always troubles you when the experts are kinda guessing... 'we see this before and changing injectors helps'... I assume that the dealer was talking with BMWNA/PUMA and got approval/instructions from them. Which means that the experiences of others are helping with your car.

I'd have liked them to replace all injectors- if there was a mfg issue, I want a new lot of matched injectors... too late for that, but keep it in mind if there are more misfires.

This CAN be serious, if an injector fails and fills a cylinder with fuel. But that is why it has a 'deactivate' function I am guessing.

In terms of 'will something else happen' or 'did they get it right', just give it time. I expect that it will act up soon if issues remain.

A

#10 ·
Guys, this is obviously a recurring issue for multiple owners with the low power warning.

I've replied here about my run ins with this issue this year on my '11 X5 50i.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=627863&page=2

Over on Xoutpost, an X5M owner has had similar issues with an M, which I had been wondering about if it was only the 50i or also the 35i and M.
http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/x-m-forum/90268-just-bought-used-x5m.html

It's obvious to my dealer that they have no idea why this happens each time I've had it in. Regardless, I'm contacting BMW directly since they have been very responsive to some prior communication.

#14 ·
. Regardless, I'm contacting BMW directly since they have been very responsive to some prior communication.
So how'd that work out for you???? Them being all responsive and whatnot...

Well it's back.

Happened to me again this morning. "engine malfunction, running on reduced power". After I pulled over and turned it off, then back on it seemed to run okay to get me a few miles home. Will bring it in to BMW next week for a look. It's only been since the end of Nov, the last time it happened.
Let us know what they say.

And remember, that work order that they type up and you sign will be the ONLY documents you have to press issues with BMW. Make sure it says what YOU want before you sign it.

GL

A

#11 ·
You DO understand this this is one of the TWO possible failures when a fault occurs affecting engine fuel management, right?

If a fault causes rich running, all you get is a CEL. But if a fault may result in dangerously lean AFRs, the DME automactically protects the motor by running in the 'reduced power mode'.

To YOU, you think "ah ha, its that ONE failure- now happening across all these cars"

It reminds me of how prehistoric tribes would try to attribute cause and effect by what they could see....deamons, spirits, etc.

#13 ·
Well it's back.

Happened to me again this morning. "engine malfunction, running on reduced power". After I pulled over and turned it off, then back on it seemed to run okay to get me a few miles home. Will bring it in to BMW next week for a look. It's only been since the end of Nov, the last time it happened.

#15 ·
So it was in the shop for two days. It was indicated that no error messages showed in the logs. so they did some testing and found that they should change a plug and a coil. Which, as they noted was surprising for a car with less than 10,000 miles.

Kind of made me feel like I was making up the whole incident, just so I could leave the car at their garage and drive a crappy loaner for two days.

Upon picking it up, as I accelerated to leave the parking lot, "engine malfunction, enginge at reduced power" message, sputtering enging, can only drive 20 miles per hour. So I turn around and drive back into the garage, everyone is so surprised that it happened.

Third time in the garage for this issue.

#16 ·
Did you force them to open a NEW work order when you came back in? If you didnt, that let them off the lemon hook....

Really very sorry to hear. If you want some real detailed help, the codes will be essential. Sometimes the code points to a bad part.... but in the case that you have (for example) issues with fuel pressure regulation that trip a misfire in a cylinder, they will see the cyl XX misfire code- and replace that injector or that sparkplug...but the root cause was something else that just happened to trip a code for that cyl. Of course the BMW dealer ought to have a good master tech to really do a more complete troubleshooting. My perception over the years is that 80% of the time these 'trouble cars' are really 'troubled dealers' or bad service and diagnostics...and not wholely BMWNA. A good shop would nail it on the first or second visit, but bad shops misdiagnose, they lie, they obscure, they spin... treat the owner as the enemy. But I guess in the end BMW is culpable- they built the car, they trained the techs, they define how dealers may manage service visits.... the buck does stop...

well, anyway, hope you make some headway. I'd tell them that you want a PUMA case launched if this was not done. (Google it or search here)...if it WAS PUMAd already, you task is to escalate the pressure/incentive on them to pay attention. Dont be irrational, but be demanding.

GL

A

#21 ·
Got it back on Friday. They replaced the remaining 5 plugs and road tested it.

Not sure it can be explained or that the root cause has been found.

Seemed okay the last couple of days.

Oh, they also did a map upgrade.

Will keep you posted.

Thanks all for reading and your comments.

#22 ·
Got it back on Friday. They replaced the remaining 5 plugs and road tested it.

Not sure it can be explained or that the root cause has been found.

Seemed okay the last couple of days.

Oh, they also did a map upgrade.

Will keep you posted.

Thanks all for reading and your comments.
I had exactly the same symptomps and behaviour and was actually doing repairs 3 times. For the 3rd time they replaced all the injectors and coils and the problem never reocurred (at least so far). Before I could reproduce it in a few minutes. Like ard says we do not know if the cause is the same, but all the symptoms are - so there is a good chance BMW is learning how to fix this. For example, they started replacing injectors and coils right away on your car while on mine it took a while and they had to open a PUMA case to do it. Obviously the solutions database is filling up :) Good luck with yours!

#25 · (Edited)
Faults Codes or My Fault

SAME ISSUE 2012 X5 50I waiting to get all injectors replaced. Total of 35 codes lmao. side note - Repair by trial and error from a code; what the f*ck is this world coming to my friends? A good mechanic diagnoses the root cause vs the half witted Iphone generation "techs" working for most of the service centers today. Your dealer's service department as quoted earlier is not the ideal place to fix a high performance vehicle such as this.

my 2012 x5 50i is in for the same issues; faulty injectors and cylinders. Everyone here including me is saying wtf, but am I alone in saying driving this beast at avg hgwy speed of 100 mps without additional tuning can be the cause? After I am picking her up; she is getting a second look at those "Codes" and some new down pipes and a new exhaust along with a good flash to the engine ECU to make sure all the programming is "Faantasssticheeee" :)

no feeling more intense than to be in the cockpit of a fine tuned BMW at over 100 mph.

#26 ·
SAME ISSUE 2012 X5 50I waiting to get all injectors replaced. Total of 35 codes lmao. side note - Repair by trial and error from a code; what the f*ck is this world coming to my friends? A good mechanic diagnoses the root cause vs the half witted Iphone generation "techs" working for most of the service centers today. Your dealer's service department as quoted earlier is not the ideal place to fix a high performance vehicle such as this.
Totally agree here. Huge issue.

my 2012 x5 50i is in for the same issues; faulty injectors and cylinders. Everyone here including me is saying wtf, but am I alone in saying driving this beast at avg hgwy speed of 100 mps without additional tuning can be the cause? After I am picking her up; she is getting a second look at those "Codes" and some new down pipes and a new exhaust along with a good flash to the engine ECU to make sure all the programming is "Faantasssticheeee" :)
Not sure what you are saying.

You think driving fast is the cause of this issue???and you're going to mod it to help the car not have errors?!?!

If you have a warranty, you wont afterward

SAMEno feeling more intense than to be in the cockpit of a fine tuned BMW at over 100 mph.
The cockpit of a finely tuned 911 turbo at over 150?

:)

#28 ·
@ ARD -

Disagree about warranty; if you get M performance or Dinan or comparable parts you are ok. Or so I think?! 911 or X5 I am driving around in my moms Tiguan lmao till BMW deciphers my Fault codes - I want my truck back. The driving fast point was that it is a sports car and needs to be tuned accordingly. Stock parts do not always accommodate / anticipate this. I may be wrong, but the more I get into it I see that having your own diag tools and knowing a thing or two about the mechanics of the car will not hurt.

Where at in CA bro?

#32 ·
I had the same warning message issue on my diesel 35d. They ended up replacing the turbo (after repeated visits to the dealer) and it has been running fine for the past 2+ months. Several other components were replaced such as vacuum lines etc. to no avail. The car is now out of warranty and I decided not to purchase the non-BMW extended warranty that the dealer was offering. It was too much money for what it offered. If something major goes wrong, I will trade it in and take the loss. If it works well for the next few years, I will trade it in when the time is right for me.

#33 ·
Sounds like our 2011 X5 which I traded in for a new 5.0i X5 in February. They changed the software one time, changed some injectors another and coils another time. When the car got 47k we traded it instead of getting the extended warranty. I had similar problems with my 535i but the first time it was software the second time they had to replace the turbo and the third time it was new injectors. I just traded the 2010 535i for a 2013 M5, so far so good with the V8s but they are low miles. I didn't have any problems with the N54 or N55 until they had 20,000 miles or so..........

#34 ·
I also just started having this problem. My 2013 X5 5.0 has about 11000 miles on it. Last week got the first "engine malfunction/reduced power output" warning. Took it right to the dealer and ended up replacing all 8 fuel injectors -- I think they got fail codes from almost all of them while testing.

Drove great for the next week, and then same issue.

They have the car again, and I guess opened a "puma" case.

Any recent experiences with this issue? Those who have had it is going to be an ongoing problem or have they had it resolved with minimal trouble.

I have reviewed my states lemon law and I guess they get two more tries...

#36 ·
Any recent experiences with this issue? Those who have had it is going to be an ongoing problem or have they had it resolved with minimal trouble.
I had it and posted the experience here. In short it went away after replacing all injectors and coils, but it took a few tries. On the first try they could not reproduce the error, and I did within a few minutes of picking up the car. So it came back. Came close to the limit under the lemon law here in IL, but they fixed it and it worked beautifully ever since, knocking on wood not to jinx it. Very happy with the car.

#35 ·
^^ Make sure you get EVERY SINGLE CODE documented on the work order. If you have to, go back to the SA and ask him to retrieve their copy of the paperwork and make you a copy....

The whole 'three tries' thing will be predicated on this.

If the same codes keep coming back then it is a lock for a lemon...otherwise BMWNA will say "oh, its other things- not the same failure" This is especially true when they start replacing parts here and there, they claim it is all different....

Just FYI- hope it is fixed

#38 ·
I received this error message three times in a row today on my 2011 X5 35D. Oddly, the car didn't seem to actually exhibit any symptoms. It was running great before and after all of the messages. However, we are experiencing pretty extreme cold temperatures currently in my region. My garage is heated to 45 degrees and my drive to my destination today was uneventful even though the temperatures were single and double digits below zero F. My car was parked in temps around zero for four or five hours during the day before I headed back home. It was on the way home after about 20 minutes of driving, that the messages were displayed. I dismissed the message at least three times...perhaps four. But I felt no symptoms at all and the car was running great. Had I not seen the message, I would not have any inkling that anything was wrong at all. I wondered if the fuel might be a bit gelled and if that might cause the computer to complain about anomalous behavior with the injectors.

I've seen the advice about getting the explicit codes from the dealer and I will request that when I have it serviced. But I'm not sure if I need to take it in based on the message being accompanied with no symptoms.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.