BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

HUD for x1?

8K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  Gort 
#1 ·
I know it comes standard on x3 and up and not standard on x1. I was driving a loaner last week an x1/28, it did have the hud and I really like it.

Is the only way to get HUD on x1 is to order navigation? Is there any other way?

Thanks

#3 ·
Hmmmmm, I dont see it as an option neither that's why I posted here.

Let me check with my service adviser the exact model of the car i was driving. Maybe an earlier year had the option?

#5 ·
I have a 2014 fully loaded, HUD is not an option. I'm curious what you were driving as well bimmee as that is definitely an option I would have taken if it was available. I recall it was actually a negative for me on the side of the X1 vs. the 3 series wagon.

I'm not trying to be condescending but you sure it wasn't a 3 series wagon or an X3? HUD's an option on both of those. :dunno:

#7 ·
I am very very very positive. Before this loaner i didnt even know x1 exists.

Brcause of this car now i am looking into buying one, and have been contemplating between x1 and x3, buy x3 to me looks a lot bigger.

#9 ·
Definitely not currently an option, and I don't believe it ever was. Maybe OP drove a Johnny Cash Special X1 ("I built it one piece at a time, and it didn't cost me a dime")?

#10 ·
Im so sorry everyone i have mistaken. I thought hud is the on screen display and the button controller by the shift knob.

My apologies!!! So now the question is, what do you call that, idrive?

on the x1, does it only come with tech package? Looks like x3 has it come standard.

Again sorry for confusion.

#11 ·
Ah, yes, you're talking about iDrive. I believe that is an option that comes with the Technology Package (or the Ultimate Package, which is a bundled combination of the Technology Package, the Premium Package, and the Driver Assistance Package). HTH.

#14 · (Edited)
I was basing my assumption on testing the current configurator on bmwusa. For all currently available models (s28i through x35i), it did not show the iDrive know on the interior shot unless and until adding either the Technology Pkg or the Ultimate Pkg.

However, your post prompted me to come at it from another angle, and it appears from the literature that you're correct:

That's from the 2014 BMW X1 Standard and Optional Equipment list Rev 3/1/2013. Thanks for setting us straight.

#16 ·
Thanks for clearing that up. I will make sure I confirm with sales rep it is standard on all 2014 x1. Cost of technology package saved, nice :thumbup:

#17 ·
You MUST add either the Ultimate Package or the Technology Package in order to get the iDrive screen in the dash. If neither of those packages are selected you will get a storage bin in its place. This is true on the 2013 and 2014 X1s. I saw several X1s at the dealer when I got mine that were 2014s WITHOUT the iDrive screen and just the storage bin.

Here is a random 2014 X1 photo I found without iDrive:

#18 ·
Oh damn, this is just too confusing. On bmwusa website, on the build your own page for x1, clicking the standard features link this is what it says:

Instrumentation and controls
• 3-spoke leather-wrapped multi-function sport steering wheel with controls for audio system, cruise control, and Bluetooth® wireless communication for hands-free mobile phone2
• Bluetooth wireless technology for hands-free calling (if equipped with compatible Bluetooth phone2) and phonebook downloading capabilities (please visit your authorized BMW center for details on standard and optional services)
• USB audio connection
• Condition-Based Service display with additional functions accessible through iDrive system
• Dynamic Cruise Control3
• Rear-window defroster
• Tire Pressure Monitor
• BMW TeleService (includes a 10-year subscription)

Is it possible the newer models have them included? :dunno:

#21 ·
Yes, looks like (contrary to the equipment list?), some X1's definitely come without the controller knob and (at least full) iDrive functionality. As an additional data point, I've registered the X1 I have on order on bmwusa, and I noticed this morning that they've provided me with two owners' manual options for download:

#22 ·
Well, I guess that solves it, no iDrive for me. You would think that in almost a year they could fix a typo in the equipment list... Not that I need it much but kind of annoying nevertheless. Interesting I didn't notice this during the test drive.

So, in the absence of this interface, how do you go about mundane things like measuring the oil level, that in the dark ages were done, well, with a dipstick.

#24 · (Edited)
Thats a shame...

The reason i like the screen and the controls is its easy to browse through my usb drive. will be so cumbersome and hard without the screen.

And the thing is, i dont mind paying for it. But i dont want to pay 2k when i dont want the nav .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.