BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Indy interval service - 2009 550

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  HPIA4v2 
#1 ·
Taking my car in for a indy interval service @ 60k next week. I'm replacing the battery, spark plugs, cabin filter and oil change. I'll have them do a once over for any issues I need to bring to the attention of the dealer but besides that, any preventative items I should take care of that you guys have encountered? Tranny flush? Cooling system flush? I want to knock out as much as possible on this visit.

#3 ·
Eh, only the OEM batteries are expensive. Many owners have gone with Interstate batteries for about $150 and have had no issues, and at 4 years he is right in the ballpark for a new one.

The tranny flush should happen between 60-75k, if you wait until 100k it will cause more harm than good. The only other thing to look for is oil leaks common to the N62 engine - upper timing covers, valve covers, the valley coolant pipe, alternator bracket gasket (I know this is more common on the 545, but I know several owners of 750's that have had this replaced)

#4 ·
We need to put Mike Miller BMWCCA teck-guy list of interval maintenance as sticky.
I've seen it once but can't recide all from the top of my head.

If you trust the indy shop, they'll suggest items that common for your car. Some is honest and only do necessary works.

Coolant flush and brake flush is the min on your car.
Tranny and diff flush is sensitive area, some believe some don't. I'll say if done correctly it's not harmful, always good to get rid of old fluid with some metal shaving.

valve-cover, coolant pipe etc only if they leaks, no sudden total failure from not doing it right away.

Check batteryr, no need to replace unless you start seeing high-dischrage or any funny electronics stuff.

#5 ·
Definitely replacing the battery because I am getting the high battery discharge alert, especially when the temp drops. I keep the car garaged but I still get the alert. In addition, there's a bad order (sour?) that comes out of the vents when I turn on the AC. I'm hoping getting the microfilter in the cabin replaced will fix this but someone suggested mold??? I wouldn't even know where to begin to fix this.

#6 · (Edited)
For the odor from the vents, do the microfilters first, but make sure to get the Activated Carbon Microfilters. They do sell regular paper filters that are much cheaper, but lack the odor and allergen elimination of the activated carbon ones. If that doesn't cure the odor you can have the system cleaned, I don't think it's that expensive either, less than $100.
As the other members posted, coolant and brake fluid should be about due as well, but check your iDrive to see what the next interval is according to the car - the dealer will go off of this when deciding whether to do it or not. I would do tranny and diff fluid replacement if you want to get it out of the way. Not sure why BMW calls it "lifetime" oil in the tranny, but I find that REALLY hard to believe. That said, better to get it done before 100k miles like I said before.

#8 ·
Very true, but if you do jhave a leak, might as well do the flush while you're at it - "kill 2 birds.........."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.