BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

OT: Southern Flavors

2K views 25 replies 8 participants last post by  DLF750 
#1 ·
As some of you know by now, I am a avid cooker and self-proclaimed Chef. :D
I learned most of my cooking from my beloved Grandmother and other family. It brings me peace when I prepare food and eagerly await the results. And my wife and kids and even friends certainly appreciate it.

Today I am preparing "Southern-Style Collard Greens". If you've never heard nor had them... I'm sorry for you. :(

I'm preparing as you read this.

Ingredients:

Collards
Ham Hocks
Bacon
Onion
Garlic
Olive Oil
Red Chilies (dried)
Chicken Stock
Salt & Pepper

Saute the oil, onions, garlic, chili and bacon for @ 10min
add Chicken Stock and Hocks continue cooking for 20-30 min over med heat to let all that yummy goodness create a broth full of flavor!
Then add your Greens or Cabbage (works just as well) and cook on low heat for 1.5hrs.
Enjoy with your favorite meats and sides and especially Cornbread! ;)

Finished dish coming soon...

See less See more
#7 ·
Tx, one day we'll have to have a cook-off. I come from a family of cooks too and I spent a lot of time apprenticing with them in their kitchens. When my Mom was alive she used to ask me to make her collards. For my collards I use many of the same ingredients, except I substitute smoked turkey thighs for the ham hocks. I don't use chicken stock and I use a chorizo sausage. Of course, everything begins with bacon fat, chopped onions, and chopped garlic. I cook them slowly and my collards make their own juice. Like yours, people fight over mine too!

#10 ·
True dat, Bro!

#11 ·
Cooking collards is an art form unto itself!

#14 ·
I am from Texas and now live in Chicago. Couldn't find great chicken fried steak here so I google the receipt from Threadgills in Austin. Bought myself a cast iron skillet from Amazon and wow, I have to say, I made amazing CFS! It's so awful for you but tastes so good with some mashed taters and gravy.

#17 ·
Black Eyed Pea still around? Used to go there growing up in Big D. Think my family knew the owners. My family is an OLD Dallas family, they know everyone, including the original Neiman and Marcus families. And I mean old. We owned furniture stores in Dallas and Houston.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.