BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Loud Ticking Noise from Engine

11K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  raaizin 
#1 · (Edited)
Hoping someone can help with this. My X3 has always had a pretty loud lifter tick but I wasn't too worried based on what I've read on this forum and after running the engine at higher RPM for a bit it always went a way.

Today I noticed this sound: https://goo. gl/photos/WiYtY7WZfDTUXXeq7

It's louder then what I'm used to, and it seems to be slower maybe? It still increases in rate as the engine revs but still not as quick as the old lifter tick.

Can someone diagnose or give me some options? :dunno:

Thanks

EDIT wouldn't let me directly link to the video so you need to cut and paste address bar and take the space out between goo. and gl

#2 ·
You still have the lifter tick. I think you just have a new sound to go along with it. Not sure what that may be.

Regarding the lifter tick. Previous owner had the oil changed every 5k with synthetic but I don't think it was LL-01 approved oil. I used BMW's oil and haven't had any lifter tick since.

#5 ·
I can't listen as the link won't open, so I'm going on assumption. N52 is known for lifter tick. Knocks are different and far worse (not saying you have a knock). If it's making other noises, check for loose belt tensioners and properly functioning CCV, is differences in pressure inside the cam cover will make it knock.

#10 ·
I heard the same. Lifter tick, AND another tick/knock. It doesn't sound like a rod bearing. That is more of a pronounced knock that gets much louder when you put a load on the engine.

Mine makes the same noises, bit not quite that loud.

The secondary tick/knock could be one of your accessories. Try turning the AC on and off to rule out the AC compressor.

Due to the speed of that second tick, I'm thing maybe something with the cams themselves, or the Vanos.

#11 ·
Easy way to check for rod bearing or wrist pin: apply throttle, and if the secondary knocking goes away, but then comes back as soon as the load is taken off the engine, it points to classic rod bearing failure. However, if that were the case, you'd see oil pressure plummet (there's gotta be a diagnostic step procedure to get a read out of oil pressure).

I'd check to make sure tensioners and idlers aren't loose; my E46 sounded similar and it was because the belt tensioner bolts were loose. Or check CCV and oil cap; if you take the oil fill cap off a running engine with a normally functioning CCV system, it'll sound just like that.

#12 ·
EXACT same noise in your video that mine had. The dealer first replaced the Roller Drag Levers with an updated part. Part# 11-33-7-559-797 which is the part# listed on the early SIB (TSB) which covered the ticking problem. This did NOT fix the problem at ALL. Tick was exactly that same as yours. Then the dealer replaced Roller Drag Levers AGAIN with updated part# 11-33-7-631-589. Apparently this updated part has larger openings so that oil flows easier to HVLs. So far it's been over 15 months and NO tick. Good luck.

-Aaron
2008 X3 3.0si 74,000 miles

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.