BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

08 ccv?

3K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  sexygirl 08 
#1 ·
i have an 08 x3 si. seem to have high oil consumption(about a quart a month). also a slight vacuum at oil cap. so i figured ccv. bought one off ebay with all hoses only to find out it was the wrong one. do these symptoms sound like ccv (no cel). confused about ccv for my year. found a part called a crankcase breather only to find out it is a heater. any help would be appreciated

#2 ·
To find exact parts for your vehicle go to realism.com and punch in the last 7 digits of your vin. I've also found that Amazon lets you select your vehicle and they usually hit every part correctly. If you don't already have it I would recommend getting the Bentley manual as it is an essential how to guide.

#6 ·
Easiest is just to replace the valve cover. I'm not sure if you can buy the membrane only and also the valve cover with all its oil passages for the CCV is dirty, that's the second benefit of replacing it.

I'm not sure what heater you are referring to. The N52 CCV system has an electric heater built in, but since the N52N CCV is sitting in the engine nice and warm, there is no need for additional heating. I couldn't find any additional heater for N52N.
// there is an oil heater near the oil filter but that's not related to the CCV.

#7 · (Edited)
FESTCHIVE replacement CCV membrane posts

some folks have done it....maybe start reading around post 9

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=887502

also ....post 44 below from LAHIRU97 for a success in swaping the diaphragm only

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW X3 3.0si
View My Garage
I just replaced the membrane in the valve cover with the aftermarket part instead of the entire valve cover and so far so good! The whistle noise is gone and i can open the oil filer cap and feel little vacuum. I need to wait 24 hours for the RTV i used to seal the cap to set and after that ill take it on a good test drive and post how it feels.

Thanks so much swampx3 for helping me diagnose the issue and pointing me in the right direction! I truly appreciate it since you have saved me well over $500.

Click image for larger version

Name: IMG_0395.jpg
Views: 25
Size: 128.3 KB
ID: 544143

#10 ·
some folks have done it....maybe start reading around post 9

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=887502

also ....post 44 below from LAHIRU97 for a success in swaping the diaphragm only

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW X3 3.0si
View My Garage
I just replaced the membrane in the valve cover with the aftermarket part instead of the entire valve cover and so far so good! The whistle noise is gone and i can open the oil filer cap and feel little vacuum. I need to wait 24 hours for the RTV i used to seal the cap to set and after that ill take it on a good test drive and post how it feels.

Thanks so much swampx3 for helping me diagnose the issue and pointing me in the right direction! I truly appreciate it since you have saved me well over $500.

Click image for larger version

Name: IMG_0395.jpg
Views: 25
Size: 128.3 KB
ID: 544143
Wow. Somebody pulled it off. Nice.

I tried to get that cover off of my old valve cover, and came to the conclusion that the cover would get destroyed in the process.

I still have that valve cover, I might give it another swing.

I am happy that I went with a full new valve cover. I like my car too much to half ass anything.

#8 · (Edited)
A lot of folks smarter than me have chimed in but haven't asked this yet...

How do you know your oil consumption is from this versus oil loss from a leak?

Have you checked for leaks from the OFHG, valve cover gasket and vanos gasket? Those have a much lower MTBF (with OFHG being lowest miles and most common) than the VC membrane failing for the ccv. It happens but check the cheap easy stuff first since leaks don't always make it to the garage floor due to the splash shield.

#9 ·
i do have a leak at the oil filter housing and or the oil cooler. just got gaskets and will tackle this weekend. didnt think that leak would be as much as i am losing. as for the heater,a hose comes out of the back of the valve cover, wraps around valve cover and terminates into what i call the heater. does this sound correct?

#11 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.