BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2008 X3 advice re:waterpump hoses

798 views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  BMWaufKS 
#1 ·
I am in the process of chasing a small coolant leak and figured it was time to change the water pump (106,000 miles) and was wondering if I should replace all the coolant hoses as well? Do any parts dealers have a parts discount for all the parts needed?

#4 ·
I just changed my water pump last week on my 05 X3 and had 2 observations:
1) When removing the drive belt's, don't use the T55 Torx head bolt behind the dust cover to slacken the tensioners. They just aren't deep enough to get really solid engagement with the Torx bit and you will wind up stripping the Torx head. On the main Drive Belt tensioner, there is a 16mm hex that sits below the tensioner pulley that you can get a really good grip on. You can then lock the tensioner with a 4mm drill or something similar. On the AC Pulley, there is a T60 recess in the casting that works very well. You kind of have to feel for it as it sits below the Tensioner Wheel. This will save a good deal of aggravation.
2) This may not apply to your '08 engine, but I used a water hose clamp to clamp off the heater core prior to draining the radiator & block. By doing this, I was able to refill the system with all of what I drained (minus what fell on the floor of course). After running the engine to temperature, I added another 3 or 4 ounces and the system was full, no sweat, no hassle, no drama.

#7 ·
I have the N52.
It is a B!tch getting the hoses off the water pump, and you can't get the water pump out with the hoses attached.

Then next time I do it, it will cut the hoses to get the pump off, and install all new hoses. The price is worth it.
The worst part of the job is getting the hoses off the pump.

#8 ·
Some of us (but not at least one of us who's very vocal :p) found that taking the right front wheel off made getting to the T-stat's hoses much easier. With the T-stat out, the water pump is easier to get to.

But I replaced my hoses anyway, and the biggest challenge for me was getting the hose off the radiator. It was very stuck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.