BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Potential M3 Purchase

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Burning2nd 
#1 ·
I'm looking at purchasing an E36 M3 DD/Track car. I do a fair amount of track days, either racing in a Lotus Elise or just tracking in a Cayman S. Unfortunately the Cayman recently suffered the dreaded IMS bearing failure, and my rebuild won't be complete until May 2014 (!). In the mean time I need DD and track day car.

I've had 4 BMWs (330ci ZHP, E90 335i, F30 335i, X3), but none of them have been track cars.

There's a lot of modded M3s in the SF Bay Area, but most of them are street modded and more often than not, a pile of parts rather than a well assembled machine

The car I'm consider is specifically track prepped, see http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4025943067.html.

One issue is that the car is totally track oriented and has no interior, but that can dealt with (I've redone interiors before, so no biggie really).

Of course, I'll do detailed inspection myself and have a local shop do a PPI with compression and leak down. But I would like the community's input as well, since you all live and breathe M3s. Do you think price is about right for the level of work on the car?

Thanks in advance,

Bob

See less See more
#2 ·
That's about right from my point of view. I know another track prepped M3 that might be worth looking into, as well.

One concern is the need to replace the midpipe to pass smog. Not sure if that's too annoying for you or not.

What is your commute like? Are you willing to commute on track prepped suspension? I have a stiff sport suspension and it's perfect for me, but if I were to go with stiff bushings and a good track-ready coilover system I'd probably break my back driving it daily.

Good luck with your search!

#3 · (Edited)
suffered the dreaded IMS bearing failure,
you mean your ass puckered when they told you the price?

lol

welcome to the wild world of Porsche, If you lived closer.. Im sure we could beat there price by half...

M3 isnt going to treat you much better... If you wanted to keep that same standard as you want to on the 911

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.