BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

E90/E91/E92/E93 OEM Spare Tire source

956K views 709 replies 262 participants last post by  tcphoto 
#1 ·
I know the leather-Z kit has been out for a while. it just never sat right with me that a) it was almost 400 for the kit that fit the 335i ( tire + tools + spacer & bolts)
b) you needed to use a 15mm spacer to get it to work.

digging through the ETK, it looks like the leather-z spare is the spare from the E46 cab.
3.50BX17 ET:30

a little more digging shows that the E60 550i uses front brake rotors the same size (348mm) and thickness as the 335i. brake calipers look to be of approximate same size.

the compact spare for the 550i is:
4BX17 ET:18

the offset is close to that of the E46 spare plus spacer-- ET 15 for the E46 spare wheel + spacer vs ET 18

now the fun part. BMW sells a retrofit spare kit for the E60. it includes:

the wheel +tire diameter is within 2% of stock tires.

total price from tischer BMW, for the whole retrofit kit listed above, before shipping, is $239.

I've ordered up a set, will keep everyone posted as to if it works. if it doesnt, i have a new flower planter. if it does, a spare that works without having to deal with the spacer, and for a lower price.

See less See more
#48 ·
Great thread. I will stick it (and rename it for clarity)!

In the meantime, will an X5 spare fit too? Is it the same as the X3/550i?

- Mike

#50 ·
X5 looks like it uses a different rim and tire. rolling diameter comes out to 662mm

the E60 spare is 647mm
the E46 spare is 632mm

Stock E9x varies from 640mm( 19" rolling diameter front) to 634mm (17" sport package front)

IMHO, its too much of a difference for the X5 spare. almost an inch in diameter.

X5 spare specs (E70)

Black steel emergency wheel 5JX18 ET:14
Tyre 155/90 R18 113M

#51 ·
has anyone else test fit this? I know it works for my E90, but would like confirmation that it fits everyone's car. we can start a list of verfied fits.
:D

my usual caveat applies to this project, Your Mileage May Vary, as i cannot control the BMW production elves.

please please please, test fit before throwing it in your trunk and depending on it in case of an emergency. i cannot stress this enough, but you MUST verify this fitement as i only have tested this on my car (03/07 production 335i out of leipzig)

an interesting wrinkle is that there are body changes and from what i hear suspension changes for the 09 E90 LCI. a wider track. i doubt that it will affect the fit, but keep this in mind.

#54 ·
I may order the kit... I guess I could always sell it at lease-end. :dunno:

- Mike

#55 ·
Where are you putting the spare?..Are you just putting it in the trunk?.....How much luggage space does it take up?.....I noticed that your parts list includes a mounting bracket...Is this bracket usable(seems like it was designed for an E60.....Can you post a photo of the spare mounted in the trunk?....thanks

#56 ·
the bracket is the hold down washer and wingnut. it just gets tossed in a corner of my trunk and held down with a ratcheting strap.

the E60 actually has a well for the tire to go into.

#61 ·
wow man. great stuff.

likely wont clear the rotors.

why would you go with a 16" anyway?
i was actually going to ask this as well. i would be looking at a 16" because thats what i am running currently on my 328xi. though i was thinking of going 17"s for the summer, i might just stick to 16s.

this is great stuff though, would like to see how you fit it in the trunk.

#62 · (Edited)
wow man. great stuff.

i was actually going to ask this as well. i would be looking at a 16" because thats what i am running currently on my 328xi. though i was thinking of going 17"s for the summer, i might just stick to 16s.

this is great stuff though, would like to see how you fit it in the trunk.
for the spare tire, the dimensions are exactly the same.

16" rims, 17" rims, 18" rims, 19" rims, all have the same aproximate rolling diameter.
~25.2"
[(205*0.55)/25.4]*2 +16= 24.87" (205/55/16)
[(225*0.45)/25.4]*2 +17=24.97" (225/45/17)
[(225*0.40)/25.4]*2 +18=25.1" (225/40/18)
[(225*0.35)/25.4]*2 +19=25.2" (225/35/19)

#64 ·
the offset on the E46 is different than the E9X. leatherZ lists their E46 spare as needed a spacer on all E9xs except for the 325i

#70 ·
When I saw this tread, I called my local BMW parts supplier and gave them the number to verify fitment.

Have gave me another number and said it fits the 3 perfect, and cheaper too.

P/N:
36110443369 Wheel w/tire
71100445667 Tool kit

Anyone can confirm this?

DAM the RFT's.........I have a bad back and it literally killed me on a 3 hour road trip couple weeks ago. I crawl out of the car with a crooked back when we arrived.......I wanted to leave the car with wifey and take a bus back.....

#71 ·
neither of those parts are coming up as valid US market parts.

#74 · (Edited)
the 18 off the X5 might... i need to check what the rolling diameter of the M3 tires are.

edit: the rim at 18X5 ET 14 may fit, but the stock tire for that will be waaay too big. almost 29" diameter versus stock of 25.71

#75 ·
On Backorder again

I just ordered part number 36 11 0 308 889 from Tischer. Got an email that states:

Hello and thank you for your purchase. Please allow a few weeks for this part to arrive as it's currently on natinoal backorder here in the US. As soon as it arrives, we'll ship and provide an email confirmation with tracking #. We will also not charge your card until we recieve and ship the part. Thank you! -Ev getBMWparts.com

I'm assuming I didn't screw up and order just the wheel, right? 36 11 0 308 889 is the whole kit (please).

#76 · (Edited)
I just ordered part number 36 11 0 308 889 from Tischer. Got an email that states:
Hello and thank you for your purchase. Please allow a few weeks for this part to arrive as it's currently on natinoal backorder here in the US. As soon as it arrives, we'll ship and provide an email confirmation with tracking #. We will also not charge your card until we recieve and ship the part. Thank you! -Ev getBMWparts.com
I'm assuming I didn't screw up and order just the wheel, right? 36 11 0 308 889 is the whole kit (please).
yep, its the whole kit. comes prepackaged in a box with that P/N on it. i do find it amusing that the ETK has a picture of the box the kit comes in....

DescriptionSupplementQuantityTransmission CatalystDateWeight (kg) PricePart number
*******> ********>
01Set emergency wheel with tyre

Set

6,622170,59 ***8364;36 11 0 308 889
comprises space saver wheel with tyre oddments tray articulated car jack, steel articulated lifting jack crank wedge bracket for spare wheel
*******> ********>

when i got mine, there was only 1 kit in the states. i wonder if BMW AG is trying to figure out why there's been a sudden run on spare tires

#77 ·
Flying Monkey Herder: This is great information you've posted regarding the compact spare tire. The only thing holding me back in buying non-run flat tires and the compact spare is how much space it takes up in the trunk. Do you have the diameter and height of the spare tire...any information is appreciated? When we take trips, we carry some non-foldable bulky stuff so space can become an issue. Thanks for any information in advance.

#119 ·
Ah man, me too. Won't be able to fit the two suitcases. Dammit why didn't they at least leave a well under the trunk? :mad:

I farking hate RFTs. And I've had a tire shred so bad 150 miles from nowhere that RFTs wouldn't have done squat. It was bad enough limping into the next town at 50mph on the spare.

Guess I'll have to just pray that I don't repeat that experience.

#85 ·
well, trial by fire boys. I'm in buffalo NY this weekend and got a sidewall puncture of a rear rft tire 30 miles from my destination. ( i cracked another 19" rim earlier, so i'm having a very bad tire week.)
none of the local tire shops have anything close to even a regular tire in 255/35/18, so i'm going to have to drive home on the spare. 400 miles back to NYC. its going to suck keeping the speed down. the angry yellow warning label has 50mph listed, but checking the sidewall of the tire has it rated M or 81mph. going to see if i can limp back at 65-70mph. i do not recommend anyone else exceed the listed speed limit on the rim however.

BTW, check the tire pressure in your spare when you get it. it should be at 60psi. i found out today that mine was only at 45.

#86 ·
well, trial by fire boys. I'm in buffalo NY this weekend and got a sidewall puncture of a rear rft tire 30 miles from my destination. ( i cracked another 19" rim earlier, so i'm having a very bad tire week.)
none of the local tire shops have anything close to even a regular tire in 255/35/18, so i'm going to have to drive home on the spare. 400 miles back to NYC. its going to suck keeping the speed down. the angry yellow warning label has 50mph listed, but checking the sidewall of the tire has it rated M or 81mph. going to see if i can limp back at 65-70mph. i do not recommend anyone else exceed the listed speed limit on the rim however.

BTW, check the tire pressure in your spare when you get it. it should be at 60psi. i found out today that mine was only at 45.
that sucks!:mad: lets us know how it performs as mine is on the way. this example is why i am switching to go flats as it would be easier to find the tire that you need!!

#90 ·
yes, it should. the rolling diameter is the same regardless of rim size.

#92 ·
you have an 06, which uses the indirect FTM method. i'm not sure if you can/should reinit the tpm system when using the donut.

when i drove around with it all weekend, i had the angry flat tire warning message on, as the spare tire does not have a pressure sensor in it ( post 3/07 E90s have sensor based direct pressure monitoring)

#96 ·
Thanks for all the information Orient330iNYC!

I have owned my2008 335i Coupe for 2 weeks now...........7 days after purchase, I got a puncture in the front passenger side tire.:( Not impressed! With a price tag of $475 CND to replace, I'm looking at alternatives for the RFT.

It would be great to get confirmation from a forum member that the kit fits a 2008 335i Coupe with the Sports Package. Based on everything you have done, it should fit. I would like to be 100% sure before I order and have this kit shipped North to Vancouver, BC.

#97 ·
Thanks for all the information Orient330iNYC!

I have owned my2008 335i Coupe for 2 weeks now...........7 days after purchase, I got a puncture in the front passenger side tire.:( Not impressed! With a price tag of $475 CND to replace, I'm looking at alternatives for the RFT.

It would be great to get confirmation from a forum member that the kit fits a 2008 335i Coupe with the Sports Package. Based on everything you have done, it should fit. I would like to be 100% sure before I order and have this kit shipped North to Vancouver, BC.

I have an 2008 335i with the sport package / 18 inch staggered tires. I got the kit spare today, it fits perfectly flush for the rear wheels. It matches the front without touching the brakes, too (maybe there is like 1 mm at most between the them, but that doesn't matter). My only concern is that when installed in front, there are about 5 mm left between the steel wheel and the ?rotor part where the screws go in. i wonder if a spacer is still afterall necessary to reduce the forces on the screws... not sure though, it just doesn't look that kosher in front as compared with the rear...

my 2c