BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Side Airbag squib connector broken - can't reset SRS light

46K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  Bluboy007 
#1 · (Edited)
Side Airbag Connector is broken - Can't reset SRS light

Help!

While replacing my window regulator, I broke the locking tab portion of a 2-piece squib connector which connects to the side airbag on the front driver's side door. Now I have the SRS light, and I can't reset it because there is no airbag connection. (Already tried several times at my local indie shop). Here's a pic of the broken locking tab (this is actually from username "adaseb" from another forum/thread, but it looks exactly like my broken tab):

To save some much needed cash, I just want to buy the 2-piece squib connecter and replace the broken one by cut/splice. The entire door wiring harness (which the airbag connector is a part of) is listed over $70 on realoem.com. http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=EV53&mospid=47725&btnr=61_1090&hg=61&fg=05

Anyone know where I might buy just this 2-piece squib connector? preferably from an online retailer? Better yet, all I need is this top locking tab shown above. You can also see it on the Tyco Electronics website:

http://www.tycoelectronics.com/cata...154617,154531,161443,161446,161450,161451&N=3 (btw check out the 3D pdf on that link... WAY COOLL!!!!!)

Anyone else have this problem? thanks!!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Just an update on my broken locking tab for the airbag squib connector.

I looked up the patent on this airbag squib connector to understand how it operates and learn how to fix it. Well, it turns out that the locking tab (when engaged) is used to disconnect a short circuiting clip from the two (+ , - ) pins of the airbag module. This is a built in safety feature to prevent the airbag from discharging accidentally.

When the locking tab is removed (in order to remove the connector from the airbag), the short circuiting clip engages the two (+, -) pins so that the airbag cannot be accidentally discharged. See Figure 1.

Text Diagram Line Font Parallel

And when the locking tab is inserted to lock the connector, it pushes between the short circuiting clip and the two (+, -) pins to remove the short circuit, and thereby connect the airbag module to the power supply, and ready for discharge... (make airbag go BOOM ). See Figure 2.

Text Diagram Line Font Parallel

So the key to fixing my locking tab is to rebuild the two broken "prongs" which look like two big saber-tooths. This is what the locking tab is supposed to look like:

Font Architecture Illustration Black-and-white Logo

And this is how mine looks like, see the broken "teeth"?

The plan is to build a replacement set of plastic "crowns" (no I'm not a dentist...) and glue them to what's left of the broken prongs/teeth. This is not a high load part so super glue should be sufficient. Also will have to drill out the main body of the connector to receive the new "crowns".

Will provide updates on how this goes.

#6 ·
Thank you!!!

Dear patdosa,

I had the same exact problem having broken the side airbag squib connector in the course of replacing the driver's side lock actuator.

(Interesting aside: The lock actuator failed and was intermittently sending a signal to the control unit as if I was holding the key in the door lock in the unlock position. This caused the doors to spontaneously unlock, all 4 windows to open, and the sunroof to open while the car was closed and locked in the parking garage at work, or in my garage at home multiple times every day!!)

Anyway, your diagnosis of the problem with the broken squib connector, research, and documentation were superb! I just finished fixing my squib connector with a piece of old credit card like you showed, erased the airbag error, and am good to go! Thanks to you - this is my first post!

#7 ·
Dear patdosa,

I had the same exact problem having broken the side airbag squib connector in the course of replacing the driver's side lock actuator.

(Interesting aside: The lock actuator failed and was intermittently sending a signal to the control unit as if I was holding the key in the door lock in the unlock position. This caused the doors to spontaneously unlock, all 4 windows to open, and the sunroof to open while the car was closed and locked in the parking garage at work, or in my garage at home multiple times every day!!)

Anyway, your diagnosis of the problem with the broken squib connector, research, and documentation were superb! I just finished fixing my squib connector with a piece of old credit card like you showed, erased the airbag error, and am good to go! Thanks to you - this is my first post!
pchevray, thanks for your kind words.. glad everything worked out for you! :thumbup:

#8 ·
Squibb connector airbag light

i broke mine and had the similar problem after disconecting airbag to replace window regulator.i was able to source a squib connector and it fixed the problem rthen i had to reset the airbag light and its all good .i have ordered another 400 squib connectors and i ll be sending them out if anyone needs them....
regards
steff

#21 ·
i broke mine and had the similar problem after disconecting airbag to replace window regulator.i was able to source a squib connector and it fixed the problem rthen i had to reset the airbag light and its all good .i have ordered another 400 squib connectors and i ll be sending them out if anyone needs them....
regards
steff
Hi BOngOman, would it be possible to buy a few squib connectors from you. Have this issue on a 325i I recently purchased. Thx (eowl)

#14 ·
brken squib

Spent many an hour on this problem previously, had a deadline to meet so took it upon myself to "Remove" the shorting pin from the airbag.Magnifying glass and tweezers, job done.
I realise its there for "safety" but only when its unplugged which isnt often.
The customer was screeming for his car and BMW were useless to find the part seperately, wanted to sell me a "repair kit" which consisted ov the whole airbag to control unit wires and connectors, but no platic connectors that I asked for.

#16 ·
I took the end of the zip tie (the non locking tab end) and cut out a piece around the same shape and size of the broken off pieces. stuck them into the connector, put the cover back on, and reset the codes. haven't had the srs light come back over a year has passed.

#19 ·
patdosa, thank you!!!

That issue was driving me absolutely nuts! I cut a piece of frequent traveler card to make my new plastic teeth, everything works nice now. A tip for the next guy: I found it to be much easier to insert the tab in the connector before trying to connect to the airbag than following the BMW procedure.

One thing caused me an understanding problem though: when the airbag is disconnected, why isn't Rheingold reading the resistance to be infinite? It was 0.8 ohms for me, which led me to think the safety short was on the connector and not on the airbag.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.