BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

AE Side by Side Comparison... and finally found a good one!!

66K views 238 replies 50 participants last post by  gmcclintock 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

With my small fleet... I can do a nice comparison between all the lights on the market, so this is the second part of the series. Please see the attached pictures, in the Z4 is the LUX AE LED light... which are the brightest on the market that I have been able to find. On the 3 series is the OEM AE LED lights.... and on the 7 series (the one on the right)... are the AlpineMSS HID light system.

I have to say I am extremely impressed with the AlpineMSS system (www.alpinemss.com). The kit is very high quality, they are just as bright and as white as the OEM AE LED lights on the 3, they blow away the LUX AE lights, are extremely easy to install. I am not that mechanically inclined and it took me about 20 min. Alex over at alpine was extremely responsive and is working on a bulb that is slightly lower wattage... however I am not sure if I will go with that. These simply look amazing. The inner halo is crisp and sharp... the photos do not do it justice. This system does not throw any codes and yes they do work on the 7.. just ask Alex.... They are so good I am ordering a set for my Z4 and my X....

See less See more
#4 ·
Hey Mouivann,

Yes they are....

One note, these AE lights will not dim at night.... which I personally like... car looks completely different now driving around

#8 ·
I will do that this week.... they are brighter than the normal AE lights at night.... and brighter than the OEM AE LED lights at night.... but since they are non directional (unlike a headlight they are diffused in all different directions), I have not had anyone flash me or anything. My wife who drives the X5... which is the next car to get the treatment was in front of me at night and had no issues..... other than.. they look awesome!

#11 ·
2012AH7... I would save your money. I have tried LED lights like this several times (the Alpine lights were the 7th I have tried)... they are not that bright and you cannot see them during the day.... Again.. just my opinion...

#13 ·
Hey everyone... I posted this over on the ZPost forum.. figured I would share. Just installed the lights on my Z4.. and also have them on my 7. The 7 is a little easier to install.. .anyhow... here is the report

I had a couple of requests for pictures of the Alpine MSS HID lights at night for comparison with the OEM AE LED lights. In addition some install pictures. I am completely sold on these units, they are as bright as the OEM AE LED lights and look amazing. They are fairly easy to install, it took me about 20 min... a little longer than my 7 series... because I was idiot and forgot to remove the spacer from the light bulb housing so they could fit in the Z4 (you don't do this on the 7).... ok for the pictures.

The first step is to install the wire to the red contact under the hood... the is easy.. from the right side of the red jump connector, you pull the plastic housing off...

I run the wire under the air box... there is a wire bundle under there and it is easy to zip tie the new wire onto (Alpine MSS provides the Zip ties). (Side note.. on the 7 series.. this is on the back left of the engine compartment {if you are looking at the engine from the front}.. so you run it under the plastic housing on the left side of the car {again if you are looking at the engine}. So basically the 7 is reverse than the Z.

You can see where I ran it in this picture. (time so far about 4 minutes installing)

Next you run the wire forward... at this point you will need to attached the ballast (the square metal thing) to something. Since I plan on tracking my car, I wanted to put it in a good plane. So the forward part of the left front wheel wheel well was perfect... and allowed me to wedge it between the metal and the plastic to give it more support. Again, this area is completely open.

It is time to cut the plastic covers... what I purchased was a 1/2 inch wood drill bit.. .the kid that is flat and looks like a shovel at the end with the point... that works great.. take about 10 seconds to cut the hole. At this point you need to install the lights... which is easy.. unless you don't watch the directions. For the Z4... MAKE SURE YOU REMOVE THE WHITE SPACER ON THE LIGHT BULB AND PUSH BACK THE RUBBER SEAL. If you don't.. you will be cursing to the end of time because their will simply be too much to try to compress to insert the light bulb. Anyhow, you insert the light bulb.. and pull the wire through with the seal.. the seal will just pop in place... as you can seen from the pictures...

You then have to run the wire across the top of the radiator (to the right side of the car)...... again... very easy to do... just make sure it is secured... you don't want it to fall down in the radiator fan (bad day).

Finally I found a spot to mount the other ballast ... again... very easy to do.. they are secured by extremely powerful double sided tape...

And do the same with the right side light plastic cup..

Someone ask me to post some pictures of the 335i and the Z4 with the Alpines installed... because they are concerned about glare. I tried to get them from all angles, but basically there is no difference between the two. Again, the 335i has the OEM LED AE lights...

Please keep in mind.. that the design of the 335i lights and Z4 are different, that is why they look a little different in the side pictures..... all in all I have installed them on my 7 and Z... now I am ordering a set for the X5... Mouivann... I should have those completed next week....I am out of town this week....

#14 · (Edited)
FalconFlyer,
Very nice setup and thanks for the elaborating. However I still find the inner rings on the 7 a little to bright, perhaps Alex's lower wattage should do the trick. I'd like to see how it looks in lower voltage and than decide between the two. The inner ring on your 3 series is not as bright as the new one's on your 7, unless my eyes are playing tricks one me.

#239 ·
Where did you get your fog light bulbs from? And how do you like em?

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

#17 ·
SamLambo.... I think if you look closer at the pictures, you will notice the inner rings are not brighter than the other... It all depends on the angle... if you look at the Hyper559 pictures... they are completely even... and that is how they look in person....

#21 ·
I have had no issues with heat... to be honest... I think they run cooler than the OEM lights. The lights do not go dim, they are either on or off.... every cool at night. I have had lots of positive comments.. now have it on my Z4 and 750Li..... this week the X5 will be fitted with them... It looks like a totally different car.. both during the day and night...

#27 ·
Actually when you start the car, because HID lights are not instant on/off... the start off a little dim.. then get real bright. Really nice when you are walking out to your car. They do not do any flickering or anything like that...

#29 ·
Yes... Alex is very helpful ..... it will be interesting to see your opinion of the lights...

#32 ·
Not having switched out the bulbs yet, why are there two round bulb covers, one front and one rear, on each side? The front one on my car has a white wire and the rear one a red wire. Which one is the bulb that gets changed? I assume the other bulb is the zenon headlight, not the angel eye bulb, correct? Thanks for indulging the uninititated!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.