BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

steering wheel turn makes rub noise/feel

92K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  Face5 
#1 ·
I can feel it in the steering wheel (very slight vibe) and hear a rubbing sound when I make slow speed turns, while the wheel turns. For example turning into my driveway. It's not a squeak. I don't have active steering. Is this a belt issue? Something need grease? I guess I gotta check my PS fluid too.. but I can't find a reference in the manual.

'08 3.0si with 28k miles

#2 ·
I believe I have the same exact issue . . . but I felt it came from inside the passenger cabin - meaning the rubbing sound was some plastic piece rubbing against another surface. The only thing I can say for sure is it happens at parking speeds, steering wheel is turned nearly all the way to one side (yes it has happened on both left and right turns). I was planning to get this addressed at my next routine maintenance visit.

The BMW logo on the steering wheel had some marks on it . . . didn't see it when I took delivery, got the dealer to change it after about a year (warranty covered it). As I understood it, Dealer changed the entire air bag assembly . . . not sure if this has anything to do with this "rubbing sound".

Anyone else with this issue? Did you get this fixed?

#3 ·
I did have low PS fluid (checked when car was cold) so I filled it but the sound does still occur but less frequently. I was wondering if this could potentially cause some kind of worse failure down the road if left unchecked. Not as easy for me to bring it in since I have to go to an indy (no shuttle/loaner) so minor annoyances can wait. If it is just a minor annoyance that won't cause bigger issues...

#6 · (Edited)
Just had a similar issue fixed on my wife's 2010 X5 Xdrive30i...with 24,000 miles on it. Here is what the repair sheet said.

"Customer states steering wheel is noisy when you turn the wheel." Test drove and duplicated noise at lower steering column. Survey faults with ISTA and work test plan for steering noise. Per test, removed lower dash panel and inspect. Located noise at steering shaft collar bushing. Per test, lubricated bushing and retest. Correct noise complaint.

We have had the vehicle back for a few days now and so far so good. Hope that helps.

#13 ·
Just had a similar issue fixed on my wife's 2010 X5 Xdrive30i...with 24,000 miles on it. Here is what the repair sheet said.

"Customer states steering wheel is noisy when you turn the wheel." Test drove and duplicated noise at lower steering column. Survey faults with ISTA and work test plan for steering noise. Per test, removed lower dash panel and inspect. Located noise at steering shaft collar bushing. Per test, lubricated bushing and retest. Correct noise complaint.

We have had the vehicle back for a few days now and so far so good. Hope that helps.
I had the exact same issue on my 2010. They initially thought it was in the column but their "fix" only had me back a short time later. They wound up replacing the rack and that resolved the issue.

#7 ·
I have it now. Start it up and just a little tension left or right I can hear and feel a rubbing and it goes away after I pull off. What? I really do enjoy my X5 so far.

#11 · (Edited)
+1

Exactly my issue . . . I just can't duplicate it at the Dealer! Waiting for it to get worse and then address it.

Regarding door unlock - the car goes into a sleep mode 30 minutes (I think) after engine shut off/door lock. Prior to unlock it has to wake up - usually this happens when it detects movement (at least that is what is happening inside my garage where I can observe/hear better). If the car is awake, doors unlock readily - I found this behavior most obvious when unlocking the tailgate - sometimes I have to click the tailgate unlock button (above license plate) a couple of times for it to open.

One simple check - next time when the delay happens write down if the car was left locked for at least 30-45 minutes. If this is consistent, the delay is just the car waking up.

Not sure why only the rear doors are exhibiting this behavior - unless this just happens to be a coincidence.

Brake squeal - try giving it a thorough wash using some good wheel cleaner . . . I was able to get rid of mine by washing it thoroughly. These cars have an electric brake pad wear sensor . . . not the old style mechanical one that squeals to let you know the pads are worn out.

This is exactly what I think is happening in my case . . . my problem - it is not happening consistently . . .

#15 ·
just to report back, 3 years later, it just went away on its own. Had completely forgotten about this so it's been a while.

#18 ·
HI Guys I am having a problem with my BMW 320i E90 is has a coolant leak somewhere but I can't locate where, everyday I have to refill the coolant as it gives me warning that coolant is low, I have tried to look on the radiator hoses but could not find anything are there any Hidden hoses that I can search for? since I don't see any trace of leakage where could the coolant be disappearing to? Please help

#20 ·
Theres a small skiny black looking long straw which is really harder plastic that runs ontop of the radiator thats connected to the coolant tank rubber hose and then another rubber hose that connects to the radiator. Straw like hose should be directly in the middle front of the car close to where the hood latch is at but under some covering thats hard plastic. The darn piece cost around 85 bucks so i just replaced it with a rubber hose and new clamps. Havent had a leak in more then 4 months now.. in the pic it says about 17 bucks but thats odering it from somewhere. Auto zone told me 87 bucks...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.