BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Ballpark Price on Window Tint?

20K views 27 replies 18 participants last post by  JUBMW 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone - 5 days so far with my X1 and I'm loving it. Before purchasing I've been planning on getting the windows tinted. Besides the asthetic factor I also find window tinting useful for heat and overall comfort in the car.

So my question is - if you've had your X1 tinted what was the price? I don't mind getting the best quality film but also don't want to get ripped off. I've had quotes from $275 all the way up to $600. Would like to know what others are paying.

BTW. I'm in the Northern Virginia area (USA) if anyone has suggestions in my area even better!

Thanks

#5 ·
Just wondering why you tint "from the B pillar back." We also tint the driver/passenger side windows where I live. It really cuts down on heat in the summer. I always have the windows tinted
and will have my X1 windows tinted after I pick it up in SC in March. I think we pay about $200. The local tinting companies don't seem to last very long but I have never gotten a bad tint job.

#7 · (Edited)
Window tinting is not legal in Pennsylvania on any passenger car windows, front, back, sides. Vehicles with a flat loading floor (mainly SUV/Trucks) can have b-pillar and rearward tint. Does not stop owners of passenger cars from doing it . It is mostly left alone, but if stopped for another reason, they will be sited along with the original offence and told to have it removed.

#28 · (Edited)
Not true do your research better :thumbup:.
TITLE 75 Section 4524 (e)(1) of the Pennsylvania Common Statutes states that
(1) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any sun screening device or other material which does not permit a person to see or view the inside of the vehicle, through the windshield, side wing or side window of the vehicle.

PA Law / Statute

TITLE 75 of PA STATUTES ***8211; 4524 (e)(1) is the law, and it does NOT prohibit tint unless it ***8220;does not permit a person to see or view the inside of the vehicle through the windshield, side wing or side window of the vehicle.***8221; According to this PA Law all other tint is legal.
PA Regulation that clarifies the Statute!

PA ADMINISTRATIVE CODE TITLE 67 ***8211; CHAPTER 175.67 (d)(4)***8221; ***8211; some tint is prohibited, but NOT tinting ***8220;otherwise permitted by FMVSS No. 205***8243;. So it stands to reason that as long as your vehicle window tint is permitted by FMVSS 205, then it is legal in Pennsylvania, according to the PA Regulation. You may have to convince the authorities of that, though.

#8 ·
Robbie-

I am from northern VA and I have had my last three cars (a VW jetta, a 328 and now an X1) done at LA Tint down off of 95 near the Potomac Mills Mall. I had the top of the line ceramic "Pinnacle" film applied, and it cost me $275 for the X1 which they classify as an SUV even though I am betting the window surface area is about the same as a 328. I have had really good luck with their installers as well as the quality of the pinnacle film. I hope this info helps!

#13 ·
I had a groupon to Fresh Window Tint in Manhattan Beach for $145 to tint the five rear windows. When I got there he offered to upgrade to ceramic heat rejection film and do the front two windows (legal) for $250 more. I decided against it for now. Next summer if the car gets too hot I'll have the front two windows and the moon roof done with the heat reflecting coating.

#16 ·
sorry this took so long to post -work, vacation etc

I got the tinting at LA Tint in Sterling VA with their pinnacle tint. 50% on the front windows per VA law and 25% in the back. I'm really really happy with it. In my option it works well with the Midnight Blue Metallic and adds a bit of aggressiveness to the car.

Attachments

#18 ·
Quoted $300 for all windows, NYC@Theartoftint.

#20 ·
I was quoted $230.00 for Huper Optik Extreme 35% all the way around. Windshield excluded, of course. Installer is in Hampton, Va.

#27 ·
I have 3M Crystalline tint. 40% rear and 70% front. For those interested, the factory sunroof tint is about equal to the 70%.

I paid $449 for the 3M (lowest price I've found). I'm going to have have it redone under warranty as there are too many imperfections in the job (original shop already redid it once). BMW dealer quote for Crystalline was $1050. Another OC Tint shop quoted me $1200.

My parents have the 70% Crystalline tint on the front windshield. I chose not to do it. It is great on hot, sunny days but I find it distracting when it is overcast and at night. They have no such complaint.

70% is technically illegal on the fronts and windshield here but it is light enough not to get bothered by the cops.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.