BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Just came back from Mammoth with my X5

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  SupraRZ 
#1 ·
Just got back from Mammoth. If you didn't know, Mammoth got a couple FEET of snow this past weekend.

the VERDICT ON PERFORMANCE?

A++++++++++++++++++++++!!!!!

This reminded me of why I bought the X5....while i watched F150's and H2's spin their wheels trying to get out of the snow, i went 60 mph up the mountain. Heads turning in aw... No problems what so ever.

Very proud of my car....

#2 ·
dbcinfinity said:
Just got back from Mammoth. If you didn't know, Mammoth got a couple FEET of snow this past weekend.

the VERDICT ON PERFORMANCE?

A++++++++++++++++++++++!!!!!

This reminded me of why I bought the X5....while i watched F150's and H2's spin their wheels trying to get out of the snow, i went 60 mph up the mountain. Heads turning in aw... No problems what so ever.

Very proud of my car....
You were driving 60 mph in "a couple FEET of snow"? :thumbdwn:

I don't think the heads were turning in aw...I think they were terrified that you were going to kill someone. :tsk:

#3 · (Edited)
What rims/tires are on your X5? Are you driving a 4.4 or 3.0? SP or no SP?

I took mine (3.0 SP/18" rims with stock Michelins at about 60% tread) up to ski at Crystal Mtn this weekend in driving snow, with packed snow on the roads and I agree...a CHAMP! At one point I had to make a pit-stop and pulled off into about 5-6" of snow and little down a hill...and it pulled out no problem. The DSC light was flashing away, but that is what it is supposed to do. Once on the road, I really felt very confident in the nasty weather. I kept the speed down around 40 mph since the ditches next to the roads are pretty deep, and I like my X5 just the way it is thanks, and I had seen a few other cars that slid off. I would have been chaining up anything in 2WD, that is for sure.

I also bought chains rated at S clearence...which is supposed to be the lowest clearence available. I know the manual says not to chain the 18s, but by law we have to have them. The guy at the tire store told me I should have no problem, but I am skeptical of putting them on. I would be very interested to hear from anyone who has chained the 18s.

#4 · (Edited)
I have chains for my 17's, and they don't have any issues with clearance.

(This pic was taken in my garage when I tried the chains on for size - I know you don't put them on the front tires!)

Attachments

#5 ·
Yes, you can put chain on both sets of drive wheels on AWD vehicles, and it will kick tail in the snow. If you only have one set, you put them on the rear wheels on AWD vehicles.

#6 ·
alpinewhite325i said:
You were driving 60 mph in "a couple FEET of snow"? :thumbdwn:

I don't think the heads were turning in aw...I think they were terrified that you were going to kill someone. :tsk:
Emission is a professional rally driver, no need to worry :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.