BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
13K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  mdrob70 
#1 · (Edited)
2013 BMW X1

Having demonstrated that it is the perfect blend sports sedan-like driving dynamics and SUV utility in markets around the world, the BMW X1 is setting out to conquer the US. The talented Sport Activity Vehicle of the premium compact segment will make its US market debut armed with state-of-the-art powertrain technology, innovative features, selective design modifications and extensive interior refinements. The new 2013 BMW X1 celebrates its US premiere at the New York International Auto Show and will arrive in authorized BMW Centers in the fall of 2012 starting at an MSRP of $31,545 (including $895 Destination and Handling).

The smallest BMW X*model - produced at BMW Plant Leipzig - will take the leap across the pond with a renewed spring in its step, the result of a carefully judged honing of its core qualities. The design of the BMW X1 body now provides an even more intense expression of the vehicle's muscular presence, contemporary allure and versatile sporting capability. Its interior includes newly designed surfaces, more polished controls and high-quality touches exuding the exclusive premium ambiance of a compact BMW X model.

The BMW X1 has adopted a pioneering role among its premium class rivals in its current markets - and a repeat performance in the US is expected. Blending the versatility and robustness of a BMW X*model with a high level of agility and compact exterior dimensions, the X1 has set new standards from the word go. Powerful engines with BMW TwinPower Turbo technology and a broad spectrum of BMW EfficientDynamics technologies fitted as standard worldwide give the new BMW X1 the tools to further increase its lead over the competition in terms of sporting ability and efficiency.

2013 BMW X1

Design: new touches to sharpen its contemporary looks and enhance its versatility and sporting flair
Typical BMW proportions, expressive, vibrant surfaces and signature BMW X model design cues shape the appearance of the BMW X1. A sweeping hood, long wheelbase and set-back passenger compartment emphasize the vehicle's dynamic talent, while attractive light and shade effects hint at its inherent agility. The versatility and robustness of a BMW X model are reflected in elements such as the black edging at the lower edge of the body and wide wheel arches.

When viewed from the front, the powerful stance of the new BMW X1 on the road and its aura of quality are now accentuated with even greater intensity. A larger number of surfaces painted in body color highlight the vehicle's enhanced elegance. The path of the vehicle's lines, which converge on the license plate mount from either side of the BMW kidney and forge outwards in the lower section of the bumper, is borrowed from BMW X models in higher vehicle segments. The newly designed headlights allow a detailed view of the advanced light technology within. And a chrome-coated accent strip now cuts across the top of the twin circular headlights. Meanwhile, an LED accent light - included as part of the optional xenon light package, complete with LED light rings for the daytime driving lights - provides the classic BMW focused look.

The distinctive profile of the X1 is defined by a main character line that rises steadily to the rear of the vehicle while another line visually extends the contours of the side window surrounds as it flows towards the rear. The pronounced side skirts - that are a signature feature of BMW X models and the powerfully bulging wheel arches add sporting flair. Finally, the turn signal indicators are now integrated into the newly designed exterior mirrors.

The premium feel of the new BMW X1 is also underlined at the rear by the new subdivision of fascia, bumper and undertray, with the repositioned reflectors now also bordered by surfaces painted in body color. As a result, the black elements are slimmer, while the silver-colored undertray has a more striking surface structure.

2013 BMW X1

Interior: precise lines, high-quality materials, sophisticated color scheme
The modifications to the design of the new BMW X1 interior create an even more vivid showcase of the sporty driving pleasure, cutting-edge versatility and premium feel this vehicle provides. The side of the center console angled towards the driver is now shallower, spotlighting the driver-focused nature of the cockpit design.

High-quality electroplated trim surrounding for the gearshift lever and center console cup holders, a chrome strip for the headlight switch and chrome touches for the side edging of the Control Display - when the optional navigation system is specified - all add the finishing touches to the interior's premium feel. Plus, the air vent surrounds are given a high-gloss black surface.

The BMW X1: more sporting and efficient than ever
The variants of the BMW X1 offered in the US market will be powered by BMW TwinPower Turbo gas engines. This package of technology consists of twin-scroll turbocharging, High Precision Direct Petrol Injection, VALVETRONIC variable valve timing and double Vanos variable camshaft control. In both the award-winning 6-cylinder inline N55 engine under the hood of the BMW X1 xDrive35i, developing 300 hp. The 240 hp 4-cylinder N20 engine powering the BMW X1 sDrive28i and BMW X1 xDrive28i ensure instantaneous power delivery, impressive acceleration and exceptional efficiency.

Both engines are paired with an automatic gearbox and extensive BMW EfficientDynamics technology. Features including the Auto Start-Stop function (28i only), Brake Energy Regeneration and demand-based operation of ancillary units all help to achieve a blend of performance and fuel economy unique in the market.

The BMW X1 sDrive28i with customary BMW rear-wheel drive and the all-wheel-drive xDrive35i will be offered exclusively in the US market. The intelligent all-wheel drive of the BMW X1 xDrive35i and BMW X1 xDrive28i varies the distribution of drive between the front and rear wheels, as required. This electronically controlled power distribution ensures optimum traction and unbeatable directional stability in all weather and road conditions, as well as noticeably sportier responses through dynamically taken corners.

BMW 2013 US Spec X1 Pricing
  • BMW X1 sDrive28i starts at $31,545
  • BMW X1 xDrive28i starts at $33,245
  • BMW X1 xDrive35i starts at $39,345

All prices include $895 Destination and Handling.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
No MT, no X1 for me. I was planning an ED when it became available but looks like the end of the line for BMW for me. X3 has gotten too big and I need a "SAV" for the winters in CO.

Cheers

#3 ·
No MT, no X1 for me. I was planning an ED when it became available but looks like the end of the line for BMW for me. X3 has gotten too big and I need a "SAV" for the winters in CO.

Cheers
We're heading to the NY Auto Show on Wednesday. We'll be talking to the X1 product manager about the availability of a MT and will report back.

Stay tuned,
Tim

#9 ·
Even better would be a manual xDrive35d.

Who gets the marketing data for BMW NA? They're obviously looking in the wrong place.

#11 ·
From your signature, it appears you're already driving the diesel X5. I was going to rant about how I understand it is tough to get an engine classified for the US market, but since it's already in the E70 X5, it shouldn't be that tough to get it approved for the X3 and X1. What is the justification for denying us such an awesome combo? Can't they just scale back production to meet demand? I don't want to have to get a refurb diesel and swap it into my X1...

:mad:

#13 ·
Nice... if I can do an ED with a lightly-equipped 28i for around 35k, I am sold! :D

Tim

#14 ·
You can't get a 28i in a manual in Europe, and SC can barely pump out enough F25's as it is. They pumped a ton of cash into Leipzig (X1, 1er and i) and have capacity for the volume there. The X1 is a low priority for the US (look at how it got pushed so long because of demand elsewhere) and short of them producing in SA or Brazil, its going to stay in Leipzig.

#15 ·
By the pricing they seem to be positioning this to compete with the Audi A3 and the Subaru Outback. I also wouldn't be surprised if this cannibalizes sales from the X3 and the F30.

I would also expect that this means ixnay on a F31 wagon for the US market?

Time to start laying the ground work to do an X1 ED for the wife. She is pretty strongly anti-bmw but there are not a lot of great small AWD wagons/crossovers out there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.