BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Can you fit your bike in the trunk of a 1 series?

13K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Guey 
#1 · (Edited)
Former 328 (E36) owner buying another BMW. Test drove a 328 ix, 128 and 135 vert the other day. Had fun driving all 3 and can't make up my mind (whole other thread).

One of my criteria is being able to get my Trek bike in the car. Have a Subaru hatch now so it's not a problem. Anyone throwing there bike in their 1 series?

FWIW will be selling (thats what I told my wife) my '01 Boxster and using the BMW as DD/fun car.

And speaking of fit how about getting in and out of the backseat. I know on paper there's about and inch difference between 3 and the 1. Won't use the back seat a lot but ...

Thanks everyone and can't wait to become an official member.

#2 ·
jmr,

I found your post interesting on several points. First off - the backseat space. Check this thread:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=517439

Secondly - putting a bike in a 1-series trunk: I've not owned a 1-series, but have driven, examined, and considered one quite seriously. Both the coupe and the vert. I would bet that with some creative twisting & turning, you could get your bike in the trunk of the coupe with the back seat folded down. On the other hand, I am quite certain you would have seriously difficult if not impossible time getting it into the convertible trunk. . . especially with the top down. With the top up, you MIGHT have a chance, depending on how compact your bike is. Since you are probably selling the Boxster, I am assuming you might miss the open air driving and be leaning toward the 1-vert - no? That means you will have a challenge.

Having said that - BMW does sell accessories - and one of them is a bike rack. I am almost positive you can get that for a 1-series... coupe or convertible. It requires a bit of dealer installation work I think, but from what I've read, it might not be a difficult thing to use or remove from the car. You should definitely check that out.

The last thing on your post is indeed the thought of selling your Porsche. I have a 2009 Boxster, and really enjoy it - quite a lot. But I also enjoyed driving the 135i vert. With the Porsche, I really need two cars - the 2nd being a winter vehicle and a sort of hauler once in a while. However, my wife has a Lexus RX350 which serves as the "big car" if really needed - although she is pretty unhappy about me hauling 2x4's or bags of dirt/mulch in her car. (geez). Anyway - I'm thinking of selling/trading my Boxster on a 135i vert as a DD and just put 4 snows on it in the winter (been there done that with other RWD cars). But I fear I might miss the Boxster if I do that. (tough choices, eh?) So, I'm just curious about your feelings about all that. - And don't forget to check out the BMW bike rack accessory! :thumbup:

Doug

#3 ·
Doug thanks for the response. Probably won't go for the vert although I did enjoy driving it. But, haven't ruled it out as the DD with snows for the winters. As for the Boxster I think you have more of a dilemma. Mine's an '01 so I won't be giving up as much as you would. A 135 would out perform it, a 128 might run even with it. Would be fun to find out though. Part of the reason for a fun DD is I have a 2 car garage and 5 cars when my daughter's home from college. Will it be tough to part with it you bet. But, I'm thinking a nice red BMW may ease the pain a bit. Also, as a trade in nobody's offering me anything on it $10k - $12k. So I may end up keeping it. I'm bringing a 1 or a 3 home and I may see how it fits with the wheel off. My daughter gracioulsy offered me her '08 rabbit to trade. Or my wife has a CRV. What a dilemma huh?

Ther real question is 3 vs 1. The 1 would be closer to the Boxster.

#6 ·
I have a 135i coupe. I easily fit my 56cm Cannondale Supersix in the trunk with the rear seat folded down. I do take off the front wheel. Works great. It was a requirement for the car because I don't like my bike outside because in the summer the bike basically lives in the car during the week (work straight to the nightly group rides).

#8 ·
My 58cm Specialized Tarmac fits with the front wheel taken off. There's enough space left over to fit the wheel at the rear of the trunk without being cramped. It's only a little tighter comparing it the 335i that I had before.

This was a requirement before buying the car. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.