BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Automatic gearbox problems, thruth or myth??

965 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Graham132white 
#1 ·
Greetings all, I'm currently looking at getting a X5 3.0D, my brother-in-law has a 3.0i and I must admit I'm very impressed with it and am now a total convert.

I've seen a lot of bad press on the interweb reference the auto gearbox with some real horror stories, as I'm looking at getting a car with about 120,000 miles on it have I got any real worries or is it all internet hype??

Many thanks

Rog.

#2 ·
Greetings all, I'm currently looking at getting a X5 3.0D, my brother-in-law has a 3.0i and I must admit I'm very impressed with it and am now a total convert.

I've seen a lot of bad press on the interweb reference the auto gearbox with some real horror stories, as I'm looking at getting a car with about 120,000 miles on it have I got any real worries or is it all internet hype??
Unfortunately all you're going to get is anecdotal responses. For example I had a 2000 4.4i with 80K miles and had to replace the transmission valve body. I had a 2001 4.4i which I traded in at 126K without any transmission issues.

My advice to you would be this: If you cannot afford to replace / repair a transmission then you should look into the purchase of a warranty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.