BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

hugh

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  opal 
#1 ·
Hi,
Although I am new to the form and this is my first posting.I have been reading the answers to various problems over the years which have helped me in repairs I have carried out.
I have owned three BMWs ,520d and two x5s. My present vehicle is an x5 e53 2004 plate with 80,000 miles.
I have a question which I hope someone out there can help me with.
Many owners have complained about the harsh ride on the x5 with which I agree with, has anyone converted the suspension (AIR) to the softer SE spec, if so what does it involve?
Also, do you have to release the air pressure on the rear suspension to check the numerous bushes and ball joints.
I would appreciate any advice.

#3 ·
For around £200 you can convert the air suspension to coil springs. There is a set on ebay which comes as a full kit, this will give a smoother ride.

The big rear chassis bushes bolts when released after jacking up from the diff give you a loose rear subframe without pressure off the air suspension. At that point you can see what bushes have failed etc..

I am too thinking about the coil spring conversion...

#4 ·
x5 suspension

Hi Graham,

Thanks for your advice I will investigate the conversion solution, I love the car but the harsh ride is very annoying.

The other problem was not the sub frame bushes but the rear suspension bushes on the rear axle. On Utube there are two videos which suggest that the bushes can not be checked unless the air is released from the air springs. I just wondered if this was fact or fiction.
Thanks again for your advice

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.