BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

545iSMG in Rain Storm

2K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  545ISMG4LIFE 
#1 ·
Hi there guys I am new to the site and every bit of help Can be great.
So I am driving around 11:30 on the highway and its pouring rain, some guy is driving like a jerk so I slow down not to crash into him and there I go into a puddle going arond 50MPH....seconds later the car stalls and I am parked lol....right on the side of the road. I tried to start it again didnt work now a day later after it dried a bit i was able to start it. I drove around for about 40 minutes and then when i shut it down it didnt start again.
any suggestions from anyone here on where I'm at?

#2 ·
Check your trunk area under your spare tire and see if its wet/damp down in there. BMW has had some issues with trunk seals leaking. There is some modules down there and if they get wet they can do exactly what your experiencing.

Front underneath of these cars are pretty well protected. The skid plate basically covers the whole underneath of the engine bay. It have to be a deep puddle you went through, 8"+ deep to really do anything major. So chances are its the trunk.

Through the years a few people have posted about going through car washes and had similar issues to what your having. Call related to the trunk seal leaking.

#7 · (Edited)
There is your problem. Is the car running fine now?? Some people have found after the moisture dries up everything is fine. Some have had major electrical issues because of it.

Take it in to the dealership and see what they can do for you. I'm not sure if there was ever a Service Bulletin released on this issue. If you search around on here or over at 5series.net you may find something about a SIB issued. I know it was a common problem on some 5 series in 04.

#9 ·
the other day after letting the car sit for about a week I drove it and it drove great no problems at all except the message "increased emissions", and then out of nowhere the car just shuts off and the message I see is engine malfunction reduce power and I try to start the car no luck after few minutes it starts again...and stalls again and all over again can someone help me here I am really lost with this car.

#17 ·
My mechanic can't really put his finger on what the problem is...it will start run great and then when it idles it will shut down and only after few moment it will go back on weird....He is suspecting battery or timing somewhere in that ball park. I hope he will call me tommorow with some good news this is getting me worried.

#20 ·
When your dealing with electrical type issues many times your dealership can be your best friend and the quickest solution. Sometimes a lot less also. Indy shops your usually paying the tech to learn the electronics of the car as they do your repair. With how complex these cars are today you run into issues like your having. Days to figure something out that I bet the dealership would've solved in one day. Dealerships usually has seen any problem before and know what to look for and test. They also have access to BMW masterminds(just a phone call away) that can basically solve any problem.

#21 ·
just an update on this issue, finally my mechanic figured it out....the water somehow got into almost every computer in this damn car and did its justice he is now trying to salvage what he can...lol wow what an adventure but we are both trying to see how did water get into this well protectced harness area????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.