BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

successful DSP integration of aftermarket head unit!

121K views 72 replies 23 participants last post by  Dankidwell 
#1 ·
Just giving a bit of hope to those out there contemplating an aftermarket head unit with DSP. I have a 2001 E53 with Stock navigation, and CD changer with the radio in the trunk. I bought an aftermarket metra harness like all the write ups say and hooked in the 5 wires to DSP amp tricking it to stay on. I thought I was hooped and would have to tear out the whole system, but it turns out you don't! Especially because I had ALL the stereo options. Turns out to be a bit easier than most. Seeing as how the radio is in the trunk the dummy harness isn't seen as it's spliced into the DSP amp and the stock radio harness is extended up to the front. My stock navigation screen isn't integral to the system at all. So that's where it's a bit easier and cleaner. Most guys have to relocate the business cd/radio to their glove box, but seeing as how mine was in the trunk already and navigation screen up front is a just a screen and has no bearing on the digital signal it (stock navigation screen) can be removed permanently ( AS LONG AS YOU'VE SET YOUR BASE VOLUMES) Now I have a Eonon head unit that works perfectly, and full sound while retaining steering wheel controls and utilizing the DSP system. I'm finishing up tomorrow so hopefully i can post a video when i'm done. It's much simpler than you think to do. You just can't be afraid of pile of wires. As long as you've got your patient pants on it'll work. Good luck!! woohoo!!! :D

#6 ·
04 x5 with cd dsp, no navi. I'm in the process of figuring out how to replace my business cd/dsp head unit with an Eonon..tech support tells me to check whether I have a 17 pin or 40 connector in the back where the radio is but I can't seem to find anything remotely like it. The only 40 pin connector I find is in the dash at the cd player.

#7 ·
Thanks! Waiting to see the detail. Eonon says this unit is only for E39s (5-Series), but you have an E53 (X5) and made it work. I want to put this into an E38 (with DSP and existing factory nav)....I wonder why it wouldn't work since all these cars are from the same generation?

#9 ·
skptc

That's the plug. In the back of your CD/Business radio. You need to buy a metra harness from ebay for it to be clean. It's about $12 with shipping. In your case you could unplug the cd/business radio and move it to your trunk. (that's where the dsp amp is) From there plug the aftermarket metra harness into your stock cd/business radio and make the appropriate connections. (listed below) After that your eonon unit should plug and play with your factory radio harness that is up front in your dash still. Hope that helps.

Connect pin 16 from the round pin plug - - with the wire from pin 4 on the Big AMP Plug
Connect pin 9 from the round pin plug - - with the wire from pin 8 on the Big Amp Plug
Connect pin 15 from the round pin plug - - with the wire from pin 15 on the Big Amp Plug
Connect pin 5 from the round pin plug - - with pin hole 5 on the DB25 plug
Connect pin 7 from the round pin plug - - with the IBUS wire on the smaller plug on the amp (should be white with yellow spots)

/Users/ryanbatke/Desktop/BMW1.jpg

you

#15 · (Edited)
skptc

That's the plug. In the back of your CD/Business radio. You need to buy a metra harness from ebay for it to be clean. It's about $12 with shipping. In your case you could unplug the cd/business radio and move it to your trunk. (that's where the dsp amp is) From there plug the aftermarket metra harness into your stock cd/business radio and make the appropriate connections. (listed below) After that your eonon unit should plug and play with your factory radio harness that is up front in your dash still. Hope that helps.

Connect pin 16 from the round pin plug - - with the wire from pin 4 on the Big AMP Plug
Connect pin 9 from the round pin plug - - with the wire from pin 8 on the Big Amp Plug
Connect pin 15 from the round pin plug - - with the wire from pin 15 on the Big Amp Plug
Connect pin 7 from the round pin plug - - with the IBUS wire on the smaller plug on the amp (should be white with yellow spots)
Thanks ryan04 for your sharing. And still waiting for your own video. :)

#10 ·
Awesome... just to be sure I got it.

1. Eonon plugs right into the 40 pin connector that now goes to factory radio/cd in dash

2.MID remains connected as is but relocated to glove box.

3. Factory radio/cd moves to trunk rewired per your post

4. Factory radio cage gets sawed off to make room for eonon unit.

Do I have it?

#14 · (Edited)
i have the 17pin connector. So i bought this one to plug into the radio.
I think you need the reverse harness. You need to be able to plug into the stock radio with the aftermarket harness (middle) then only wire in the 5 connections. Then the stock radio harness which is identical to the aftermarket one you plugged into the radio, plugs directly into your eonon unit. So you have 2 of the same harnesses in use. The 17pin is the left, the 40 pin is the middle and then the wiring diagram of course on the right.

Attachments

#17 ·
Well,.have a replacement MID.and reverse harness ordered on eBay. Hoping to have both in time to finish this weekend. We'll keep everyone posted, take pics along the way and hopefully be able to call on everyone specially ryan on the wiring...

PS, not holding my breath on any useful input from eonon...those guys owe everyone on this board a huge commission for troubleshooting their untested product. Even the low price doesn't in my opinion make up for their misleading advertising and total failure to even try to install on one of the vehicles they claim their product to be a diy...

#20 ·
So these are the wires i conected.

This is the wiring for the 17 pin, so i'll try and find the 40 pin wiring diagram for your radio so you can locate these wires to connect to.

Attachments

#58 ·
Reversed amp 15-pin diagram?

So these are the wires i conected.

This is the wiring for the 17 pin, so i'll try and find the 40 pin wiring diagram for your radio so you can locate these wires to connect to.
Is the diagram for the amp 15-pin backwards? I found this diagram that is reversed.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...lp-finding-audio-wiring-info.html#post5006602

#24 ·
Thanks I'll give it a try. Here's an update.

Got a replacement MID, connected red ilumn wire to orange wire in EONON harness and unit turned on, was able to access functions although still no sound as I still need to move factory radio to the back.

However my excitement was short lived as, with the unit still on I moved the harness slightly and the unit shut off. Wiggling make out come on again but that was short lived as the slightest touch to the harness wires made it shut off.

I'm thinking defective harness dune the built in fuse is good. Have contacted EONON through eBay for a replacement harness but have not heard back. This should be interesting, I'll keep everyone posted

#25 · (Edited)
Ryan4

Here's what I get out of the wiring diagrams and your connection list..,

Connect pin 16 from the round pin plug - - with the wire from pin 4 on the Big AMP Plug..... labeled as "Auto Ant" in the 17 pin diagram, closest match in 40 pin diagram would be pin 13 "ant out"???
Connect pin 9 from the round pin plug - - with the wire from pin 8 on the Big Amp Plug.... labeled as "back up" in the 17 pin diagram, no match found in 40 pin diagram
Connect pin 15 from the round pin plug - - with the wire from pin 15 on the Big Amp Plug.... labeled as "gnd" in the 17 pin diagram, matches pin 12 in 40 pin diagram
Connect pin 5 from the round pin plug - - with pin hole 5 on the DB25 plug.... labeled as "acc" n 47 pin connector. Matches pin 16 in 40 pin connector labeled "12v acc"
Connect pin 7 from the round pin plug - - with the IBUS wire on the smaller plug on the amp (should be white with yellow spots).... labeled as "DAC" in 17 pin connector, possible match to 40 pin connector pin 15, labeled "12v dir".

Any thoughts

#26 ·
Try starting with ground, power, antenna, ibus. If no sound than i'll have to find a 12V switched somewhere for you. Then you'll be good to go. But i really think this should do it.

DSP pin#4 TO flat pin#13 (antenna) (ON AFTERMARKET METRA HARNESS)
DSP pin#8 TO flat pin#15 (12V battery) (ON AFTERMARKET METRA HARNESS)
DSP pin#15 TO flat pin#12 (ground) (ON AFTERMARKET METRA HARNESS)

DSP pin#5 TO flat pin#9 (i-bus) (ON AFTERMARKET METRA HARNESS)
THE IBUS WIRE IS WHITE WITH YELLOW SPOTS. ITS ALSO AVAILABLE ON THE SMALLER BLACK FAKRA CONNECTOR.

Hook those 4 up to the aftermarket metra harness and plug it in to your business radio. Then plug the eonon adapter to your factory business radio and plug it into your eonon unit and check for sound.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.