BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2007-2010 X3 Automatic Transmission Problem Master Thread!

792K views 2K replies 282 participants last post by  hoppydidit 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm making this a sticky and merging all new AT threads from the main page into this one (I can not move older threads into this one because it will insert the previous messages above/before this post).

Thanks to AzNMpower32 for this summary:

The problem: A portion of 2007-08 X3s built between 9/2006 and 11/2007 my have possible faulty transmission software programming. This affects X3s equipped with the 6-speed automatic gearbox. The gearbox may fail to respond to throttle inputs, fail to engage a lower gear, or downshift very roughly in normal Drive mode. The problem is not exhibited in manual mode. Cold temperatures may or may not make the shifting quality worse.

The BMW fix There is a software update, this is the latest release as of 10/07

This Service Information bulletin supersedes SI B24 08 07 dated May 2007.

SUBJECT
GM6 - Various Transmission and Driveability Complaints MODEL
E83 (X3) with 6L45R (GM6) automatic transmission produced from 8/2006 up to 10/2007

SITUATION
The customer may complain of transmission shift quality or driveability issues, as described in the situations below:

1. There is a delay in throttle response through the 1-2 upshift when accelerating from a stop.
2. There is a lack of power or hesitation when reapplying throttle, during either a 4-3 or 3-2 tip-in downshift. This may occur after slowing with a closed throttle.
3. Harsh downshifts when slowing on a roadway with a rising gradient (EGS is in a hill program).

CAUSES
EGS software calibration DME software calibration

CORRECTION
In the event of a customer complaint, reprogram the EGS using only Progman V27.02.00 or higher. The latest X3 EGS software may be identified as: 0489RZ0RS450 R0FN10 using the following diagnosis path:

Control-module functions / EGS transmission control Diagnosis requests / Status, data reference

It is important that the DME is also at the latest software level. Refer to SI B12 17 07 for more information concerning the DME software identification and improvements.

DO NOT perform the transmission adaptation under Service Functions, as prompted on the Progman screen. This test module is not functional and will be removed in a future DIS DVD release.

Always refer to SI B 24 11 07 for more information regarding GM6 transmission terminology, adaptation functionality, and adaptation procedures. Important notes:

* The transmission must be in the "Park" position, otherwise the programming may abort with the following error:

EGS ***8211;Diagnostic trouble 2089 (COAPI) - Programming mode changeover faulty

* Only use an approved BMW battery charger set to PS (Power Supply) mode and properly configured for the applicable battery AH rating.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Please refer to the latest KSD for all applicable labor operations and allowances. If the appropriate labor operation is not contained in KSD, then a work time labor operation should be used.

Defect Code 24 00 38 61 00
Please post all future complaints and/or attempted resolutions on this thread! Thank you.

#1,427 ·
If I understand of your transmission correctly, it sounds similar to my problem. This was corrected in the major reprograming. Of course it took 2 days to reprogram the car and they could not reproduce it the first time I complained about it (or the second). I don't think they rush to do the complete reinstall because it would shut down their shop.

The shifting drove me crazy because when I leave my neighborhood I go down a small hill. Turn right and I keep going downhill. The car floated like it was in neutral. There was no load on the transmission but it didn't downshift. Turn left and I went uphill.The transmission would hard downshift. - jerky. The transmission did it wrong both ways. There was also a long uphill coming back into the neighborhood. It would hold a higher gear too long then shift hard to a lower gear - count 3 and it shifted lower. Jerky, jerky. Now it climbs in a gear where it has reasonable power and then shifts perfectly (once) going up the hill.

#1,428 · (Edited)
Mine has the original programming. No updates -- believe me I checked as recently as a few months back.

Oddly enough:

- Mine used to do the hard downshifting when coasting to a stop. I have not noticed that for several months now. It could just be that I am used to the strangeness of this car and I no longer notice these things.

:)

- OTOH it is still jerking when going up a hill at low speed. Under light acceleration going uphill it stays in the lower gears and sounds strained. It sounds and feels as if it is stuck. Once in a great while the lower gears will 'stick' even when I am at the top of the hill and going on the flats. That problem was supposed to have been taken care of by the last s/w release but since I have the last s/w release that is not true in some instances.

- It frequently sounds confused about what gear it wants to be in. It is best when accelerating hard or when coasting down hill where it will brake itself smoothly.

I have driven other BMWs in the same manner over the same roads and they do not exhibit this behavior.

#1,429 ·
Mine has the original programming. No updates -- believe me I checked as recently as a few months back.

- It frequently sounds confused about what gear it wants to be in. It is best when accelerating hard or when coasting down hill where it will brake itself smoothly.
Despite my repeated requests and their checking on it, no updates showed up. Mine was a complete reinstall

I always complained that the transmission seemed lost not knowing which gear it was in. It wasn't until I complained of hard jerking problems did I get their attention. I never got used to it and swore I'd never own a BMW again, but I'm all smiles now.

#1,432 ·
1. it's fixed.
2. it's not.

3. depends on who you ask.

#1,433 ·
Well, the net is that I went for a much longer test drive today in a CPO 07 X3 that I was looking at. Try as hard as I could, I couldn't get the AT to misbehave in this X3 (call it unit 1). This was one of 2 CPO X3's that I was looking at. The other one (unit 2) that I looked at had a history of complaints, had the software update, and still had issues. Unit 1 had no compliants on its rap sheet and was pretty much just like the other steptronic I had in a 99 740is. So in my unscientific sample of 2, one was good and the other was bad, Go figure.

#1,434 ·
Seems to be about a one in ten death rate. You have done the correct methodology in eliminating a bad one.

The only thing I can say is to take it down to 20 mph and make a sharp right turn up a hill. Akin to pulling into a gas station on a hill. If it hesitates and jerks there is a problem. Other than that sounds like you have done your homework.

This is my second X3 and that is after having one of the most problematic ones out there. Meaning its that good when its good.

#1,436 · (Edited)
Tranny Reset

I bought a 2007 x3 3.0si autotranny back in June of this year. I've loved it and haven't had terrible tranny problems. My tranny's issues have been more subtle. Basically, with the SUV in "D" mode, acceleration wasn't what I would expect from a 260hp vehicle. I'd call it sub-peppy... Or more technically, the shifts were happening, low in the torque band (as if, to get top gas mileage). However, shifting into "SD" mode and that baby takes off(!). Shifts would then take place much closer to peak torque @ higher rpms. Yet, in "SD" mode the down shifts would be a bit harsh, and up-shifts get delayed somewhat, especially coming out of a corner.

Then I found the tranny reset procedure: :)

1. Place key in ignition.
2. Turn key to it's first position (the instrument cluster will light up...)
3. Press accelerator all the way down to the floor and hold it there for a minimum of 30 seconds.
4. By roughly ~25 - to - ~30 seconds you should here a faint sound (somewhat like a "click"). That appearently is the tranny shift map resetting.
5. Take foot off accelerator turn key to off and remove it.

After doing this I then put my key back in the ignition and went for a drive. For that first drive, I noticed my tire pressure indicator was flashing and then stayed on. On follow up drives the indicator has gone back to normal operation.

There is a noticeable difference in the tranny's shift pattern. In "D" mode the shifts feel more natural now, closer to the engine's torque sweet spot, per gear. I haven't needed to shift to "SD" mode as the tranny seems to downshift more readily now.

It will be interesting to see how the tranny behaves over time. From what I've read, this procedure seems to tell the engine/tranny to relearn my driving habits for about 1000 miles.

So far, so good.

#1,450 ·
I bought a 2007 x3 3.0si autotranny back in June of this year. I've loved it and haven't had terrible tranny problems. My tranny's issues have been more subtle. Basically, with the SUV in "D" mode, acceleration wasn't what I would expect from a 260hp vehicle. I'd call it sub-peppy... Or more technically, the shifts were happening, low in the torque band (as if, to get top gas mileage). However, shifting into "SD" mode and that baby takes off(!). Shifts would then take place much closer to peak torque @ higher rpms. Yet, in "SD" mode the down shifts would be a bit harsh, and up-shifts get delayed somewhat, especially coming out of a corner.

Then I found the tranny reset procedure: :)

1. Place key in ignition.
2. Turn key to it's first position (the instrument cluster will light up...)
3. Press accelerator all the way down to the floor and hold it there for a minimum of 30 seconds.
4. By roughly ~25 - to - ~30 seconds you should here a faint sound (somewhat like a "click"). That appearently is the tranny shift map resetting.
5. Take foot off accelerator turn key to off and remove it.

After doing this I then put my key back in the ignition and went for a drive. For that first drive, I noticed my tire pressure indicator was flashing and then stayed on. On follow up drives the indicator has gone back to normal operation.

There is a noticeable difference in the tranny's shift pattern. In "D" mode the shifts feel more natural now, closer to the engine's torque sweet spot, per gear. I haven't needed to shift to "SD" mode as the tranny seems to downshift more readily now.

It will be interesting to see how the tranny behaves over time. From what I've read, this procedure seems to tell the engine/tranny to relearn my driving habits for about 1000 miles.

So far, so good.
All, have the same problems with 2007 X3 everyone has mentioned, and just now read about
the transmission reset procedure. I was a little leery of this, but decided to try it. Just went
to the parking lot, did the procedure and then drove around. Maybe it was my imagination or
the fact that I wanted it to work, but darn, if the car didn't seem to drive smoother. Will try
some more after work, especially getting on the 405 fwy at rush hour. Wish me luck. Will
keep everyone updated.

#1,437 · (Edited)
Quick Followup...

It seems like a different SUV driving into work this morning.
Very nice.

Quick Followup #2....

I found myself going out of my way to find stop & go traffic, so that I could enjoy the super smooth tranny shifts I'm getting now.
Also, getting on the highway & cruising.... much more fun.
It kinda feels like I traded in my x3, for a better x3... wow. :)

#1,439 ·
Then that isn't really fixing the problem. Only stalling it. Sorry, but I don't think the BMW is ever going to come clean on this.

Fortunately, no one has been killed as a result. And until something dramatic like that occurs they will continue to sweep it under the rug.

#1,440 ·
I'm about 680 miles since the tranny reset. I'll check in once I've crossed that 1000 mile mark to tell how my x3 is behaving once it's out of "learn" mode. But it was been goood so far.

#1,441 ·
Learn mode? The car is supposed to be making constant adjustments based on current driving. That is according to the user manual -- grain of salt or not.

I think the learning mode is a myth and the only one learning is the driver adapting to the car. Does anyone have any documentation on this?

#1,442 ·
Learn mode? The car is supposed to be making constant adjustments based on current driving. That is according to the user manual -- grain of salt or not.

I think the learning mode is a myth and the only one learning is the driver adapting to the car. Does anyone have any documentation on this?
When you have the tranny program reset, it goes back to a basic set of information. As you drive, the program will alter (within limits) to your driving habits. After you drive for a while, assuming you are like most people and get into a routine, the programs changes will no longer occur. Your tranny software has "learned" your driving habits.

Now if you are mellow one day and flooring it the next, who knows how it would take the reprogram. :dunno:

#1,446 ·
Just got the 60k service done on my X3 yesterday. It idles significantly quieter now (and it wasn't bad before).

Secondly, the transmission is also significantly smoother in gear shifts. The only thing I can of affecting this is the change in the transfer case fluids. I had changed the engine air filter 4,000 miles prior.

#1,448 ·
Harumph.

Temperature drops the jerkiness returns. I have not felt the hard downshift while coasting to a drop in quite some time. Temps have dropped around 30 degrees and I felt that yesterday along with the hunt and peck gear shifts when accelerating gently at low speeds. I would love to floor it when pulling out of the drive but I suspect I would hit someone.

#1,449 ·
Didn't you know?

There is an alarm at 37 degress to war you for that :rofl:

It always behaves worst at low temps.

Curious to see if that tracks in warm to cold climates...

for instance those in AZ as opposed to NH

#1,453 ·
All, is anyone aware of any new solutions to the 2007 X3 transmission problems that are so well documented here in this discussion? Any new SIBs? Taking the car in next Friday. Thanks in advance.
So the reset did not work? Looks like you probably need updated software.

#1,458 ·
Just an update. Since the complete software reinstall in July 2010 the shifting problems have been completely resolved. My wife always hatred when I constantly complained about the transmission shifting, she is now tired of me telling her how much I love it (ok, not as much as a manual but that was not an option for me)

#1,462 · (Edited)
Stereo Install Pix Repost

Was supposed to be a new thread

Attachments

#1,463 ·
I have the same problem with 2006 X3!

Hi,

I have a 2006 BMW X3. Recently, I started noticing the exact problem described in this thread. My vehicle would rev up unnecessarily without shifting to lower gears even on a level road with no traffic. When I turn to manual, things seem to be OK.

I took it to the dealer and they told me that my transmission needs a EGS software update. There is no part fee involved but they are asking me for $363 as labor fee just to update the software!!

I think this is ridiculous.. It seems it is not covered under the warranty.

I see that the problem described in this thread is only for 2007 models and after.. but strangely the description of the problem exactly suits my case too...

Can anyone please suggest what I should do?

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Bananaauto

#1,464 ·
completely different transmission in the 06 so it can't be the same problem. try the reset procedure before you take it in..

turn the key to position II
hold the gas pedal down for about 35 seconds
turn car off
turn car on and start and drive it and see if it's any better.

good luck

#1,465 ·
Thank you kjboyd.. I think you just saved me $363! I did what you suggested and I definitely see an improvement. The gears seem to be shifting alright now (as I see with the RPM lowering as it shifts to higher gears) but it still feels like there is something missing..

I'll watch closely for a couple of more days and see what happens..

By the way, what are the signs of a bad transmission? When should I start getting concerned?

Thank you very much for your help!

Best Regards,
Bananaauto

#1,466 ·
Worse in the cold and now developing a hard thunk at low speeds.

Now it is starting to get 'stuck' at 3K RPMs. This problem was supposed to be taken care of pre 2009 but it still occurs from time to time.

It just sounds strained.

This can't be good. Any reports of actual transmission failure?

#1,467 ·
Will you please get a lawyer and handle this? If a lawyer won't handle this it tells volumes.

There is saying in our family that you can grip all you want once you have exhausted all possibilties.

Have You?

#1,470 ·
Class Action Lawsuit???

Ok, I am new to this thread but just spent the past two days reading through all the posts. I too, bought a 2007 X3 CPO in Sept 2009 (only had 10K miles) that has had all of the same transmission problems. I didn't realize how widespread it really is. I had the software updates (will make sure they were the latest ones) and still have the problems. I have also had MANY other problems since purchasing this car and it has been in the shop more than I have had it. Since I did not buy my car new and it has been over a year, I don't think the lemon law will apply right? I will note that I previously leased a BMW 328xi with zero problems and loved the car. This X3 has taken years off my life!

I am most concerned as to why a class action lawsuit has not been started against BMWNA for this transmission issue???? With as many unhappy X3 owners, I am sure there would be enough people to make a difference. How does this get started and I would love to be involved. There is too much documentation and proof that there is a major problem. A class action lawsuit would be a very much needed solution since BMW is obviously not willing to work with their customers.

Any thought/ideas would be appreciated! Thanks!

#1,472 ·
Ok, I am new to this thread but just spent the past two days reading through all the posts. I too, bought a 2007 X3 CPO in Sept 2009 (only had 10K miles) that has had all of the same transmission problems. I didn't realize how widespread it really is. I had the software updates (will make sure they were the latest ones) and still have the problems. I have also had MANY other problems since purchasing this car and it has been in the shop more than I have had it. Since I did not buy my car new and it has been over a year, I don't think the lemon law will apply right? I will note that I previously leased a BMW 328xi with zero problems and loved the car. This X3 has taken years off my life!

I am most concerned as to why a class action lawsuit has not been started against BMWNA for this transmission issue???? With as many unhappy X3 owners, I am sure there would be enough people to make a difference. How does this get started and I would love to be involved. There is too much documentation and proof that there is a major problem. A class action lawsuit would be a very much needed solution since BMW is obviously not willing to work with their customers.

Any thought/ideas would be appreciated! Thanks!
I assume you are in Mass:

http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=ocaterm...content&f=used_vehicle_warranty_law&csid=Eoca

#1,479 ·
2007 X3 Transmission Failure

Hi new member,
Got ready for work this morning and got in my 2007 X3 and drove off, two blocks down my transmission suck in first gear and would not change. I tried switching to manual with no change and my yellow warnng lamp is on. Pulled over and turned off the motor 3x to try to clear failure and it worked. I will be calling the deal ASAP. I found much info about this problem and thats why I joined this forum..........
Thanks to all of you for your info!!!! :mad

#1,481 ·
Hi new member,
Got ready for work this morning and got in my 2007 X3 and drove off, two blocks down my transmission suck in first gear and would not change. I tried switching to manual with no change and my yellow warnng lamp is on. Pulled over and turned off the motor 3x to try to clear failure and it worked. I will be calling the deal ASAP. I found much info about this problem and thats why I joined this forum..........
Thanks to all of you for your info!!!! :mad
That's normal.....just kidding!

Probably a different issue though. Let us know what dealer says.

#1,488 ·
I don't know what that means.

The latest transmission s/w was supposed to take care of the 'sticking' when, after climbing a hill, it wouldn't upshift on the flat. Sometimes it still does that.

I have also noticed twice this month that when stopped in D, when I take my foot off the brake it rolls slightly backward. I do not remember it doing this before and this was on a flat street. Besides, it is supposed to have hill hold anyway.

:dunno:

#1,485 ·
Most Updated Software Codes?

I had an outside certified BMW mechanic inspect my car and run a diagnostic test as well as check the software codes. He stated the the most up to date DME was MS_V801 and the EGS was GM1912. Not sure what those codes mean but I didn't see them listed anywhere on this thread so I was wondering if anyone knew if those were correct or not?

Also, has anyone used an outside mechanics fault code report and brought it to BMW directly to get things fixed? I know that this is the same fault code report that BMW would see right? I have an appointment at BMW tomorrow. Thanks!

#1,486 ·
I had an outside certified BMW mechanic inspect my car and run a diagnostic test as well as check the software codes. He stated the the most up to date DME was MS_V801 and the EGS was GM1912. Not sure what those codes mean but I didn't see them listed anywhere on this thread so I was wondering if anyone knew if those were correct or not?

Also, has anyone used an outside mechanics fault code report and brought it to BMW directly to get things fixed? I know that this is the same fault code report that BMW would see right? I have an appointment at BMW tomorrow. Thanks!
I used an ASE BMW certified mechanics report as corroborating evidence of the problem.

#1,489 ·
Well, I brought my car into BMW today for the transmission problems again today. I had the mechanic take a ride with me so I could try to duplicate the problems. When discussing my X3 and all the problems its had, he told me that he felt that all the X3's (up until the 2011 model) were pieces of junk and by far the worst car BMW has ever made. He said his pickup truck drives more smoothly than the X3.

And BMW has become such a nightmare to deal with from the customer level all the way to the mechanic level. BMW is now holding mechanics accountable for their decisions to repair things. If they do not get approval from BMWNA and fix a problem, BMW will dock the mechanics pay! That is outrageous! What is wrong with this company? They are going to lose all of their customers if they continue to build inferior cars and treat their customers this way!

I'm still waiting on the outcome of my car repairs...

#1,490 ·
Well, I brought my car into BMW today for the transmission problems again today. I had the mechanic take a ride with me so I could try to duplicate the problems. When discussing my X3 and all the problems its had, he told me that he felt that all the X3's (up until the 2011 model) were pieces of junk and by far the worst car BMW has ever made. He said his pickup truck drives more smoothly than the X3.

And BMW has become such a nightmare to deal with from the customer level all the way to the mechanic level. BMW is now holding mechanics accountable for their decisions to repair things. If they do not get approval from BMWNA and fix a problem, BMW will dock the mechanics pay! That is outrageous! What is wrong with this company? They are going to lose all of their customers if they continue to build inferior cars and treat their customers this way!

I'm still waiting on the outcome of my car repairs...
Like I, half jokingly, told someone on another thread..***** a Prius. Only half jokingly. Did you see the thread on the new CR data putting BMW at the bottom?

Thanks BMW for a car that bounces along the street and lurches and knocks with 5,000 miles on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.