BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

SMG Slippage

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Mer'06 
#1 ·
I just bought an 07 M6 w/SMG. I test drove 4 and all were manual transmission except the one I bought. The guy I bought it from told me this was normal but I can't seem to find any mention of it ANYWHERE. Here's the issue: When sitting at a complete stop I can quickly tap the accelerator pedal and it will rev to about 1k, almost like it's in neutral. Is this normal?

#2 ·
My understanding is the SMG transmissions do not feel like automatics - i.e. no "pull" when you ease off the brakes. once you start to move does it feel like it's slipping? I've only driven an E46 M3 SMG once.

#3 ·
Yes, that is exactly what I mean. There is no other slippage in any other gears even under hard acceleration. The only other thing I'm not sure about is the lag time between shifts during "normal" driving, you actually seem to lurch forward(like a first time user of a manual transmission is driving) when you are waiting for the next gear...

#8 ·
This is normal due to the fact that the smg is a manual transmission. As you apply throttle from a standstill you should feel the clutch engage as the car starts to move. The lag you feel during a shift is the clutch disengaging while the trans is shifting into the next gear then the clutch re-engages. Set your shift speed at its fastest setting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.