BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

m30 AFM with 19lb inj.

16K views 77 replies 18 participants last post by  kamotors 
#1 ·
wow, i just installed my m30 AFM (027) with 19lb injectors, and my car feels like it has soooooo much more power. It pulls way harder up hill, i did a 0-58mph on flat ground in 6.5sec(i saw a cop so i just stopped the accelerometer at 58mph).

I've only got one problem and that's if i cruise with no throttle for more than a minute the check engine light comes on, and then as soon as i touch the pedal the light goes out. the AFM was adjusted by the previous owner 2 clicks looser.:dunno:

#45 ·
Gah. My 19lb injecktorz have been installed since my motor has been stroked. I have an m30 afm but I need to fix the dial thingy so it'll be compatible for an e30. And yes, it ends in 027. I can't wait to see the difference. I also might get a mark d chip as well. Kam, how much for just a shield? Seeing how I'd be using a cone filter, a heat shield would be nice.

#46 ·
If it ends with 027 don't mess with the dial until you install it and see how the car runs, Tuning it may give a little better bottom end power, but your car will throw CEL at just about every stop light and you won't pass smog. I had mine "tuned" for about 1000miles and the idle was poor but bottom end power seemed good so I didn't mind but unless you are getting A lot more air Like F/I I would leave the M30 insides untouched. its not worth the poor running car,hard warm starts, and bad gas mileage. If you get a 19lb chip to go along with the injectors the car will run much better with the stock m30 AFM settings.

right now I'm running M30 AFM in the stock setting, 19lb injectors, Mark D 19lb injector chip for 91 octane, and the car is running smoother than ever, starts super easy, and has way better throttle response. The M30 AFM that ends in 027 has the same internals as the M20 AFM thats why the 027 AFM is plug and play.

Also I just have the CF shielded filter right now, sorry.

#54 ·
True true. Okay so I'm tempted to throw on the m30 afm tomorrow after school and see how it runs and whatnot. Would it be safe to run around the block to see how it drives without a cone filter? I know it protects all the debris from coming in, but it's only around the block?
I wouldn't run with out a filter, just go get a universal 3" cone they are around $20 from poopboys or kragen. when you swap in the M30 AFM the car should still run pretty smooth and the ECU will adjust to make it feel as smooth as stock, its the injectors that take a while to smooth out.

#55 ·
I wouldn't run with out a filter, just go get a universal 3" cone they are around $20 from poopboys or kragen. when you swap in the M30 AFM the car should still run pretty smooth and the ECU will adjust to make it feel as smooth as stock, its the injectors that take a while to smooth out.
Looks like I need another $12. Lol. Also, this came to mind..since I am bringing in so much air..and I still have the stock 'e' exhaust system..would any issues arise? Like choking the motor or something? I might run straight piped with glasspacks..then magnaflow at the rear. Or just a stock 'i' exhaust since it's dual piped..and 'e' is only single ftl.

#77 ·
okay, my car was having some power issues(like taking 10 seconds to get to 60mph) and this started after the ECU re-learned after getting the headers installed. turns out somehow headers made the car run leaner overall, so I had to loosen the M30 AFM one click, and now its amazing!!!! the car is not running rich at all or throwing CELs.

So for everyone out their with an M30 AFM, if your car has other significant upgrades that change the way the car behaves I highly suggest tuning the AFM. my 0-60's are back into the 7 second range.

#78 · (Edited)
well I'm 90% sure my AFM went bad because whenI floor it the AFM door makes a big loud clank so I stepped up and bought the Miller MAF, after I sell my Mark D chip and replace it with the miller kit, the total cost would only be about $130 which is pretty good for a plug and play kit the gets rid of the AFM.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.