BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Tire Life Expectancy

8K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Marlbro 
#1 ·
I am wondering about the life expectancy of RFTs on a staggered setup. Since I can’t rotate them, what kind of tread am I going to have left at the end of a 36k 3 year lease? Here is why I am asking… I am in Ohio and currently have performance tires. If the odds are good that I will have to replace the tires at the end of the lease, I am going to go ahead and buy a second set of tires that I can swap in for the winter. Better to buy the tires now when I can get some use out of them, rather than buying new tires for BMW at the end of my lease!

Thanks for your feedback.

#2 ·
I am wondering about the life expectancy of RFTs on a staggered setup. Since I can't rotate them, what kind of tread am I going to have left at the end of a 36k 3 year lease? Here is why I am asking… I am in Ohio and currently have performance tires. If the odds are good that I will have to replace the tires at the end of the lease, I am going to go ahead and buy a second set of tires that I can swap in for the winter. Better to buy the tires now when I can get some use out of them, rather than buying new tires for BMW at the end of my lease!

Thanks for your feedback.
I've read that 18-20k miles seems to be about the norm for the stock run-flat 20's. I'm planning to do the same thing - buy a set of winters and hope that buys me enough tread-life so I don't have to replace the summer tires when I turn-in the car at lease-end.

#3 ·
Better yet, run the OE tires for a bit, say 10-15k, but with legal 'lease end turn in OK' treadt- then get whatever high performance tire you want...drive that to the end of the lease, the mount the original OEs back on the car for turn in. This way you don't need to worry about having "BMW approved" tires for most of the life.

A

#4 ·
If you have the Dunlop 20" than expect 15 to 18 thousand miles. By 15k they will be super noisy anyways. Remember that when you turn it in you will need to 4 thousanths of tread left which means you can only run about 15k max on the dunlops.

#5 ·
My Fronts are almost down to the tread wear indicators now, at 15,000 kms (10,000)
I'm hoping they will last another month or so before I replace them with non RFTs and 4 season tires.
According to some guys on here that have done that, it will handle just as good, and be able to handle the snow.

remember.....
None RFTs are cheaper than RFTs, and definately cheaper than what BMW will require you to have on the car, when you hand it back.
Also they get their tires real cheap. So swapping out early, and saving the originals, is probably a good idea.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.