BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

I lost my BMW car key!! help!!

9K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  u.nanimous 
#1 ·
somehow I managed to lose my car key..

I found few ways to get a new key besides from the dealer.

Can anyone help exactly to duplicate the key??? I have one spare key now.

If I buy remote key from the online, Do I just go to locksmith or dealer to program it just like my spare key??

#2 ·
Wasn't this answered in the similar 5/5 thread you posted on the E9X forum?

As no one has reported a successful cheap method of obtaining a duplicate fob for a modern BMW, anything bought on line will be a waste of time & money. It seems to me you need to visit your dealer & pay the $.

Tom

#5 ·
As no one has reported a successful cheap method of obtaining a duplicate fob for a modern BMW, anything bought on line will be a waste of time & money.
Cheap? Maybe not, but fob programming has been cracked. There are many videos on youtube demonstrating key programming.

#4 ·
There is no easy to say this but you will need to buy a new key. Trying an alternate route i.e. buying off ebay and going to a locksmith will just waste you time and money. Each BMW key has something called an EWS , which corresponds to the electronic code in the bmw. So even if you were to buy a duplicate key from anywhere other than the dealer and managed to get it cut exactly like the previous one or the spare key as mentioned , the best you could do is open the trunk or glove box. Without an initialized key, you cannot start the car because the fuel injectors, spark plug sequence, and ignition are blocked as a safety feature. Yes going to the dealer is pricey, but at least you'll have the 'real deal'. In addition, you will have to show your driver's / car registration, provide the VIN number, and show identification ( Im probably missing a thing or two ) before the order is placed for the key. Usually the key will come from jersey withing a couple days. Hope this helped :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.