BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Wheel/Tire Inurance...what have we all paid in the recent 6 months...

2K views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  andrejak 
#1 ·
Hey guys put a deposit down for a 12 535xi w/ m package...i live in long island and often hang out in the city...my questions is do i buy the wheel and tire insurance??

dealer wants 2200$!!!! for it, i paid 800 for it on my last 535xi, granted that was 3 years ago when insurance companies didn't know whats up with NY roads...

but to spend $2200, I'm cringing...what have you guys paid??? or can i buy outside bmw 3rd party?

thanks!

#6 · (Edited)
Perhaps opening a whole new can of worms but is this generally a good thing to buy?

I ask because I never buy it but it seems like it's fairly common for people to buy this.

I've never had a problem with tires or wheels where I felt that it would have been great to have this insurance. With my last BMW lease (2006-2009 BMW 750Li), I did not get it and I did get 1 flat tire that I had to replace at Costco for around $450. When I returned the car, they did not charge me for tire or wheel damage. I had a decent amount of tread left but at least according to the guy that I returned it to at the dealership, he said that he didn't care as long as the car had tires on it when I returned it. He said "go ahead and return it bare with the threads seeping through for all we care"...but maybe he was wrong.

For wheels, I had some regular wear and tear scratches and stuff like that from curb rash but nothing major.

I did not get it for my current BMW 128i lease either. I am returning the car next January so we'll see if I get charged something.

I leased another car this year and did not opt to get the insurance but the finance guy really gave a hard sell and essentially called me an idiot (without saying it in so many words) for declining it over and over again and he would ask. I don't even remember how much he was charging but I think it was in the $1500 or so range. He kept saying that replacing 2 tires would make it break even and replacing 3 or more tires would have me come out ahead...but I'm guessing that's BMW dealership tire prices + install, not Costco prices.

#7 · (Edited)
$595 for 36 months of coverage not through BMW. Have had the car for 4 months and 3k miles and no problems yet with tires or wheels.

#9 · (Edited)
Signed our finance docs in May 2011 and got 5 years for $950.

#11 ·
You'll get the same problem with tires from Lexus.

In fact, with my SC430 I had FIVE tires replaced in 16 months.

And with these high performance run-flats that is a TON of money.

I didn't get the insurance with my previous 550i and X6 and had no tire problems ... except for scratching the wheels on curbs. I used a local body shop to spiff up the wheels at far les cost than what the dealer would have charged.

Before I got my new 550i and 335i, though, I had read enough long-term reviews in the auto mags to learn that low-profile run-flats on bimmers can cause plenty of headaches. And it's not just the tires going flat ... it's also the wheels getting cracked or warped.

Because there are all sorts of horrible potholes and dips and such in LA, and the fact that I was getting 19" wheels on both cars and they are such low profile run-flats that I went with the wheel and tire insurance.

The dealer did not give me a hard sell at all. In fact, the opposite. He said because bimmers have had so many wheel and tire problems that BMW is going to end the insurance program in the near future. Maybe this was his selling ploy. But given the evidence and stories I have read out there, I can believe that BMW is losing money with this program. These tires cost 450-500 bucks a pop and the wheels more.

Also, I put the insurance into the overall financing so it gets amortized.

If you've ever run over a deep pot hole with one of these low profile run-flats you know how scary it can be ... it can flatten the tire and crack the wheel.

Maybe I didn't need to pay for this insurance, but I like the piece of mind that wherever I am, if I have a problem, I call BMW assist, they tow to nearest dealership and replace tire and/or wheel for no charge at all.

#14 ·
$990/5 years thru BMW dealer in Maryland. Coverage is thru Safe-Guard. Supposedly covers any tire or wheel mounted on the car, not just factory wheels/tires. Same dealer service department gave me some pushback, however, when I brought slow leak on winter tire in for service.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.