BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

BMW M550d xDrive

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  hellosopo 
#1 ·
Can someone please explain to me why Germany can get the F10 BMW M550d xDrive which happens to be a TRIPLE turbo charged six cylinder that puts out over 350 horses and over 600 ft. lbs of torque all while getting 44.8 MPG highway. Why in the hell can our diesel version only get 36mpg with half the performance. Is it EPA? California emissions? Why?

#2 ·
Because Europe has different regulations on what is allowed then the US. The emissions controls are a lot more stringent and their isn't much interest in diesels from NA companies like their is in Europe.

#5 ·
This ^^^^

1 US gallon = 0.832673818 Imperial gallons

44.8 miles per imperial gallon = 37.30379 miles per US gallon as a straight conversion if all other things are identical (which I doubt they are from the EU to US versions of the car).

#4 ·
As your emissions regulations go up - your mileage goes down.

Although Euro 6 may actually surpass the '10 EPA on-highway USA emissions regulations. I think the M 550D looks like a tremendous car, but I would not want to own it out of warranty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.