BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

I've tracked my maintenance online with a system I wrote for awhile now...

27K views 36 replies 28 participants last post by  Flash Master 
#1 · (Edited)
See less See more
#6 ·
Thanks Kris! Any way to import an excel spreadsheet I already have going or am I going to have to pay my son for data entry? Where is this info stored? Is it safe? Reason being if I lose my spreadsheet in a CPU crash I am hosed, I have no backup.

#9 ·
Just signed up. Looks very good. Would like to import an excel spreadsheet like others have mentioned. I haven't had much time to play around with the log book but is there a way to schedule future items, similar to Mike Miller's Maintence schedule? I've done this manually on my excel sheet with most wear and tear items just looking for an easier/quicker way to to input data.
Thanks!

#18 ·
my advice is to add a button that imports excel files based on the following:
1. put a template spreadsheet design for the users to know in which format the excel file needs to be saved
2. user browses a file from his PC
3. an upload button to upload the file's data and store them in the database

as for the validation of the file, i would recommend something like handling exceptions for each cell being read, on a row basis.
if a cell triggers an exception, store the entire row (or only the row ID) to be displayed for the user to know which ones he needs to update, with the exception caught, if u want.
the rows that were imported successfully with no errors should be saved, the others to be displayed on the screen based on how u see it fit.

great job on the website :thumbup:
and hope i was a little helpful :D

#19 ·
Hi Heztheone,

Thanks, I was thinking of adding excel input. Realistically, it's a lot of work - if someone wants me to import an excel spreadsheet to the site, I recommend they email it to me. I can do it in a matter of a minute or two. Coding it would take a few hours. If it gets to the point where I'm spending too much time doing it by hand, I'll code it :).

#27 ·
Thanks a lot. I will give it a try

#35 ·
This is great, Kris! :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.