BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

BMW Service Code List-EVERYBODY CAN HELP

239K views 91 replies 61 participants last post by  Terry234325 
#1 · (Edited)
As the result of some recent activities I decided that it might be productive to create a list of the BMW service codes that are used by BMW to code dealer warranty maintenance and repair.

These codes are the ones that appear on the Vehicle History Report that so many find of interest but are unable to read since only the code appears.

The report that is linked below is just a start and I can not assure anyone of it's total accuracy as many of the descriptions have been gleaned from various searches on google, etc.

WHAT IS IMPORTANT IS THAT COLLECTIVELY WE CAN GENERATE A LIST THAT WOULD ALLOW EVERYONE TO HELP EACH OTHER.

All anyone needs to do is look at any warranty or maintenance plan repair order you got from your BMW dealer. In the description for each item there will be a 10 digit code. That's the code that BMW uses to categorize each repair so that BMW can pay the dealer. E-mail me with the 10 digit code and description. That's all that is required.

Please spend a few minutes to help each other.

I'm happy to update the list as often as necessary. All you need to do is e-mail me with your info.

Fred Meloan

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
FDMeloan said:
As the result of some recent activities I decided that it might be productive to create a list of the BMW service codes that are used by BMW to code dealer warranty maintenance and repair.
Click here for the official BMW KSD list as of July, 2003.

Reactions: banglebut
#6 ·
Terry Kennedy said:
Click here for the official BMW KSD list as of July, 2003.
Yikes! What a list!!

I'd much rather just go visit our warranty administrator and have him decode the number in the computer for me... ;)

#7 ·
SARAFIL said:
Yikes! What a list!!

I'd much rather just go visit our warranty administrator and have him decode the number in the computer for me... ;)
Actually, the KSD is very nice - it lets you export the list to a file.

I was thinking about creating a web app that would accept a pasted list of service codes and analyze them for you. If there wasn't an exact match, it would work its way back up the tree to at least tell you the next higher-level subsystem.

#10 · (Edited)
FDMeloan said:
"00" indicates new car warranty and "MP" indicates the Maintenance Plan
Excellent.
My vehicle history has three 00, three MP, and one A5 suffix.

The single A5 Service Code occurred at 9 miles (8 days before the car was purchased).

For others to benefit, do you think the "A5" MASK/ASK Intermittent Radio repair (65100914-A5) has something to do with the initial dealer inspection plan for incoming vehicles
(or, maybe a recall or TSB situation)?

#11 ·
I'm not sure what the A5 indicates but it is certainly within the realm of possibility that a service information bulletin was issued between the date of manufacture and the date that your dealer performed the PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection) on your car. As a part of the PDI the technician would run a vehicle history report which would indicate that there was a campaign or recall on your vehicle. If there was a campaign or a recall on your vehicle the dealer is required to perform the work prior to delivery.

Hope this helps.

Fred Meloan

#12 ·
FDMeloan said:
I'm not sure what the A5 indicates but it is certainly within the realm of possibility that a service information bulletin was issued between the date of manufacture and the date that your dealer performed the PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection) on your car. As a part of the PDI the technician would run a vehicle history report which would indicate that there was a campaign or recall on your vehicle. If there was a campaign or a recall on your vehicle the dealer is required to perform the work prior to delivery.

Hope this helps.

Fred Meloan
How does one get a copy of the repair history? I just bought my first new BMW and I'd be interested in knowing what went on with the car before delivery.

#13 ·
zentenn said:
How does one get a copy of the repair history? I just bought my first new BMW and I'd be interested in knowing what went on with the car before delivery.
It shouldn't have anything in the history if it was sold to you new. Any damage noted or repaired before the car was delivered to the dealer would be in the port report (I think that's what it is called) from the VPC. Your dealer can do an inquiry on their computer for this information.

#14 ·
The thread and the KSD link are very helpful.

My contribution:

0011940100 SIB 11 04 04 (Rod bearing recall on S54 engines).

0023150100 SIB 23-01-04 (I believe this has to do with the M3 SMG relay)

#17 ·
shukster said:
The link where the list of all codes is great, but I did not find the following code in that list
85990089: the dealer told me that it was related to oil
85990089MP is the 15k oil service.

The following are what I remember from my days in service:

85990087MP is the early oil service (the one you get after 1 year with low miles)
85990091MP is the first 15k service (most dealers don't use this special code when they make their claim, though)
85990092MP is the Inspection 1 service (30k)
85990093MP is the Inspection 2 service (60k)

I don't recall the code for the M-car 1200 mile service, but I think it might be 85990088MP.

#23 ·
FDMeloan said:

These codes are the ones that appear on the Vehicle History Report that so many find of interest but are unable to read since only the code appears.

The report that is linked below is just a start and I can not assure anyone of it's total accuracy as many of the descriptions have been gleaned from various searches on google, etc.

WHAT IS IMPORTANT IS THAT COLLECTIVELY WE CAN GENERATE A LIST THAT WOULD ALLOW EVERYONE TO HELP EACH OTHER.

All anyone needs to do is look at any warranty or maintenance plan repair order you got from your BMW dealer. In the description for each item there will be a 10 digit code. That's the code that BMW uses to categorize each repair so that BMW can pay the dealer. E-mail me with the 10 digit code and description. That's all that is required.

Please spend a few minutes to help each other.

I'm happy to update the list as often as necessary. All you need to do is e-mail me with your info.

Fred Meloan
Heres an addition.

Attachments

#25 ·
As you may know, I publish a flat file of BMW defect codes on an irregular basis. These are the codes that show up in a BMW vehicle history report. Until now, if you wanted to know what a code was, you had to look it up manually.

I am making available a beta preview of a tool that will automate this process. All you have to do is paste in the text from a vehicle history report and submit the form, and the relevant service codes will be picked out and decoded for you on the results screen.

The beta preview has a few limitations:

1) It is working off an older, incomplete database.
2) Maintenance plan and similar items are not decoded at this time.
3) The defect codes are truncated at 8 characters.
4) It probably has bugs - I'd like to hear about any issues you encounter.

You can find the tool at http://www.tmk.com/defect-form. For some data to test the form, just do a search on these forums for the text "No open campaigns". That will usually be at the end of the vehicle history report.

Enjoy!

#27 ·
Maxey said:
Hi everyone
Does anyone know what the test codes are which you get on the X3 when you hold the reset milage button down.
Maxey
That's actually a separate topic from this one, which is for the defect codes found in the service history printout from the dealer.

You may find this post helpful if the X3 cluster is similar to the E46 one: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3948&postcount=7

#29 ·
Terry Kennedy said:
I am making available a beta preview of a tool that will automate this process. All you have to do is paste in the text from a vehicle history report and submit the form, and the relevant service codes will be picked out and decoded for you on the results screen.

You can find the tool at http://www.tmk.com/defect-form. For some data to test the form, just do a search on these forums for the text "No open campaigns". That will usually be at the end of the vehicle history report.
I have released a production version of this tool. All of the limitations mentioned in the original announcement have been addressed, and it is now using the February, 2006 defect database.

Enjoy!

This post has been deleted